Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
June

Bachelorette Pad

photo_zps6e03f00d.jpg

A big part of balcony wall was knocked off to bring in more of the greenery into the house. I will see a stretch of greenery when I'm watching tv in the living room.

photo_zps7193333e.jpg

Now the problem is, the hole in the wall is too big and it is directly facing the main door. What are we going to do with this to ensure some privacy and not block the greenery? Have been brainstorming some ideas with contractor. We will have to wait till entire flooring is done before deciding on a solution.

Edited by June

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

More picture update after a quick visit to the flat this morning.

photo_zps48879811.jpg

MBR toilet wall tiles are up. Neat and clean looking. Will add some greenery here when reno is done.

photo_zpsf109a2c3.jpg

See the monster pipe on the floor? Contractor joked that it's like an arm rest for my WC. Now he has to think of a way to conceal it, since I'm not going to have a vanity counter.

photo_zps87b906c0.jpg

Kitchen flooring is in too! Colour was recommended by contractor for contrast with the wood tiles elsewhere. I'm not keen on grey but decided to take a risk and go with his suggestion. So he should be feeling the pressure to pull off the look, not me! Haha..

photo_zpscb34754b.jpg

Here's where the washing machine will be. The ugly pipes are hidden underneath the raised floor.

photo_zps37c6db5f.jpg

Where dining meets kitchen...

Its looking good june! And being utterly unbias, I like the colour choice of ur MBR (I cant see the kitchen flooring very well due to the light reflection) and the wooden tiles looks so real! the tiny spacing in between makes it more laminate looking. When will the cabinets be up? I cant wait to see ur completed kitchen! :sport-smiley-018:

Its looking good june! And being utterly unbias, I like the colour choice of ur MBR (I cant see the kitchen flooring very well due to the light reflection) and the wooden tiles looks so real! the tiny spacing in between makes it more laminate looking. When will the cabinets be up? I cant wait to see ur completed kitchen! :sport-smiley-018:

Hi, I'm not sure when the cabinets will be up. We are still working on the design. That's my top priority in the entire renovation! I have changed the design a couple of times and I'm still fine-tuning it.. But I think we are slowly getting there...Fingers crossed!

Edited by June

photo_zps27e5470c.jpg

This pipe in the kitchen is really an eyesore! A popular way of hiding such pipes is to build a false, tall cabinet around it using the same laminate as the kitchen cabinets so that it blends in with the bottom and top cabinets. But the problem is I won't have any top cabinet on this side of the wall, which means my pipe hidden jn the fake cabinet will look quite jarring...ie. It extends out from the bottom cabinet and has no top cabinet to blend into... (hope you know what I mean). There got to be a better way of hiding the pipe....more brainstorming needed!

photo_zps27e5470c.jpg

This pipe in the kitchen is really an eyesore! A popular way of hiding such pipes is to build a false, tall cabinet around it using the same laminate as the kitchen cabinets so that it blends in with the bottom and top cabinets. But the problem is I won't have any top cabinet on this side of the wall, which means my pipe hidden jn the fake cabinet will look quite jarring...ie. It extends out from the bottom cabinet and has no top cabinet to blend into... (hope you know what I mean). There got to be a better way of hiding the pipe....more brainstorming needed!

build a false wall using partition board, then either you tile that up like the rest of the wall or you can paint it to the colour that you want. you can look at my kitchen where i do not have top cabinets as well and hidden the pipe inside my partition wall that you will not even realised its there.

THis way, its cheaper than using laminate that are same as the rest of the cabinet as laminate is more ex than partition board.

Edited by May_dream1

build a false wall using partition board, then either you tile that up like the rest of the wall or you can paint it to the colour that you want. you can look at my kitchen where i do not have top cabinets as well and hidden the pipe inside my partition wall that you will not even realised its there.

THis way, its cheaper than using laminate that are same as the rest of the cabinet as laminate is more ex than partition board.

Thanks for the suggestion, May! Will check out your blog. Your blog has so many pages like encyclopaedia! I think you need to do a contents page :dancingqueen:

photo_zps27e5470c.jpg

We have the exact pipe at that location too. But I guess everyone does :P We picked a color we liked, painted it and left it exposed. But I guess not everyone likes that. Just a suggestion! :)

Good luck with your reno!

We have the exact pipe at that location too. But I guess everyone does :P We picked a color we liked, painted it and left it exposed. But I guess not everyone likes that. Just a suggestion! :)

Thanks! What a coincidence! I was just looking at pix of your bottom kitchen cabinet! My kitchen area will be quite similar to yours, except for the furnishings. Do you have a problem with oil and fumes bcos you don't have a hood? I'm installing a chimney hood and have been trying to visualize how it will look on it's own without top kitchen cabinet. My contractor even suggested a black hood for wow effect. I'm not sure if I can find one..I also donno whether I can take it! Hahaha

Thanks! What a coincidence! I was just looking at pix of your bottom kitchen cabinet! My kitchen area will be quite similar to yours, except for the furnishings. Do you have a problem with oil and fumes bcos you don't have a hood? I'm installing a chimney hood and have been trying to visualize how it will look on it's own without top kitchen cabinet. My contractor even suggested a black hood for wow effect. I'm not sure if I can find one..I also donno whether I can take it! Hahaha

We don't cook much, so we haven't encountered any problems with fumes or oil. What an experienced ID actually told us was that he found a hood useless (he got an industrial standard one too!) if you really cook a lot and do quite a bit of frying. There will still be fumes anyway, was what he said. So we decided to just go without a hood.

That said, I see no problem with a stand-alone hood! It can be gorgeous in its own right, just make sure you pick a nice hood :D

There are many examples of stand-alone hoods, like here. Or you could even play around with shapes, like here.

We don't cook much, so we haven't encountered any problems with fumes or oil. What an experienced ID actually told us was that he found a hood useless (he got an industrial standard one too!) if you really cook a lot and do quite a bit of frying. There will still be fumes anyway, was what he said. So we decided to just go without a hood.

That said, I see no problem with a stand-alone hood! It can be gorgeous in its own right, just make sure you pick a nice hood :D

There are many examples of stand-alone hoods, like here. Or you could even play around with shapes, like here.

The first pix is quite close to what we have in mind. I don't cook often too, but I have little tolerance for oil and fumes. I mop the floor every time I cook, even if it is very light cooking. I'm hoping a powerful hood can suck in whatever oil there is.... See, I'm paranoid when it comes to oil and fumes. Hahaha! but seriously, I'm going to have some framed pictures in my kitchen ..so need to reduce oil and fumes.

yup, hdb quite standard. the pipe is always next to the wall where the rubbish chute is. so its easier for us all to cover it up. :)

Thanks for the suggestion, May! Will check out your blog. Your blog has so many pages like encyclopaedia! I think you need to do a contents page :dancingqueen:

hahahaha..... the last 10 pages or so are about people asking me for Andrew's number. you need to look at page 30+ to 40+ for the actual info.

My piping is about the same as urs. Initially we wanted to box up the pipe & put tiles, but later changed our mind to cabinet to conceal it. It does look better cos we have top & bottom cabinet next to the piping.

My piping is about the same as urs. Initially we wanted to box up the pipe & put tiles, but later changed our mind to cabinet to conceal it. It does look better cos we have top & bottom cabinet next to the piping.

Hello there! I guess there is really not much of a choice. I have another ugly pipe in the MBR toilet and a not-so- ugly one in balcony.

Ur flat layout is the same as mine.

I choose to hide all the piping.

Hello there! I guess there is really not much of a choice. I have another ugly pipe in the MBR toilet and a not-so- ugly one in balcony.