Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
bleucheeze

When Industrial Meets Mid Century Mod

Having a big headache over kitchen tiles! Already chose a Peranakan inspired design but my contractor and a few friends say it may look a bit messy. Then again, when you step into a kitchen, you will tend to look at things at eye level, right? Anyway, let the pictures do the talking....

PB260042_S_zps5dba46cb.jpg

This is our tiny kitchen before reno...

little3roomresale_kitchen3D_zps1b15dc0d.jpg

Plan to do our kitchen top & bottom cabinets similar to this style (picture above), but in a light brown wood grain laminate for bottom cabinet.

hafary-peranakan-tiles_s_zpsd7df99e1.jpg

This is our shortlisted floor tile. It's one huge 60x60cm piece, 16 designs are printed on one single piece. Due to the small size of our kitchen, the main area will use approximately 9 pieces of 60 x 60cm tiles, this number is excluding the sides where we might have to cut tiles into smaller pieces.

The tile in real life looks more muted than in the photo, there's some sort of washed out effect when you scrutinize it.

What do you guys think? :sport-smiley-018:

i saw this tile @ hafary! this is what i call the patchwork tile! personally i feel it will look great if matched with white kitchen cabinet

villa+lagoon+cement+tile+patchwork+laundry.jpg

be different! go for it! :dancingqueen:

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

I like your choice for the kitchen flooring! I think it is ok for the flooring so long your backsplash/ wall tiles be something more subdued so that the floor will stand out. And choose complementary colors for the kitchen cabinets which I think your choice of light brown wood grain laminate should go well. Will stay tuned to see the end result of your kitchen :thumbs up:

i saw this tile @ hafary! this is what i call the patchwork tile! personally i feel it will look great if matched with white kitchen cabinet

Thanks guys! I'm especially concerned cos Alan also say it may look messy.

@retchlow - Thanks for posting that pix, helps me visualize things! I think you've got a point there, a white bottom cabinet may look better. However, I don't really like the look of white colour for both top and bottom cabinet.

What happens is I will be doing concrete-based bottom cabinet instead of the usual plywood base. Therefore, there will be a row of white tiles across the entire cabinet base (the part closest to floor tile), followed by the wood grain cabinet above (if I choose this colour). I will be using 10x10cm white tiles for this.

My samsung solid surface will be white, plus 3D white subway tiles as backsplash, then white top cabinet above. Using the same 3D subway tiles for the wall, but there is only a small exposed wall area in my kitchen.

Edited by bleucheeze

Or should I choose this tile for kitchen floor?

It has a very interesting rusty kinda effect and is slightly metallic. The top tile is more bronzy while the bottom one is more bluish., It will change the entire look of the kitchen, from slightly retro-ish to more industrial style, which I am afraid may not match my dining area which is right beside the kitchen.

rustylooktiles_zpsc5ef6aac.jpg

Thanks guys! I'm especially concerned cos Alan also say it may look messy.

@retchlow - Thanks for posting that pix, helps me visualize things! I think you've got a point there, a white bottom cabinet may look better. However, I don't really like the look of white colour for both top and bottom cabinet.

What happens is I will be doing concrete-based bottom cabinet instead of the usual plywood base. Therefore, there will be a row of white tiles across the entire cabinet base (the part closest to floor tile), followed by the wood grain cabinet above (if I choose this colour). I will be using 10x10cm white tiles for this.

My samsung solid surface will be white, plus 3D white subway tiles as backsplash, then white top cabinet above. Using the same 3D subway tiles for the wall, but there is only a small exposed wall area in my kitchen.

how about top brown bottom white? LOL

how about top brown bottom white? LOL

I actually thought of this before! But usually people choose bottom brown top white, not sure if top brown bottom white combi will cause an overly heavy /bulky look on top?

Or maybe I can break the top cabinet into two layers? Something similar to this but bottom white --> white backsplash --> brown cabinet --> white cabinet? :dancingqueen:

10_zpsc3a24eda.jpg

Edited by bleucheeze

I actually thought of this before! But usually people choose bottom brown top white, not sure if top brown bottom white combi will cause an overly heavy /bulky look on top?

Or maybe I can break the top cabinet into two layers? Something similar to this but bottom white --> white backsplash --> brown cabinet --> white cabinet? :dancingqueen:

10_zpsc3a24eda.jpg

smooth-white-brown-kitchen-interior-640x340.jpg

i think it looks fine ?

Wah the patchwork flooring above is a much bolder choice and the walls are in checkered yellow! Think not for the faint-hearted :sport-smiley-004:

smooth-white-brown-kitchen-interior-640x340.jpg

i think it looks fine ?

You are so good in finding pix for illustration! Thanks, will think about your suggestion... :)

Wah the patchwork flooring above is a much bolder choice and the walls are in checkered yellow! Think not for the faint-hearted :sport-smiley-004:

LOL! Sharp eyes you've got! :sport-smiley-003:

You can scroll back to page 4, or this link http://www.renotalk.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=53789&view=findpost&p=782609

I ordered a matching pencil leg dining bench as well :sport-smiley-004:

I think the rusty tiles suit your dining set better... But I may be wrong.... Or maybe to be safe, print out the Hafary tiles in several pieces, print also your dining table and put all together. Then see if it will go well? There seems to be a possibility that it will blend beautifully too.

I think the rusty tiles suit your dining set better... But I may be wrong.... Or maybe to be safe, print out the Hafary tiles in several pieces, print also your dining table and put all together. Then see if it will go well? There seems to be a possibility that it will blend beautifully too.

I won't be hacking floor tiles in dining area, it will be the original marble tile. So dining area is marble whereas kitchen will be another tile. The rusty tile seems to be more industrial looking? as it's quite dark in colour, may make the already small kitchen look smaller?

Took some photos of the tiles side by side. Below left is the blue tone rusty/metallic tile, the right one is a medium grey, cement screed like tiles with a bit of lines and hairline crack effect :sport-smiley-018:

Forgot to take sample of the bronze tone rusty/metallic tiles, am thinking it may work better for the kitchen cos it's warmer.

rusty-n-screed_zps38676d9c.jpg

And these are all the 3 tiles put together, right most one is the peranakan/patchwork tile:

3-tiles_zps6d5e6290.jpg

Which one works best for the kitchen floor? :dunno:

Welcome all comments! :)

Edited by bleucheeze

I won't be hacking floor tiles in dining area, it will be the original marble tile. So dining area is marble whereas kitchen will be another tile. The rusty tile seems to be more industrial looking? as it's quite dark in colour, may make the already small kitchen look smaller?

Oh now we understand better!

rusty-n-screed_zps38676d9c.jpg

3-tiles_zps6d5e6290.jpg

Which one works best for the kitchen floor? :dunno:

Welcome all comments! :)

I opt for the peranakan tile! Actually these are 2 extreme looks. One is more traditional while the other is very industrial. Maybe you have to see which kitchen look will 'flow' better with the look of the rest of your place?