Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
ah_kiat

Pub Test

my ID told me that PUB testing is not mandatory and most home owners don't do it. Interestingly enough, the electrician sub-contracted by my ID had initially thought we wanted PUB testing. Hence he charged us 100% more than what he normally does. We found out after we complained abt his overcharging for our normal job (change of electrical switches only, no rewiring) vs usual quotes we found in the mkt. Upon communication then did we realise that he had thought we wanted PUB testing. And when we confirmed that we don't need the testing, he offered to do rewiring for the whole house at a price even cheaper than the original quote for no rewiring. :thumbs up:

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request
my ID told me that PUB testing is not mandatory and most home owners don't do it. Interestingly enough, the electrician sub-contracted by my ID had initially thought we wanted PUB testing. Hence he charged us 100% more than what he normally does. We found out after we complained abt his overcharging for our normal job (change of electrical switches only, no rewiring) vs usual quotes we found in the mkt. Upon communication then did we realise that he had thought we wanted PUB testing. And when we confirmed that we don't need the testing, he offered to do rewiring for the whole house at a price even cheaper than the original quote for no rewiring. :P

ya...that means a lot of wire tapping here and there.

do make sure and confirm with them that there will be no tapping of wires.

a double 13a socket should have 2 pairs of wires running all the way from the fusebox.

a double 13a socket should have 2 pairs of wires running all the way from the fusebox.

I dun think that is correct. If u look behind the double socket, there is only 1 hole for each colour wire. Also, the socket usually has only 1 label, corresponding to 1 MCB at the DB.

I dun think that is correct. If u look behind the double socket, there is only 1 hole for each colour wire. Also, the socket usually has only 1 label, corresponding to 1 MCB at the DB.

ya I think that way too until I talked to a licensed PUB electrician(my bro's buddy).

1 single 13amp socket = 1 pair

1 double 13amp socket = 2 pair

thats the reason why some electrician will charge you $4k but some charge you only $2k.

usually nearly 2 times.

ya I think that way too until I talked to a licensed PUB electrician(my bro's buddy).

1 single 13amp socket = 1 pair

1 double 13amp socket = 2 pair

thats the reason why some electrician will charge you $4k but some charge you only $2k.

usually nearly 2 times.

why need bi-wiring.?

Why?

Why?

why need bi-wiring.?

Why?

Why?

dunno. I got a few quotes $4.5k(approx) and $2k(approx) for mansionette.

when i check with those who quote $4k+, they said the same thing - 1 socket 1 wire, 2 socket(double) 2 wires.

then when i ask my main con($2k+ for electricity), tv area got 2x double socket how many wires? 1wire :notti:

ya...that means a lot of wire tapping here and there.

do make sure and confirm with them that there will be no tapping of wires.

I didn't even know abt 'tapping' concept.. haha.. but my ID volunteered the info that there is no tapping of wires. apparently the previous owner's wires were tapped all over the place.

wat is tapping ?

I'm not an expert but I think it's something in the sense that a good electrical point shd try to get its power source direct from the db box. But to cut cost and save trouble, esp when additional additional electrical points after some yrs, some pple 'tap' another electrical point to be the power provider for a new point. Not sure if I'm clear... :sport-smiley-004:

Hi,

Anyone heard about PUB Test ?

Heard from my ID that after all the electrical works done. You can apply for a PUB Test from PUB to certified that your house is safe. And it is optional, not compulsory. It cost about 200-300+ to get the chop (certified). This is not inclusive of the electrial works quotes from IDs. Many people don't do it.

Please advise if you have experience or heard about this.

Thanks !

Regards.

Called SMB Electric ( contact got from DB ).

PUB testing s not mandatory but in case of insurance claims , the process is smoother meaning that if the TEST is not done , insurance claims will not have a 'rough ride'.

Alternatively , he said that , can have a written agreement with the licence contractors (incl his lco. n licence no.) in regards the safety worthtiness of the wiring / electricity . so play safe...

Edited by sino_74

Do people require a cable (3 core for pos, neg and earth) to be run from a CU RCB to each and every electrical socket (and presumabily each and every lighting switch) ?.

No, this can't be the case. I must of missread. The massive increase in cost of doing this completely unnecessary action (like putting a solid gold stearing wheel in an old Singapore taxi) unless you are running a 30K+ HiFi, have audiophile hearing and wish to isolate the feeding sockets for the HiFi from any mains noise caused by other devices on the ring.

Please can someone confirm that I have missread and that people are not recommending and installing single (3 core) cable for each socket rather than chaining then in a ring main (http://www.diydoctor.org.uk/projects/ringmain.htm).

Tapping as refered to here is the normal way of adding another socket to a ring main or creating a ring main from chaining two or more sockets together under one RCB (http://www.diydoctor.org.uk/projects/Extendingringmain.htm).

It is also worth noting that 'tapping' is what you are doing if you plug in an extantion cable to a wall socket although the wire in the cable is likely to be inferior to the wire used for mains wiring.

Our rewiring just came in at around 4K for a 3 room after a rough quote of 2K+ (yeah it was apparently a very rough quote) but then we have 20+ double sockets, 3 TV points, 2 telephone point, 1 network cable run, oven, aircon and water storage heater cabling. We also got a LBox but got charged seperatly ffor the 14 lights and wiring for the lights and installation of the lights which was not made clear by the ID in his quote.

Oh well

RB

Edited by RimBlock

Hi,

My electrician did tap pt for my PLC downlight frm existing HDB given pt.Up to 5 PLC light.Will it b over load ????

5 PLC is ok. They're not high consumers (e.g fridge, washing machine, oven, dryer).