Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
normanho23

何宅@woodlands Dr 70

Haha... Finally my turn to start my own blog on the progress of my oncoming reno starting from next week.

Just completed my 2nd appt on Monday and is scheduled to take over the unit on 15th Jan. Reno will start on 16 Jan and target to move in by 4 Feb. Total 3 weeks to complete my entire reno process and it is going to be a huge challenge for me as the co-ordinator for the entire project.

Sold my 4A at Woodlands Circle and bought a 5I 120sqm at Woodlands Drive 70 (just across the street). 2 floors below my MIL unit. Think my MIL is the happiest person in the world when she knew that we bought a unit in her block as she comes over almost everyday to play with my kids.

Concept of new house will be both scandinavian + contemporary. Bottomline is to keep the new unit simple, pleasant and welcoming each time I step into the house. Due to the time and budget constraint, no IDs is willing to take up the project as they cannot commit in handling the house to me within 3 weeks. I have to go round sourcing for contractors who can take up the job and do the liaising all by myself.

Details of reno:

1. Complete overhaul of 2 toilets with new tiles.

2. Complete overlay of wall and floor tiles for kitchen.

3. Inovar AC3 laminates for entire house except kitchen and toilets.

4. Knocking down the wall separating the kitchen and living room.

5. Install new system 3 aircon in 3 bedrooms.

6. Built in 11.5ft wardrobe for main bedroom, full height 7ft shoe rack, 10ft TV console, 31ft (top + bottom) kitchen cabinets, 2pcs 2ft toilet vanity top, 2pcs 1ft toilet high cabinet.

7. Caesarstone top for kitchen cabinets and toilet vanity tops.

Nicholas from Renoguyz will be handing the hacking, tiling + plumbing works while the other contractor will handle the electrical, light box, false ceiling and carpentry works. I will not reveal who is the carpenter yet but he has been one of the most patient and best listener that I have come across during my search. He has his own factory and his pricing is also one of the most competitive so far. All my carpentry will come with internal coloured PVC and installation of Hettich + Blum is FOC.

It is going to be a big challenge for me but I trust that when God bless us with this house despite the difficulties I have faced, He will bless us with a smooth renovation journey so that we can make this new place into another wonderful house for our Lord!!!

Pictures will come soon and I hope that all fellow Brothers and Sisters in Christ will pray for me and the renovation process to be completed in time! AMEN!!!

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation

Bought this long tempered glass dining table from OM. Can extend from 1.8M to 2.4M. Perfect for my family of 6 and any gatherings.

OM-HomeExtendableDiningTable.jpg

Also bought 4pcs of the KDK M11SU fans for the kids' rooms and dining rooms. Living hall will have the huge KDK V60WK and masterbedroom will be installed with the V56VK. All white colour. Wanted Haiku but costs is not justifiable. Paid total less than $1400 for 4 fans vs just 1pc Haiku bamboo fan.

KDKRoomFanM11SU-White.jpg

Hi Norman,

Congrats on the new purchase and blog!

I read some of your threads and saw you didn't have a blog , but you finally have one now! =)

Oh...by the way, I am in woodlands too. =)

Will be following your reno...and see how it goes.... =)

Hope you have a great reno journey!

Its great you can have ceiling fans in your house, my ceiling is pretty low only 2.4m so not installing ceiling fan as most in my family are pretty tall and if I raise my hand I can touch the fan. Also I found out that the low height ceiling fans the cooling power is pretty bad, so no ceiling fans for me.

Bought this long tempered glass dining table from OM. Can extend from 1.8M to 2.4M. Perfect for my family of 6 and any gatherings.

OM-HomeExtendableDiningTable.jpg

Also bought 4pcs of the KDK M11SU fans for the kids' rooms and dining rooms. Living hall will have the huge KDK V60WK and masterbedroom will be installed with the V56VK. All white colour. Wanted Haiku but costs is not justifiable. Paid total less than $1400 for 4 fans vs just 1pc Haiku bamboo fan.

KDKRoomFanM11SU-White.jpg

Hi Norman

Where did you buy your fans from? does the cost $1.4k include installation?

:sport-smiley-018:

I'm also thinking of getting ceiling fans. 5 or 6 units. =)

My ceiling height is 2.6M so ceiling fans are pretty ok. $1395 for 6 fans excluding installation from *spam. My electrician will install the fans for me. One of my church mate has the V60 and M11SU installed in her place and I was very surprised by the fan power generated by them. The M11SU are basically installed in rooms that are not more than 3.7M * 3.4M in size so I dun foresee any problem for the little baby to cool the room.

For those who are curious, my total carpentry costs less than $11K. All with internal coloured PVC, soft closing hinges, ABS trimmings, free installation of Hettich and Blum. Can't find anyone else who can offer a better price and yet can commit to install everything before CNY.

Built in 11.5ft wardrobe for main bedroom,

Full height 7ft wide shoe rack cum storage shelf with base,

10ft wide TV console with base,

31ft (top + bottom) kitchen cabinets, bottom all drawers + top all casement.

2pcs 2ft wide suspended toilet vanity top with 2 drawers each,

2pcs 1ft wide and 6ft high suspended toilet high cabinet.

No revealing of who the carpenter is until the final job is completed. Own factory, more than 30yrs in the business so standards should be acceptable to most people.

My total reno cost including aircon, painting, changing of window grilles and toilet doors etc is about $40K.

Is your total cost inclusive of your ceasarstone worktop as well as :

1 Complete overhaul of 2 toilets with new tiles.

2. Complete overlay of wall and floor tiles for kitchen.

3. Inovar AC3 laminates for entire house except kitchen and toilets.

4. Knocking down the wall separating the kitchen and living room.

For those who are curious, my total carpentry costs less than $11K. All with internal coloured PVC, soft closing hinges, ABS trimmings, free installation of Hettich and Blum. Can't find anyone else who can offer a better price and yet can commit to install everything before CNY.

No revealing of who the carpenter is until the final job is completed. Own factory, more than 30yrs in the business so standards should be acceptable to most people.

My total reno cost including aircon, painting, changing of window grilles and toilet doors etc is about $40K.

Welcome to RT and all the best to your Reno.

Me too, like you is trying to complete my Reno within 3 weeks but all wardrobes will be after CNY.

I am surprised that your carpenter can hand over to you in 3 weeks time...I think I will ask my ID come and read this thread. :dancingqueen:

woah 11k is cheap. i will camp here and wait for you to reveal the contact. :D

Multi888,

Haha... this is the feedback that I got from IDs as well. No one is willing to take up my project at my targeted cost and timeline. Almost all are telling me that they can hand over the unit to me end March if I am to start mid Jan due to the long CNY break. As such, I have to go round sourcing for contractors myself so that I can have a house to move in within 3 weeks.

According to Nicholas from Renoguyz, now to CNY is the peak period for carpenters and not tilers. Most hacking and tiling work shd be completed by now for projects that are to be handed to customers before CNY. As such, he can get extra workers for the hacking and tiling works and complete my toilets + kitchen within 2 weeks.

As for my carpentry, I got a contractor who has his own factory and own workers. His workers are working round the clock now without off days till 4 days b4 CNY to complete all projects on hand. Since he is the young boss of the company, he has complete control over the allocation of his workers unlike IDs who share a common pool of contractors. He promised me that he will be able to finish up all the carpentry that I need before CNY but I will be happy to move in with just the kitchen and the wardrobe. If he is unable to complete the shoe rack or TV console before CNY, I just need to move over my existing furniture to the new house.

Dun blame your ID as his hands are tied too due to this super peak period for carpenters. Cheers... and both fingers + toes crossed for you as well.

woah 11k is cheap. i will camp here and wait for you to reveal the contact. :D

Haha... but take note that the $11K is without caesarstone hor. Just the plywood plus laminates from EDL, internal coloured PVC, China made soft closing hinges plus installation. The carpenter saved on the closing tracks as I am getting Hettich tracks for all my carpentry (only $28-30 per set of tracks vs Blum $45-50 and they work the same). My caesarstone costs me $180/pfr for the 2230 Linen model with sharp nose edge. IDs are quoting at least $220 for caesarstone.

Laminate for the carpentry. Nothing fanciful. Just something simple for a pleasant and everlasting feel.

IMG-20130102-WA0001.jpg

Blanco Metra 9 Sink in White. Not grey.

20121217_122731.jpg

This complete set of Hettich fully extendable tracks with soft closing costs about $45 with the 2pcs side metal plates. More than 30% cheaper than Blum.

2012-10-23130441.jpg

Hi Norman,

Thank you for the reply. Appreciate it.

Can I ask how much does your carpenter charge per feet?

So far the quote I got was :

- $240 dollars per feet for wardrobe with casement type of doors (Open door doors) c/w with laminate.

- S319 dollars per feet for ECO sliding door wardrobe with Aluminum glass door finish c/w laminate.

Thank you.

Hi Jaykr,

Estimated $40K inclusive all the stuff that needs installation by contractors. Exclude moveable things like furniture and appliances.