Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios

Borrowing a picture of sheepz's MBR (thanks sheepz!), this is what Alan is proposing:

8437342947_84d2b02446.jpg

Wash Basin in Bedroom by Makanology, on Flickr

On the left of our bed, it will be the door to the MBR so the wardrobe will be built further away to avoid the door... Looks narrow but Alan said it is still ok.

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation

Borrowing a picture of sheepz's MBR (thanks sheepz!), this is what Alan is proposing:

On the left of our bed, it will be the door to the MBR so the wardrobe will be built further away to avoid the door... Looks narrow but Alan said it is still ok.

too narrow , seems like you only have 40 cm to manoeuvre at each side of the bed. can the wardrobe be placed adjacent to the wall separating BR1? I think u have enough space to put your WR there + a wall mount TV.

We have our first contractor (Alan) meeting today and it almost turned out to be a boo boo! I mistook him with another one of the same name. Luckily he called to confirm the venue otherwise we would be wasting for each other at different locations.

:jawdrop: u sure it's the same Alan as mine? LOL

too narrow , seems like you only have 40 cm to manoeuvre at each side of the bed. can the wardrobe be placed adjacent to the wall separating BR1? I think u have enough space to put your WR there + a wall mount TV.

This is not the 3D for our MBR. Used this picture from another forumer as reference. Contractor said it is workable with 800mm left and right for each of us to get out of bed. Also there will be no fake wall or divider between the wash basin and bed. Don't like that as it will make the room smaller. Will wait for his quote and further measurements then.

This is not the 3D for our MBR. Used this picture from another forumer as reference. Contractor said it is workable with 800mm left and right for each of us to get out of bed. Also there will be no fake wall or divider between the wash basin and bed. Don't like that as it will make the room smaller. Will wait for his quote and further measurements then.

80 cm would approx the width of a door so it would be ideal.

Hi

As Alan said, The space is more than enough. :D However, we did not build a wall because we want wind & light from the window.

Edited by sheepz

Also a no no for Mr E BUT I think he may give in to the Dyson Bladeless fan (must be original one). Tsk tsk, my other half is more fussy than me :(

I owned a Dyson blameless fan too. But we are abit regard because its quite noisy compared to normal tower fan. When it's switch on it sounds like an industrial fan and can be heard throughout the whole house.

Edited by sheepz

Wat flooring r u using for the MBR. If laminate, any concern of wetting the floor wif a basin inside? Or u may consider a wet area (tiled) around the basin area. If whole rm tiled then no issue of cos. So eager to see ur final layout.. Ha ha! :)

Edited by jus4fun

I owned a Dyson blameless fan too. But we are abit regard because its quite noisy compared to normal tower fan. When it's switch on it sounds like an industrial fan and can be heard throughout the whole house.

Hi sheepz, sorry that I didn't asked you before for using your photo. I think it is a very good idea to put the basin out so as to free up the space in the MBR. But I am worried about (1) the additional cost to do that (2) my wardrobe now becomes smaller.

Dyson fan: aesthetically, it is very nice! But the price tag is a bummer :(

Right now I am pinning after a haiku but again, price tag is a bummer.

Wat flooring r u using for the MBR. If laminate, any concern of wetting the floor wif a basin inside? Or u may consider a wet area (tiled) around the basin area. If whole rm tiled then no issue of cos. So eager to see ur final layout.. Ha ha! :)

Oh ya hor! Didn't realized that! We hope to overlay the existing tiles with laminate. I hope a pretty rug can help to absorb some of the water splashes ... Or maybe continue with the bathroom tiles and extend a bit into the bedroom?

Oh ya hor! Didn't realized that! We hope to overlay the existing tiles with laminate. I hope a pretty rug can help to absorb some of the water splashes ... Or maybe continue with the bathroom tiles and extend a bit into the bedroom?

Both r possible options. If the latter, let's see the 功力 of ur ID to come up wif a gd design to commensurate wif the MBR finishing. If the former, do take note of the kind of laminates to use. Sm r only moisture-resistant, while sm better (n more exp of cos) ones r water-resistant. The jointing technology oso essential. B sure to ask ur ID/supplier hor..

Oh the different types of laminate - yes, must do research on this. We will be getting a dog in future and he/she is expected to pee around the house for the first few months before properly toilet-trained. So I think we need better laminate...

I think our bigger problem is that the current tiles in the living room may not be even. My HTB felt it but I couldn't feel anything. Not sure if we can overlay cos hacking the living room and bedrooms' tiles will add onto the cost, sighz

Hi sheepz, sorry that I didn't asked you before for using your photo. I think it is a very good idea to put the basin out so as to free up the space in the MBR. But I am worried about (1) the additional cost to do that (2) my wardrobe now becomes smaller.

Dyson fan: aesthetically, it is very nice! But the price tag is a bummer :(

Right now I am pinning after a haiku but again, price tag is a bummer.

Hi Makenology,

No worry, its meant to be shared with fellow reno people. I loved to read the t-blogs here & see people renovate their house. Recently I'm into learning about compact living renovation, etc.

I have a few suggestion and perhaps you can consider and check with your designer:

suggestion.jpg

1. Constructing low closet drawers will make the room smaller as it will take up the floor space. Instead you can build closet shelves above (extending all the way to the window) to stall away clothes such as winter wear, extra pillows that you seldom use it. And you can add in down lighting for your television to create additional mood lighting for your room.

2. Currently your room door seems to open towards the wall. Looking at your floor plan, the wall next to the door seems like a big space that can construct more closet space. You can consider either to change your room door to a sliding door (if you have the budget) or change the opening direction of the door towards your bed.

4. Don't waste the space next to the door if its wide enough to accommodate a customize shelves. It will be a wasted space of just for the door. I believe the space next to the door can build a wardrobe for your to stall away your bags, jeweleries, etc. With that you can add more closet space.

3. Once you have the divider between your vanity, you won't have enough space for side tables. You can consider my bed head design by constructing drawers to create more storage space. It's very useful to put alarm clock, bedside light & the drawers can stall away my cosmetic,books, etc. One lesson I learn is make sure you get the designer to build hidden compartment beneath the table top which can accommodate extension wires. We have alot of device on the bed table top such as handphone charges, table lamp, etc and because during that time I did not research enough we overlook this.

Our vanity area cost us $1490 to build a false wall (we shifted the door to the toilet to accommodate the vanity area)and the vanity. Remember to get the designer to install a glass backsplash. Previously, we only have a painted wall and the water will be splash on it & gets moldy.

backsplash.jpg

Edited by sheepz