Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios

I think you are right! Lucky we don't intend to hack any wall but the next question is: if we install the city gas heater, can they drill the pre-fab walls to install the gas pipe to the master bathroom?

(now worried :(

Dun worry bro! Sure there's a way to do it. U wont be the first one in ur type of flat to run City pipe gas to the MBR toilet lah! Probably ur ID/contractor, or the guys from City Gas can advise u. Cheers!

Edited by jus4fun

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation

Your 3A layout looks similar yet different... interesting! We were debating whether we can fit the dining table in the living room earlier. Having burnt many, many hours at IKEA, we used their furniture measurements, calculated countless times and concluded: there is no space for a dining table, not even a 4-seater in the living room. We will have to settle for that in the kitchen. A dining table in the living room is nicer especially when we intend to entertain. People sitting there can still watch TV and enjoy the ceiling fan/ AC. But in the kitchen, there will be no TV. We will however, install a small ceiling fan (1 more to clean)!

Ya, it's sure interesting to find so many differnt types of layout within the 3-roomers alone. We r so lucky to hv the larger 3A compared to other 3-roomers, arent we? :good:

U r so right bro! Before my reno, there's no way to fit a dining table in the LH. Thus i nvr had anyone over for a meal or so. Simply not conducive to hv it in the kitchen :( I'm lucky to be able to re-config it a bit to what i hv today. Enjoy having my buddies & kakis over for gathering now..:) U still hv time to study & review ur needs. Tok to more IDs/contractors. U'll b surprised at wat brilliant ideas some of these fellas may hv for u to achieve ur goals! :idea: After all, they hv done up more hses than we hv seen ourselves ya! ;)

Er.. by the way, u may wish to reconsider having a ceiling fan in the kitchen. I hv a ceiling fan each in my LH, MBR & BR2. Without oil & grime, already need to clean them every 1-2 months. Imagine the condition in the kitchen.. :P

Yes that's the worry of having a ceiling fan in the kitchen. But my HTB (Mr E) totally hates floor-standing fans, desktop fans and wall-mounted fans. So we are left with ceiling fans :(

Anyways Mr E is tall and so cleaning the fan regularly will be his 'department' :D

Serious? Is your new place near to JP? The famous Boon Lay power nasi lemak is located at Boon Lay market...I have lived in Jurong almost my whole life but never get to try this. The queue is just too long. Also the duck noodle there is not bad!

heard abt the power nasi lemak, yet to try!... This RT post is making me hungry.

Would be good if someone who have tried the Boon Lay Power nasi lemak to give a review. Strangely I have lived in the west for almost my whole life but I never tried it before! Yet I have eaten the Changi Village nasi lemak umpteen times despite it being on the extreme opposite end of the island.

Edited by Makanology

Tomorrow we are meeting our very first contractor. Hope this will distract us from the agony of waiting for our 1st appointment.

Since we know what we want, we will be putting our ideas on paper and bring them along tomorrow. Guess this should give the contractor a better idea of what we aim to achieve.

We will have to share our likes & dislikes I suppose eg no wall/ desk/ floor fans, no bifold or PD doors, no safe color scheme, no white color sanitary ware, no top kitchen cabinets etc. And that we will supply our own sanitary ware, faucets, wall tiles, craft bricks, ceiling fans, lights, switches, hood & hob, aircon - well I guess that is quite normal?

Just pray that the contractor will not see us as fussy folks (cross fingers)!

Edited by Makanology

Tomorrow we are meeting our very first contractor. Hope this will distract us from the agony of waiting for our 1st appointment.

Since we know what we want, we will be putting our ideas on paper and bring them along tomorrow. Hope this will give the contractor a better idea of what we aim to achieve.

We will have to share our likes & dislikes I suppose eg no wall/ desk/ floor fans, no bifold or PD doors, no safe color scheme, no white color sanitary ware, no top kitchen cabinets etc. And that we will supply our own sanitary ware, faucets, wall tiles, craft bricks, ceiling fans, lights, switches, hood & hob, aircon - well I guess that is quite normal?

Well done! :thumbs up:

U'll get better & better with each meet-up! Njoy! :)

Was browsing through the forum and realized there are many many many 3-roomers here. Can't help to think that 3-rooms are 'in the trend' now. Though the layout for the different 3 room configuration varies slightly only, we have seen different decor styles. Would be nice if someone can compile these together and create a club or something!

Edited by Makanology

• Like 1

Yes that's the worry of having a ceiling fan in the kitchen. But my HTB (Mr E) totally hates floor-standing fans, desktop fans and wall-mounted fans. So we are left with ceiling fans :(

Anyways Mr E is tall and so cleaning the fan regularly will be his 'department' :D

How about tower fans? :D That's what we're getting! Looks pretty sleek at least

Since we know what we want, we will be putting our ideas on paper and bring them along tomorrow. Guess this should give the contractor a better idea of what we aim to achieve.

Renovation so much money... of course must be fussy la... :lol: No worries about being fussy (we all are!). This looks like a pretty good start! :)

Was browsing through the forum and realized there are many many many 3-roomers here. Can't help to think that 3-rooms are 'in the trend' now. Though the layout for the different 3 room configuration varies slightly only, we have seen different decor styles. Would be nice if someone can compile these together and create a club or something!

Check out the T-blog by dexufto "We Live Love Laugh" http://www.renotalk.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=31653 whereby he compiled a list of 3-roomers' T-blogs. Though not very current but good ref for ideas =)

How about tower fans? :D That's what we're getting! Looks pretty sleek at least

Also a no no for Mr E BUT I think he may give in to the Dyson Bladeless fan (must be original one). Tsk tsk, my other half is more fussy than me :(

Also a no no for Mr E BUT I think he may give in to the Dyson Bladeless fan (must be original one). Tsk tsk, my other half is more fussy than me :(

Ask bro E to consider air-con in kitchen too.. kekeke :P

Hmmm he will sure ask if I have gone mad LOL! Anyways we will be looking for black ceiling fan cum light. Hope there are matt black fans so maybe not so obvious if they become oily? Mr E promises to wipe them once a month. I must go buy and make him use HappyCall to minimize the splatter. And also will make the fullest use of AirFryer!

We have our first contractor (Alan) meeting today and it almost turned out to be a boo boo! I mistook him with another one of the same name. Luckily he called to confirm the venue otherwise we would be wasting for each other at different locations.

Alan seems patient and open-minded. He seems to be able to grasp our ideas and was amused when we showed him our choice of lighting and colors. At least his reaction was not negative and he didn't try to change our minds unless it is not practical. He also agreed that since we can't hack any pre-fab walls, we have to make do as best as we can.

Which is, or well, 2 key changes we have to make:

(1) If we do the brick wall and colorful tiles in the kitchen, there will be too many lines/ boxes/ grouts and visually 'disturbing'. (Actually when we shared our initial idea, I started to visualize and figured out this cannot be done). So Alan suggested that we go for cement wall and he also shared some tips on how to maintain it.

(2) Alan took it rather well when my Mr E shared his 'gila' idea of a wet area for shower in the master bathroom. Kudos to him for not dissing the idea off :D But he highlighted that Mr E ain't that small (his physique is bigger than the average S'porean guy) so if we want a glass shower screen in the MBR, it would be a squeeze for him. In any case, big size or small, Alan said there is no way we can do a vanity cabinet in our MBR.

So...he suggested that we shift the basin into the master bedroom! That will serve as our powder room too!

Now, the 1st thought I have was ALAMAK, how much will this cost us? And the room big enough meh? Of course, something has to go - that will be my L-shape wardrobe. This is horrifying to me; how am I supposed to squeeze all my barang in 1 miserable tiny wardrobe and still share with Mr E? I have no intention to put my clothes in the common room. So Alan solved the problem with another practical suggestion: construct a lower, perhaps narrower chest of drawers that will be built along the wall, opposite the bed.

Hmmm, will try to draw this on my floor plan and share. Till then, we shall wait 'patiently' for his quote!