Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios

Hi simplehuman, so sorry to hear that! Our sliding windows were done by Alan's sub-con but they are for the rooms facing the common corridor. Hence there is a buffer before the rain can splash and hit our windows.

So far for our casement windows, no leakage problem (touch wood!) but we must admit his sub-con's work quality and attitude was very sloppy! Silicon stains on the glass panes, dirty window tracks, dirty rubber seal between the glass panes & window frames, uneven alignment, left-over debris all over etc etc

In fact, the sliding grills were not secured at all, despite rounds of 'rectifications'. One can easily slide it open even when locked. In the end, we resolved it ourselves with our experimental DIY :(

Did you try to call Alan to rectify the leakage problem?

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation

Hi jayque, no worries about the comments here! Did you try to discuss with the plumber directly? We found it so much easier and quicker by liaising directly with his sub-cons.

Ah Beng the plumber was assigned to us and he's not bad though sometimes, a bit 'eat snake'. But he works fast and he's open to ideas. Quality of work also not bad. Maybe you can request for him?

Nope... didn't contact him to rectify... long given up on him....

Ever since he collect 90% payment, its really hard to get him to do any sort of rectification.. We consistently nagged and sms him every other day for previous rectifications and he simply reply with lots of excuses and empty promises... we tolerated this for almost 3-4 months... in the end, we called his sub-cons directly instead and he still dare to call to scold us and accuse us of not respecting him!! Lucky for him, his sub-con did come down. otherwise, we'll be approaching CASE/ small claims tribunal for help already!

anyway, he has achieved his aim... we won't be contacting him... ... if we really can't live with that fault, we'll find another contractor to rectify... he's a **** jerk.

Hi simplehuman, we always felt that Alan is very fortunate to have a group of reliable sub-cons, well at least most of them are. For us too, their sub-cons saved the day for us.

Hope you can fix your leakage problem easily. One of the forumers, inthechouse is using their own window contractor instead of Alan's. Decent work quality & professional (so far from what I read on their tblog). Maybe you can ask him for help to take a look at your windows?

inthechouse, mainly the dimensions and measurements. For example, 1m became 1.1m base, cabinet height 34" became 35" even though this was written on paper and on the wall, and even drawn on the floor. I asked to leave 32" for walkway, became 29".

Actually to be honest, I'm not pissed off at getting these things wrong. Everyone makes mistakes. As long as it is rectified properly, I'm cool with it. However, it is the attitude that he gave (makes me feel like he is more of a customer), and even telling us off saying we kept having changes (when he got the details wrong), that irks me.

Not to mention the numerous things forgotten. Sigh.

Don't know how many more surprises I'm gonna get.

Edited by jayque

Along the way, we added more stuff to the house:

11144688305_3a44910635.jpg

Supposedly vintage-looking post box by Makanology, on Flickr

11497094326_5c9a0d929b.jpg

It is a dog-friendly home! by Makanology, on Flickr

Just celebrated our first Christmas at our place with some besties:

11546198306_72483136b4.jpg

Christmas meal with besties! by Makanology, on Flickr

We ended Christmas Eve with the funniest scene:

11546075135_710a577deb.jpg

I am a dog, not a reindeer! by Makanology, on Flickr

Merry Christmas everyone!

Along the way, we added more stuff to the house:11144688305_3a44910635.jpgSupposedly vintage-looking post box by Makanology, on Flickr11497094326_5c9a0d929b.jpgIt is a dog-friendly home! by Makanology, on Flickr

Just celebrated our first Christmas at our place with some besties:11546198306_72483136b4.jpgChristmas meal with besties! by Makanology, on Flickr

We ended Christmas Eve with the funniest scene:11546075135_710a577deb.jpgI am a dog, not a reindeer! by Makanology, on Flickr

Merry Christmas everyone!

Hi makanology ,

Merry Christmas !

Your roasting tray looks robust. Can it be used over direct flame as well ? Am looking for a big roasting tray where I can deglaze it over the stove and make gravy.

Edited by macuser77

Hi Macuser77,

Merry Christmas to you and Mrs! Nope the tray is just for baking use, not for direct flame use. Maybe you can consider getting a crockpot or a casserole dish? The latter can also be used in an oven but to be safe, double check before you buy :)

Edited by Makanology

Hi EMinlove, you mean this?9312646371_ed4d75b4ec.jpgKitchen storage 1 by Makanology, on Flickr

They are bought from An Huat tile shop opposite Great World City. $35 per piece, cash & carry. 60x60cm.

Yaya! Cause a glipse from your earlier photo....Wow even nicer to see it in full piece! Good taste!

Loved how you overlay your walls in the kitchen and da SMEG :)

Do did you put up the random craftstone designs on the wall? Thinking to put some hulk inspired design in the spare room ;p

Hi g0mug0nu, thanks for your kind words & Merry Christmas! The kitchen is our favourite room at home. We are glad that the risk to put the wood like tiles (usually for the floor) onto the walls instead paid off!

For the bricks, Mr E drew on the walls so that the tiler could follow and stick the bricks. We used a mixture of 2 colors & grey grouting for the raw look.

11434350294_54e48b1d81.jpg

Top of all doors not painted! by Makanology, on Flickr

6 months have passed since we moved in and today we found shoddy work done by Alan. His painter did not paint the top of all doors, including the main door. I mean, shouldn't one be proud of their work and do a complete job? There is simply no professionalism shown.

i went back to check mine yesterday and notice this as well. not sure this is "normal market practice" or just pure "eat snake"... sigh.

btw i am using Dorothy though, not Alan. hmmm... the longer we stay there, the more shabby jobs we find out...

Edited by vw7983

Thanks for the recommendation, but really quite sian to go thru more reno works in the house.... each time the contractors come, bound to have lots of cleaning up work to do... tolerated living in a work-in-progress house for almost a year... dun want to go thru the hassles anymore...

Anyway, we only noticed the rain came in during the recent heavy thunderstorm although during the haze period, we already suspected that Alan's windows are not too good already... too bad we did not ask him to rectify at that time...

Edited by simplehuman