Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

We are facing problems with the pipes for our kitchen tap. We bought the Delta tap from Amazon and it is based on US fittings. Does anyone have a plumber to recommend, preferably one that is familiar with US tap fittings? (I remember seeing it on one of the threads but just couldn't recall the exact one!) TIA!

Hey Mr & Mrs E!

Finished browsing through your entire thread, so sorry to hear of your misfortunate experience. But despite all the rough sea, I must still say that your house looks great! (Minimal credit to your contractor)

Just some random questions below! :)

This happens when you have cousins who are MORE enthusiastic than you

8552480775_c25b3f1588.jpg

They bought kerosene lamps for our place! Can't use them literally lest we burn down the block

Just curious, so did you all do anything to these 2 pretty pieces?

I see the beautiful legs of that table! Is it hard to DIY? Dyou just screw on a table top for that? Cheers!!

• Like 1

We are facing problems with the pipes for our kitchen tap. We bought the Delta tap from Amazon and it is based on US fittings. Does anyone have a plumber to recommend, preferably one that is familiar with US tap fittings? (I remember seeing it on one of the threads but just couldn't recall the exact one!) TIA!

Hi makan, any luck in fixing up your faucet? I am planning to get the delta as well.

I recalled someone mentioning they could fixed American faucets but seem to find that post. Though I remembered Greg mentioning some connectors thingy so not sure if its related.

Hi makan, any luck in fixing up your faucet? I am planning to get the delta as well.

I recalled someone mentioning they could fixed American faucets but seem to find that post. Though I remembered Greg mentioning some connectors thingy so not sure if its related.

Hi bert,

This is mr E here. I have just recently replaced my water outlet to the sink, as well as the faucet fittings due to dumb plumber using sub-standard stuff and also "stealing" the hoses that came along with the kitchen/bathroom faucets.

For your information, over here in SG and Asia, we are still using the old 1/2" fitting. You ll be able to see those regular hose fittings in hardware shops everywhere. However, MOST faucets which you buy overseas especially UK/EU or the US are supplied with 3/8" fitting on one end, and 1/2" on the other. Reasons for the 3/8" fitting is because its smaller and easier to fix up when you have tight corners to reach under most kitchen sinks.

And for most under sink water filter systems, the common size used is 3/8". Hence, this explains why faucet connectors are using 3/8" by faucet manufacturers to facilitate on the ease of installation.

I managed to replace the water outlet with the following items so as i can install and use the 3M under sink filtrate system.

Faucet Connector, Braided Stainless Steel - 3/8" Female Compression Thread x 1/2" I.P. Female Straight Thread

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51GSRAa2Y8L._SL1500_.jpg

This is the image of the required or supplied faucet connector. NOTE the both ends of the hose. The larger one is 1/2" which is commonly used here. Length is entirely up to you, you can choose a shorter one if you need.

And from the water outlet, you will need this:

3/8-Inch by 3/8-Inch by 1/2-Inch Low Lead 3-Way Valve

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51QFxSgE4QL.jpg

Regarding this, Delta faucet has two levers, so you ll need two faucet connectors, and a 3 Way Valve. Just like what the picture has shown.

Types of Fittings

http://img03.taobaocdn.com/bao/uploaded/i3/T1nUjUXlFiXXa2BfYa_120829.jpg_460x460.jpg

And also, you will need an adaptor to fit it. The adaptor which you are looking for is type A. This can be found in most hardware shops here, you can bring along the 3 way valve, and compare the sizes to make sure you are buying the right stuff.

Advice:

It is nearly IMPOSSIBLE to buy a 1/2" to 3/8" adaptor here and most shops will say that it is expensive. Likewise, the hose with 1/2" end and 3/8" on the other end as well.

Reason is that such connectors are usually provided by most reputed faucet manufacturers and given default in the package, so do make sure your plumber do not "conveniently" take it along. This is also why almost nobody manufactures such parts since everything has been given already. Most plumbers will install the old 1/2" end to 1/2" end quietly instead of using the default faucet connectors given. I don't think locally purchased faucets gives such faucet connectors as well.

The excuse they give, is that since you don't use the hot/cold water hoses, you don't necessary need to use them. However it DOESNT matter if there's no hot water, because the default faucet connector can still be used regardless.

Do make sure all the valves which the plumber has fixed, are not comprised of multi-pieces being held up by sealing tape. This was the what happened to me. By the time you noticed, they will be long gone and will not do any rectifications.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/92625284@N07/13463796654/

Example of a multi-piece being held up with sealing tape. I opened it up and it becomes two pieces. This will leak eventually after some time...

Somehow, i believe this is a common industry practice especially when most new home owners are beginner laymen. There is no way we will know that at all. So, a smart house owner or house renovator, we need to be scrutinising the work most of the time and inspect on it. It ll definitely save you much time and costs then the hassle of problems later on.

Hey Mr & Mrs E!

Finished browsing through your entire thread, so sorry to hear of your misfortunate experience. But despite all the rough sea, I must still say that your house looks great! (Minimal credit to your contractor)

Just some random questions below! :) Just curious, so did you all do anything to these 2 pretty pieces?

I see the beautiful legs of that table! Is it hard to DIY? Dyou just screw on a table top for that? Cheers!!

Hi there,

E here. :) Thanks for the compliment. Regarding the legs, it all depends on the condition of it. Basically, since such legs are rather old and worn, there are bound to be plenty of dust, grease and random <insertnameofwhatever>.

I wouldn't say its very difficult, but it does take some time especially the cleaning up and the spray work. I used a metal brush to scrub out the dirt, and sanded it down using sandpaper on stubborn "bumps" which refuses to come off. You gotta wash off the grease, else the spray work wouldn't be lasting.

Lastly, for the tabletop, you will need to measure the cross section of the table, mark it down so that it ll be even. However, not every pair of legs are made symmetrically, so you would have to adjust to your liking and not too obviously in terms of alignment. The wheels on the feet would be difficult because they are made of cast iron/steel, so if you are placing them on wooden laminates, you will end up damaging the floor.

I suggest hard flooring like tiles etc. Do use a piece of hard rubber bumper sticker (those which you stick on cupboard doors to avoid slamming) on the wheels to protect any flooring in any case.

Hi bert,

This is mr E here. I have just recently replaced my water outlet to the sink, as well as the faucet fittings due to dumb plumber using sub-standard stuff and also "stealing" the hoses that came along with the kitchen/bathroom faucets.

For your information, over here in SG and Asia, we are still using the old 1/2" fitting. You ll be able to see those regular hose fittings in hardware shops everywhere. However, MOST faucets which you buy overseas especially UK/EU or the US are supplied with 3/8" fitting on one end, and 1/2" on the other. Reasons for the 3/8" fitting is because its smaller and easier to fix up when you have tight corners to reach under most kitchen sinks.

And for most under sink water filter systems, the common size used is 3/8". Hence, this explains why faucet connectors are using 3/8" by faucet manufacturers to facilitate on the ease of installation.

I managed to replace the water outlet with the following items so as i can install and use the 3M under sink filtrate system.

Faucet Connector, Braided Stainless Steel - 3/8" Female Compression Thread x 1/2" I.P. Female Straight Thread

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51GSRAa2Y8L._SL1500_.jpg

This is the image of the required or supplied faucet connector. NOTE the both ends of the hose. The larger one is 1/2" which is commonly used here. Length is entirely up to you, you can choose a shorter one if you need.

And from the water outlet, you will need this:

3/8-Inch by 3/8-Inch by 1/2-Inch Low Lead 3-Way Valve

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51QFxSgE4QL.jpg

Regarding this, Delta faucet has two levers, so you ll need two faucet connectors, and a 3 Way Valve. Just like what the picture has shown.

Types of Fittings

http://img03.taobaocdn.com/bao/uploaded/i3/T1nUjUXlFiXXa2BfYa_120829.jpg_460x460.jpg

And also, you will need an adaptor to fit it. The adaptor which you are looking for is type A. This can be found in most hardware shops here, you can bring along the 3 way valve, and compare the sizes to make sure you are buying the right stuff.

Advice:

It is nearly IMPOSSIBLE to buy a 1/2" to 3/8" adaptor here and most shops will say that it is expensive. Likewise, the hose with 1/2" end and 3/8" on the other end as well.

Reason is that such connectors are usually provided by most reputed faucet manufacturers and given default in the package, so do make sure your plumber do not "conveniently" take it along. This is also why almost nobody manufactures such parts since everything has been given already. Most plumbers will install the old 1/2" end to 1/2" end quietly instead of using the default faucet connectors given. I don't think locally purchased faucets gives such faucet connectors as well.

The excuse they give, is that since you don't use the hot/cold water hoses, you don't necessary need to use them. However it DOESNT matter if there's no hot water, because the default faucet connector can still be used regardless.

Do make sure all the valves which the plumber has fixed, are not comprised of multi-pieces being held up by sealing tape. This was the what happened to me. By the time you noticed, they will be long gone and will not do any rectifications.

Example of a multi-piece being held up with sealing tape. I opened it up and it becomes two pieces. This will leak eventually after some time...

Somehow, i believe this is a common industry practice especially when most new home owners are beginner laymen. There is no way we will know that at all. So, a smart house owner or house renovator, we need to be scrutinising the work most of the time and inspect on it. It ll definitely save you much time and costs then the hassle of problems later on.

Thanks Mr E for the detailed explanation... I am amazed how you managed to figure all this out by yourself. I will probably need some time to digest because it does sound complicated heh..thanks again

I'm curious as to why the t-piece was held by tape and not screwed directly to the other piece? Different sizing or just laziness? I'm assuming the plumber is Alan's subcon?

I'm curious as to why the t-piece was held by tape and not screwed directly to the other piece? Different sizing or just laziness? I'm assuming the plumber is Alan's subcon?

Hi, E here. When i removed it, the threading on both ends doesn't hold up at all unless you are using a rubber water-tight seal and lots of sealing tape.

Apparently from what the hardware store guy remarked: it is common for plumbers to "re-use" and "re-fit" old/reconditioned or wrongly bought parts with odds/ends of pipes because majority of home owners couldn't tell the difference so long it works. However, upon prolonged use, the sealing tape within loses it tightness and water starts seeping through. That is when your new plumber comes and fix up the problem and realised that the previous plumber scrounged and gave re-fitted custom parts instead of a proper 3 way angle valve.

I believe it s all about costs for these people. Lazy people wouldn't really go to all the extend to refit or recondition parts just to change a dime. I guess there are some sub-cons who just didn't want to spend any money and give clients what they paid for, when they can get away with doing something like this. In my line of work, there are "short-cuts" as well. Instead of wasting money to buy purple paint, we mix red and blue paint to get the right shade of purple and we are able to stock up on the desired colour for future use.

very hands-on, Mr E! only if the installation is done properly, one wont hv needed to go through such trouble.

Thanks man. Exactly my sentiments. Thats when you start trusting your contractor/sub-cons all the way and realised that there's almost certainly a shortcut for whatever they do. Again, trust and confidence is lost that way. I wonder if the contractors/sub-cons will do that with their own homes. Makes me wonder...

Thanks E, that's very informative on the plumbing aspect! I will definitely check all the joints for the correct threading connections after they are done.

I also had my parts taken away. Not sure if I should classify it as stealing or simply their habit of using their own methods and keeping what is left (on the assumption that we the owners would not need them, would not want them, and would not have known anyway).

Bought a number of Toto washlets (bidet). They came with a nice stainless steel T joint, to tap water supply from the water supply to WC. However, as I had installed an additional water supply specially for the bidet, this T joint was not needed. The plumber could connect directly. But I did not check, left the boxes unopened to the plumber. Few weeks later, after all the other toilets had already been fitted, I bought another box for another toilet. That was when I found out there was this piece. But too late to go back to look for the plumber.

I may not have needed to use that piece, but I could use it for other purposes in the future. In fact, I almost needed it for another tap. Anyway, I like to keep such parts. So, if it is mine, you should not take it. If you want it, you should ask. We should always check. Not just the plumbers but everyone. I like to keep the manuals for everything I buy but often the workers just throw them away.

I am a little shocked by the method of using lots of tape to secure the joints. Hope I don't have this problem.