Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
OceanEleven

Back To The West

Since most of the service yard wall has been hacked, why not hack the upper portion too? That upper portion is unlikely to be a structural beam. With the entire wall removed, the kitchen will look more airy and spacious.

If the upper portion is not supported by a horizontal beam, or with re-bars, and is just loose bricks and concrete previously supported by the lower portion, I think you should check with your ID or contractor on whether need to remove it. Or it might one day come crashing down. If you want, you have re-erect the upper portion.

For my kitchen, I did a low window that spans the entire width of the kitchen wall. There were existing high windows, so I removed parts of the wall in between the windows. The moment I removed them, the upper wall came down. Gravity. I had to re-erect the upper wall above my intended low window.

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

Ahhh!!! Guru had spoken. Pending photos. :notti:

But seriously, does it aide in backaches? Had been looking at Herman Miller Aeron and Duorest.

What's the damage from Ergoworks?

Ah. Not nice to post pics on other people's blog. You can check out Ergoworks website at http://ergoworks.com.sg/index.php/d2-100-fabric.html

I recall I paid less than $1,000 but that was a few years back. I think Herman Miller would be several times that price. No idea whether it helps to prevent backaches.

We are thinking to replace all the windows. They are at least 12years old.

Upon checking, most are still in working condition, barring a few loose locks.

Any resale owners to giver a pointer or two?

We are thinking to replace all the windows. They are at least 12years old.

Upon checking, most are still in working condition, barring a few loose locks.

Any resale owners to giver a pointer or two?

No idea if it's true, but 2 separate contractors told me that the original HDB windows are 'good quality' aluminium, should keep if they are in good working condition.

If you see my blog, I am keeping mine. {or most of it.}

For mine, those in the service balcony needs to go due to the faulty track....I went to verify, it's true that one of the windows track has some problems, one pane of window cannot slide unless I push VERY hard...and the 2 rusty rusty bathroom lourve type windows. :bleah:

For mine, those in the service balcony needs to go due to the faulty track....I went to verify, it's true that one of the windows track has some problems, one pane of window cannot slide unless I push VERY hard...and the 2 rusty rusty bathroom lourve type windows. :bleah:

Same here, going to keep majority of the original HDB windows. Service yard windows going to be replace with new.

Window contractor suggested using sliding window for service yards. As for the grilles, use horizontal grilles for the complete house.

These are to be replaced. Still pondering on casement or sliding.

20140119_144554.jpg

Same here, going to keep majority of the original HDB windows. Service yard windows going to be replace with new.

Window contractor suggested using sliding window for service yards. As for the grilles, use horizontal grilles for the complete house.

20140119_144554.jpg

Same here.

Will do horizontal grilles if I am gg to replace them too.

(*Esp the window by the corridor)

• Like 1

Same on my side...will be getting sliding window for service yard. But then, I am used to sliding windows, so would have asked for sliding anyways even if not suggested by contractor.

I am also replacing all the grilles for the whole house....doing horizontal grilles too. Easier to wipe lah....just straight across. Lazy person here! :notti: My current window grilles are like yours - bronze with squarish patterns.

• Like 1

Hahaha totally agree that the horizontal grilles not only is nicer looking and also easier maintenance :P

MBR Washroom.

The lady opted for a dark outlook, pairing with light colour floor.

Pardon the poor quality pictures, will update more in the later stage.

20140223_153035.jpg

20140223_153055.jpg

Taobao & Tmall

The interest and and enthusiastic in Taobao and Tmall has always been high among folks. Most can spend hours and days searching for the ideal item to purchase.

Then again, some pre-requisite are required before one can venture further. Able to read Chinese, is half the job then. The rest, there is always Google Translate.

Just to pen down some thoughts and journey went thru. Searching for the dream item is not the hard part. There some many items to of various design, pattern and colours to choose from. Choosing to buy from who is the tricky part. First there is Taobao and Tmall. So what is the difference? From what I understand, Tmall are more of a premium sellers. Chances of getting fake stuffs from there are lesser the sellers are more reputable, quality assurance is there as well. Then again, this does not means Taobao has no good stuffs or mainly fakes. Practice some due diligence, if an offer looks too good to be true, then mostly it is.

For me I will look for those with 1) sales transaction 2) comments 3) higher diamonds seller. Read thru the comments, make sure the comments are coming from different names and also are frequents buyers and not some bogus buyers. Takes a little time but normally shall pay off well.

Next, the interesting part, all vendors has a MSN like chat 阿里旺旺, if you are able to type Chinese, download it. You can chat directly with the seller, asking questions of your concern and clarify some doubts such as colour & dimensions (esp for wood grain furniture). And seriously, you can bargain a little as well if you are buying a few items or more, or request free delivery to an address in China. With chatting, the seller can "custom" a link for you to meet your requirement be it the pricing or dimensions. Troublesome you may say but to me, it is part of the fun of online shopping.

I always chat when buying big ticket items and kinda get a little discount here and there. I was looking for some rain shower head, found this vendor, chat with him and found out that he is selling bidet spray as well but not listed on his site. So he sent me some pics, ask him about the material so end up buying 2 shower head and 2 bidet from him. He gave me a discount and I got some savings. Now he is offering me with more of his products for my consideration, send me mails with pics of some faucets and taps, will seriously consider if the price is right. Actually there is a small hiccup when buying from him, we both calculated the wrong amount to pay, I paid RMB60 more and the same evening, he refunded me straight away.

If you ask me, do I trust them? Yes and no. Yes because the Chinese are slowly moving into the phase understanding the importance of customer service, word of mouth. Passed were the days where they do guerrilla warfare, whack & run. No due to the lack of monitoring in QC and sometimes one may get a lemon item once in a blue moon. Still it wont deters me from continuing to buy from there for some items are pretty enticing. Like a study table, local prices are like $500 up to $1k or more, carpentry is like $120 per foot run, while in TB/Tmall, you can get easily for approx. $300. Makes it more appealing if you are buying 2.

Later I will post abit on how and who I used to ship the items.

• Like 1

Hi Ocean,

pls share more about your Taobao experience, as well as the best way to pay. I recall that you wrote about Alipay shopping card on NingNing's T-blog. I believe you mentioned there is no need to pay agent fee if using Alipay shopping card? Do clarify.

I hope to buy something from Taobao too.

Thanks.

Edited by Harriette