Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
OceanEleven

Back To The West

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation

Time for choosing flooring. At the very beginning, already decide to go for laminates but then learnt of vinyl in the market.

So did some study and realize perhaps vinyl may be a better option after all.

As mine is a resale unit, the flooring are laminate, after removing, the previous layer of tiles are revealed.

This is perfect for overlaying with vinyl, no need for hacking, no need for leveling and no need for cement screeding as well.

In a way, there is some savings for myself.

So why vinyl over laminates. Simple reason, it looks like wood but without the wood properties.

Laminates are not exactly waterproof. If water are left on laminates, it will absorb and swell over time.

Laminates are also more hollow when step on and not as resistant as vinyl.

Vinyl needs no skirting but laminates is a must due to contract expand properties of wood. so there is always a small gap at the edge of the wall.

Hence skirting are needed to cover up this gap. From what I understand, replace a defect piece of vinyl is easier than laminate.

For vinyl, simply replace the defect one while laminate have to start from the wall nearest to the defect piece.

There are concern of vinyl emitting poisonous gas but local brands have this covered.

Most had sent to relevant authorities and pass the requirement test. The gas concerned here is formaldehyde which is harmful especially to children.

Passing the test does not mean no gas but more likely means within an acceptable level. No brand will be "champion" to tell you no gas whatsoever.

Then and again, if we cant do anything about the annual haze, why the concern about these, let alone the daily fumes fro the traffic.

Another plus point about vinyl that appeals to me is the texture and grooves, it provides friction prevent slipping when wet and feels great like wood.

Next time shall go a little on the brands and pricing. :lol:

Looking forward to more details... I am contemplating between laminates and vinyl also.

Brands and Pricing for Vinyl

So far I had only compared 2 brands, namely Evorich and Krono.

With laminates out of the pictures, so does Supreme, Pergo, Tarkett etc too.

Evorich as many will know is aggressive with marketing and promotion. Sponsoring TV shows and attending excitations and mind you, these cost money.

My gut feel is that what the psf price offered during exhibition can be offered during walk in as well.

Main factor deciding what price you get is the floor area you are doing. If you are doing a complete 5 room compared to doing 3 bedrooms for a 5 room, chances are you are able to bargain a better psf price.

So note this when considering, it should the same for any brand of flooring – area dictates.

Evorich import their flooring from the States but the hearsay is that the States dealer gets their stock from China.

So if this is true, at the end of the day, we are paying for made in China product.

No that I have a problem with this but simply for knowledge purposes.

Anyway, the walk in psf is approx. $7 but roadshow/exhibition prices vary which as mentioned, depends on area.

From friends and fellow reno bloggers,I have heard can be anywhere from $6 to $6.25.

The feel and texture are pretty alluring and comes in many shades of wood and grains, a worthy consideration if one like what they see and feel.

Evorich market their vinyl as HERF ie. High End Resilient Flooring. And yes, it sound sophisticated.

Next, there is Krono. A brand known more for their laminates. This was introduced to me by my ID.

They had brought in vinyl flooring as well but not aggressive in marketing. Matter of fact, you cant even find this product on their website.

I had visited their showroom; there are 17 colours to choose from, with 7 more to come in April.

Seriously, texture and feel wise, it is hard to tell them apart from Evorich. Perhaps one a little more matt while the other is slightly glossier.

The range is pretty comprehensive and enticing. I would say one or two colours will meet one's preference

Krono’s vinyl is from Korea, well that’s what I heard and their pricing is approx. almost $1 cheaper than Evorich – ranges like $5plus

Samples from both brands I had, look similar to me. When lie side by side, I cant tell them apart.

I stand corrected, both products are actually OEMs, meaning factory manufacture for them, but branding and marketing done by their own companies.

After looking thru both companies and knowing I have no beef with my pocket, I went with Krono.

• Like 2

13A Power Point - The price difference between one and double power point is a mere $10-$20, so most owners will go for double at a given point.

Then it is the cost of a double point that is the killer. Prices ranges from $60 or more per double. So if you place gonna install 15 double point, you know your math.

After reading your post, I go and ask my electrician, and he tell me he charge no different between one and double power point, SO I ask him to change mine to all double instead! (Previously I had a few single points) :D:lol:

Thanks for your post!

seriously ? wow. then must change all to double.

mine single or double got difference. think about 30%

Edited by alfredt

seriously ? wow. then must change all to double.

mine single or double got difference. think about 30%

Ya, My electrician says he charge the same price. So I scold my ID why never tell me so important information. lol

Lidat of course do all double mah. lol :bleah:

• Like 1

Some Amazon Purchase :thumbs up:

Evriholder Magic Holder 5-Position Wall Organizer

image2-1.jpeg

Honeywell RCWL300A1006 Premium Portable Wireless Door Chime and Push Button

1.jpeg

simplehuman Tension Arm Paper Towel Holder, Stainless Steel

4.jpeg

Simplehuman KT1116 Sink Caddy, Suction Cup, Brushed Stainless Steel

2.jpeg

SANGEAN WR-11 AM/FM Table Top Radio

image-1.jpeg

image1-1.jpeg

Some Amazon Purchase :thumbs up:

Evriholder Magic Holder 5-Position Wall Organizer

image2-1.jpeg

Honeywell RCWL300A1006 Premium Portable Wireless Door Chime and Push Button

1.jpeg

simplehuman Tension Arm Paper Towel Holder, Stainless Steel

4.jpeg

Simplehuman KT1116 Sink Caddy, Suction Cup, Brushed Stainless Steel

2.jpeg

SANGEAN WR-11 AM/FM Table Top Radio

image-1.jpeg

image1-1.jpeg

Am looking at buying Simple Human products too. Do share reviews after using :)

Thanks!

At this point of time, I would really like to give credit to my ID, Mr. Foo from Custombox.

Not only he accompany us to choose tiles, despite only for only 2 washrooms and kitchen.

He was there when running electrical,helping to decide where are the points and switches.

Also he was there to help deciding where to run the aircon trunking and also the plumbing.

To me, these 3 are important phase in the reno It will define future functionality and also the current cost plus aesthetic matter.

Some due to lack of planning, runs into extra cost of boxing up ugly trunking or changing of carpentry to accommodate the trunking.

Much thought has to be given to electrical, mainly the 13A plus and the switches.

Eg. many will have living/dining light switches at the house entrance and may forgetting a 2 way switch to off these light from the MBR end.

Imagine the inconvenience of offing the light at the entrance and to walk to MBR in the dark. :curse:

• Like 2

Hi OceanEleven,

I have also engaged Foo for my house. I am also very pleased with his helpfulness, imagine we spent 3hrs at the tile shop and the day after I asked for change to colour combi for one of the toilets. He was very nice about it though I felt bad though.

Have just started hacking last week so hopefully a smooth Reno process as well.

Will keep checking back for more of your updates.

Wishing you a smooth smooth Reno journey!

Hi OceanEleven,

I have also engaged Foo for my house. I am also very pleased with his helpfulness, imagine we spent 3hrs at the tile shop and the day after I asked for change to colour combi for one of the toilets. He was very nice about it though I felt bad though.

So you meant you had employ Mr. Foo for the design while Alan handle the work?

At this point of time, I would really like to give credit to my ID, Mr. Foo from Custombox.

Not only he accompany us to choose tiles, despite only for only 2 washrooms and kitchen.

He was there when running electrical,helping to decide where are the points and switches.

Also he was there to help deciding where to run the aircon trunking and also the plumbing.

To me, these 3 are important phase in the reno It will define future functionality and also the current cost plus aesthetic matter.

Some due to lack of planning, runs into extra cost of boxing up ugly trunking or changing of carpentry to accommodate the trunking.

Much thought has to be given to electrical, mainly the 13A plus and the switches.

Eg. many will have living/dining light switches at the house entrance and may forgetting a 2 way switch to off these light from the MBR end.

Imagine the inconvenience of offing the light at the entrance and to walk to MBR in the dark. :curse:

Meeting him tomorrow at my house.

Will keep you all update.