Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
OceanEleven

Back To The West

Small but cute Dulton magnet clock on my fridge. From TB and cost RMB65.

Solves the issue of no wall space in the kitchen or those who did not wanna drill a hole on the wall.

But be warn, this is a real small piece, OD is 73mm only.

IMG-20140727-WA0009.jpg

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

Solves the issue of no wall space in the kitchen or those who did not wanna drill a hole on the wall.

IMG-20140727-WA0009.jpg

Nice! I like the look of Dulton stuff. I didn't get this but I got a fridge magnet timer.

The area now......

Still trying to mix and match to get the desire feel.....

Tough job especially when I am the one doing the shifting around while "someone else" doing the ordering....

With down lights on

20140820_174109.jpg

With down lights off

20140820_173959.jpg

IMG-20140727-WA0009.jpg

Bro, can share with us the link? Thanks.

Time for choosing flooring. At the very beginning, already decide to go for laminates but then learnt of vinyl in the market.

So did some study and realize perhaps vinyl may be a better option after all.

As mine is a resale unit, the flooring are laminate, after removing, the previous layer of tiles are revealed.

This is perfect for overlaying with vinyl, no need for hacking, no need for leveling and no need for cement screeding as well.

In a way, there is some savings for myself.

So why vinyl over laminates. Simple reason, it looks like wood but without the wood properties.

Laminates are not exactly waterproof. If water are left on laminates, it will absorb and swell over time.

Laminates are also more hollow when step on and not as resistant as vinyl.

Vinyl needs no skirting but laminates is a must due to contract expand properties of wood. so there is always a small gap at the edge of the wall.

Hence skirting are needed to cover up this gap. From what I understand, replace a defect piece of vinyl is easier than laminate.

For vinyl, simply replace the defect one while laminate have to start from the wall nearest to the defect piece.

There are concern of vinyl emitting poisonous gas but local brands have this covered.

Most had sent to relevant authorities and pass the requirement test. The gas concerned here is formaldehyde which is harmful especially to children.

Passing the test does not mean no gas but more likely means within an acceptable level. No brand will be "champion" to tell you no gas whatsoever.

Then and again, if we cant do anything about the annual haze, why the concern about these, let alone the daily fumes fro the traffic.

Another plus point about vinyl that appeals to me is the texture and grooves, it provides friction prevent slipping when wet and feels great like wood.

Next time shall go a little on the brands and pricing. :lol:

Glad to have decided to revisit your blog again.. Actually to read up abt TB buying process.. end up saw your post abt vinyl.. Am contemplating to have it in my resale unit.. one of the ID's suggested SUPREME brand (i havent shortlist my ID yet), but I was concern abt the gas thingy as i have 3 young kids and a dog..

Was there a reason y u did not select SUPREME?

Living Room Cabinets with TV Console and Altar up.

Pardon the dark pictures for the place has no lighting now.

The laminates has a texture feel to it with grain lines running top down.

Anyway, these pictures are not doing them any justice. :bleah:

IMG-20140618-WA0047.jpg

IMG-20140618-WA0049.jpg

IMG-20140618-WA0045.jpg

IMG-20140618-WA0043.jpg

Hi Ocean11, its me again. Can you pm me the cost for your tv console? Did Mr Foo design this for you or you came up with the idea.. Am having a headache thinking how my house tv console cum cabinet shld look like as my hubby has lots of dvds, and wants also display area for his trophies..

Appreciate your help. TIA

Glad to have decided to revisit your blog again.. Actually to read up abt TB buying process.. end up saw your post abt vinyl.. Am contemplating to have it in my resale unit.. one of the ID's suggested SUPREME brand (i havent shortlist my ID yet), but I was concern abt the gas thingy as i have 3 young kids and a dog..

Was there a reason y u did not select SUPREME?

Did not visit Supreme, Krono was recommended by Mr. Foo who I later dealt directly with.

He had used them in some of his projects and he find them comparative with others and pricing is also on the more reasonable side.

I only did the comparison with Evorich and price is the dictating factor.

At $1psf cheaper, it is a straight forward decision for me as I am doing approx 1000 square feet.

I had both samples, felt them, hold them and dont see any major difference.

Well, only point to nit pick perhaps is one might fancy the colors offered by either brand.

Fumes wise, never smell anything or feel uncomfy till now, all is good and fine.

Hi Ocean11, its me again. Can you pm me the cost for your tv console? Did Mr Foo design this for you or you came up with the idea.. Am having a headache thinking how my house tv console cum cabinet shld look like as my hubby has lots of dvds, and wants also display area for his trophies..

Appreciate your help. TIA

I told Mr. Foo with what I want and he came up with the ideas and design. Along the way small improvisations here and there.

If you want to do it my way, with a long enough wall and space (width of living room) to incorporate these monster cabinets, it is a good way to have more storage.

These cabinets are full height, ceiling to floor, depth of 600mm. Average carpentry cost like $200 up per foot run (full height) , measure your wall and do the math.

For eg. if doing my size of cabinet but to display DVDs only then I feel it is a waste of money as DVDs takes up little space (width x length).

Further to this, if wanna display them, means either open shelving or a glass door cabinet. Open means dust collecting and agonizing when cleaning.

Glass doors are another ball game totally. Cost will go up, on top of the average $200 per foot run, plus glass attracts dust, finger prints and stains.

Wiping with a damp cloth leaves water. ie. High maintenance.

TV console depends on if you wanna wall mount or use the TV stand. TV stand is straight forward; a flat top for the TV to sit on is good enough.

If wall mount, do you wanna a tilt only mount or full motion mount. Tilt only is, well tilts up and down only.

A full motion mount is one where the TV can be pull away from the wall and swing left and right, cater for viewing from different part of the house.

However, full motion comes at a price, ranging from $250 and up, with or without installation.

Mine went thru Samsung, paid $280 including installation.

If dont intend to spend so much, Lack from Ikea has proper wall mount shelf unit for DVDs storage.

For TV console, you can source from Tmall/Taobao, ranges from $200 up, $150 shipping (estimate).

I suggest to go for those solid wood type, cost more to $500 up range, comparing with local price, still a great deal even after shipping.

Hope this helps you with your planning and have a good reno journey. :thumbs up:

Did not visit Supreme, Krono was recommended by Mr. Foo who I later dealt directly with.

He had used them in some of his projects and he find them comparative with others and pricing is also on the more reasonable side.

I only did the comparison with Evorich and price is the dictating factor.

At $1psf cheaper, it is a straight forward decision for me as I am doing approx 1000 square feet.

I had both samples, felt them, hold them and dont see any major difference.

Well, only point to nit pick perhaps is one might fancy the colors offered by either brand.

Fumes wise, never smell anything or feel uncomfy till now, all is good and fine.

Thanks for ur reply. Good to hear tat u din smell anything or feel uncomfy.. If I ever consider will get ID to let me see at lthe diff brands as comparison.. :)