Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
OceanEleven

Back To The West

I told Mr. Foo with what I want and he came up with the ideas and design. Along the way small improvisations here and there.

If you want to do it my way, with a long enough wall and space (width of living room) to incorporate these monster cabinets, it is a good way to have more storage.

These cabinets are full height, ceiling to floor, depth of 600mm. Average carpentry cost like $200 up per foot run (full height) , measure your wall and do the math.

For eg. if doing my size of cabinet but to display DVDs only then I feel it is a waste of money as DVDs takes up little space (width x length).

Further to this, if wanna display them, means either open shelving or a glass door cabinet. Open means dust collecting and agonizing when cleaning.

Glass doors are another ball game totally. Cost will go up, on top of the average $200 per foot run, plus glass attracts dust, finger prints and stains.

Wiping with a damp cloth leaves water. ie. High maintenance.

TV console depends on if you wanna wall mount or use the TV stand. TV stand is straight forward; a flat top for the TV to sit on is good enough.

If wall mount, do you wanna a tilt only mount or full motion mount. Tilt only is, well tilts up and down only.

A full motion mount is one where the TV can be pull away from the wall and swing left and right, cater for viewing from different part of the house.

However, full motion comes at a price, ranging from $250 and up, with or without installation.

Mine went thru Samsung, paid $280 including installation.

If dont intend to spend so much, Lack from Ikea has proper wall mount shelf unit for DVDs storage.

For TV console, you can source from Tmall/Taobao, ranges from $200 up, $150 shipping (estimate).

I suggest to go for those solid wood type, cost more to $500 up range, comparing with local price, still a great deal even after shipping.

Hope this helps you with your planning and have a good reno journey. :thumbs up:

U r really good w details.. Thanks a lot. One of the ID charged me $240 per foot for full height cabinet.. Not sure watz d mkt rate now as I have others tat charged more.. :(

The DVDs are to be kept in the cabinets.. N we have at least 2 dhl jumbo boxes keeping them now.. Thus the requirement for cabinet space at tv console area.. Whilst having said tat.. U have said out my concerns for glass display cabinets for HIS TROPHIES!! Hopeing to find a way where he can SHOW yet can MINIMISE CLEANING.. Headaches!!

Actually, we areadi have our 50" LED samsung tv mounted on wall w soundbar, so.. Tats not much of an issue.. Coz either mount on or stand.. With the intention of refurbishing my current unit, the mounted on TV will have to be unmounted.. Heh

Haiz... Did show the consoles from TB/Tmall to hubby, but he no interest..

Really grateful for ur detailed info.. Will look further into tis tough 'project' of mine.. :)

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

Ocean What is the laminate code for your tv console ?

Apologies, I cant remember. Choosing was done mainly by CO and Mr. Foo.

But I think the brand is Lamintek.

Kitchen Sink from Tmall : Selena

Been using for a while already, so far so good.

20140902_182026.jpg

Simplehuman SInk Caddy. Stainless Steel from Amazon.

Bulid is good and sturdy, suction is firm on the stainless steel sink :thumbs up:

20140902_182044.jpg

Kitchen Faucet from Taobao.

It is pretty tall, approx. 70cm. Bulid is sturdy with a hefty feel.

All in all sink plus faucet, slightly less than SGD300

20140902_181945.jpg

• Like 1

Kitchen Sink from Tmall : Selena

Been using for a while already, so far so good.

20140902_182026.jpg

Simplehuman SInk Caddy. Stainless Steel from Amazon.

Bulid is good and sturdy, suction is firm on the stainless steel sink :thumbs up:

20140902_182044.jpg

Kitchen Faucet from Taobao.

It is pretty tall, approx. 70cm. Bulid is sturdy with a hefty feel.

All in all sink plus faucet, slightly less than SGD300

20140902_181945.jpg

Your sink quite useful

Containers made from carpentry. Courtesy of Mr. Foo

Good for storing umbrellas, brooms, mops etc

20140829_195723.jpg

Nice! I've been looking for a nice umbrella holder too. Unfortunately the ones that I like are too expensive and can't find on taobao.

Masterbed Room Flooring Up.

IMG-20140410-WA0009.jpg

IMG-20140410-WA0011.jpg

IMG-20140410-WA0013.jpg

hi, did u sand ur screeding from hdb first before laying the herf? i have contractor tell me their screeding is not optimal for laying vinyl straight.

hi, did u sand ur screeding from hdb first before laying the herf? i have contractor tell me their screeding is not optimal for laying vinyl straight.

Mine is an old resale. Previous owner has laminate on which I removed.

I overlaid on existing tiles so there is no screeding and the flooring is pretty level.

Only issue is the leveling on the balcony part.

Very nice.. You move in already.. No show complete pics..

The long boxes is really a good idea.. Nice!

Thanks, already move in. However still pending small touch up and rectification.

Part and parcel of renovation. :D

Nice! I've been looking for a nice umbrella holder too. Unfortunately the ones that I like are too expensive and can't find on taobao.

Forget to mention, these are made by the carpenter, courtesy of Mr. Foo.