Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
elin1029

My First Renovation Experience

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

Hi

Just stumbled onto your blog. I know you already messaged me and I replied. But i feel that since you paid for Blum (and they agreed to change?), you should insist on Blum. Otherwise, you will always regret every time you open your drawer. Every time you show your kitchen to friends, you have to explain: I paid for Blum but etc etc..... It is very 'sian". Happened to me before. I paid for some expensive toilet seat but they delivered a cheaper version. Because some time had passed, I let it past. But for several years, every time I sit on the WC, I cannot help but think of it.

I don't know if it is true that fabricating this was more expensive than Blum. Most likely, it should be cheaper. It does not make sense for a worker to spend more money to do something when Blum is cheaper. Perhaps, they forgot you wanted Blum.

Thanks for sharing your experience. I also think Blum drawers are more expensive too.

Me thinks change to BLUM too better.........

I was thinking to change too since I was quoted and I have paid for them. But finally probably not because of several reasons: 1. The current drawers may fit the theme of the house better. The look of the wooden drawers is more consistent with the cabinet style compared to metal Blum ones. 2. I don't like to see things being wasted. These drawers have been fabricated. Would be a waste for them to throw these away and make new ones using Blum side panels. 3. My uncle is a contractor specializing in carpentry work and my mum once mentioned they incur losses sometimes when home owners are not happy with what they fabricated and they have to fabricate again. So I feel for the carpenters too. 4. Mr K said he didn't earn much from my project, wouldn't want to make him incur losses. So I think I will live with them.

• Like 1

hi, im interested in your dog bed if it is still available. thanks!

Hi, it's been reserved, and there's another on the wait list, will put you on the wait list and I'll let you know if the first two didn't work out. Thanks for your interest.

Thanks for sharing your experience. I also think Blum drawers are more expensive too.

I was thinking to change too since I was quoted and I have paid for them. But finally probably not because of several reasons: 1. The current drawers may fit the theme of the house better. The look of the wooden drawers is more consistent with the cabinet style compared to metal Blum ones. 2. I don't like to see things being wasted. These drawers have been fabricated. Would be a waste for them to throw these away and make new ones using Blum side panels. 3. My uncle is a contractor specializing in carpentry work and my mum once mentioned they incur losses sometimes when home owners are not happy with what they fabricated and they have to fabricate again. So I feel for the carpenters too. 4. Mr K said he didn't earn much from my project, wouldn't want to make him incur losses. So I think I will live with them.

You are really nice! But the normal drawers just doesn't justify for the price you paid for. It is tough to get him to give discount/refund since you have already paid in full. How about get him to do some additional mini project for your house? Like some customised shelf for service yard or so...

How come cant see the images in the first few pages... :(

Hi,

May i ask why issit that i'm not able to see the pictures that you've posted? :dunno:

The album on google+ was removed, let me try upload again.

You are really nice! But the normal drawers just doesn't justify for the price you paid for. It is tough to get him to give discount/refund since you have already paid in full. How about get him to do some additional mini project for your house? Like some customised shelf for service yard or so...

Don't think it's possible because they are claiming otherwise, saying these drawers are actually more expensive. Well my plan is, when these drawers break down, I'll get Blum drawers next time.

Don't think it's possible because they are claiming otherwise, saying these drawers are actually more expensive. Well my plan is, when these drawers break down, I'll get Blum drawers next time.

by the same token, i wonder if we were to get our own Blum drawers, can we ask the contractor to take out some costing in their quotation? since i saved the fabrication of those drawers etc. i paid $1k plus to buy my own Blum drawers but the quotation still the same leh...

each blum drawer is approx $100 (bigger more expensive) so when you review your quotation does it seem reasonable? wooden drawers is abt $120-150 per foot run so use this as a gauge.

Edited by mellenur

by the same token, i wonder if we were to get our own Blum drawers, can we ask the contractor to take out some costing in their quotation? since i saved the fabrication of those drawers etc. i paid $1k plus to buy my own Blum drawers but the quotation still the same leh...

each blum drawer is approx $100 (bigger more expensive) so when you review your quotation does it seem reasonable? wooden drawers is abt $120-150 per foot run so use this as a gauge.

Thanks for the info. When you say Blum drawer, is it a drawer all ready to be installed or the carpenter still has to fabricate the front panel? I just read about your Blum adventure, I'm surprised you had to get them yourself.

And I guess it depends on how your contract is worded. When your contractor quoted for the kitchen carpentry, did the quote include Blum drawers or drawers of any sort?

Thanks for the info. When you say Blum drawer, is it a drawer all ready to be installed or the carpenter still has to fabricate the front panel? I just read about your Blum adventure, I'm surprised you had to get them yourself.

And I guess it depends on how your contract is worded. When your contractor quoted for the kitchen carpentry, did the quote include Blum drawers or drawers of any sort?

hi elin1029, for most still need to fabricate the front panel. i thought $110 per foot run was a steal to get Blum so I kinda expected it. don't know if i'm correct. :dunno:

no he didn't mention blum in the contract. he did say he could provide soft closing but hubby insists on blum.

now i'm worried.... :jawdrop:

Hi elin,

Congrats for your new home!

Your wooden drawers actually looks nicer than the metal drawers.

Blum offers runner system (blum track underneath wooden panel) as well as the tandem box system (metal drawer). Prices are available for download. Just need to Google for the price list.

Technically speaking, they are all still blum system. If you need to verify you can take out the drawers and look at the runners. The runners should have blum logo engraved on them.

Can't wait to see your photos after you reload them.

Hi elin,

Congrats for your new home!

Your wooden drawers actually looks nicer than the metal drawers.

Blum offers runner system (blum track underneath wooden panel) as well as the tandem box system (metal drawer). Prices are available for download. Just need to Google for the price list.

Technically speaking, they are all still blum system. If you need to verify you can take out the drawers and look at the runners. The runners should have blum logo engraved on them.

Can't wait to see your photos after you reload them.

Thanks Klimoo. Yes I actually prefer the look of the wooden drawers, but worry they may not be as durable as the Blum metal ones. And of course the thought that I didn't get what I paid for.

The carpenter is supposed to come today to replace all the generic hinges to Blum ones, but I was just informed he's sick and will come another day.

I guess lesson learnt from my experience is to remind and confirm with your contractor what you'll be getting. I left it to the contractor to handle everything and by the time I realised after everything is up, it's too much of a hassle and a waste to change. If I didn't continue to read the forum (and seen other post proudly about their Blum), I wouldn't have gone to check my drawers and hinges. I hope these are honest mistakes.