Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
yan01

Settling In A New Home

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

ID updated us that tml will be the on site measurement for my carpentry ... tt also means my tiling phase is finally over! *yeah! :dribble: :dribble: :dribble:

i guess you can never finish buying things for house reno, and ytd was the toiletries shopping ... the purchasing of stuff is just never ending!

12827979994_b1d009f536_c.jpg

we bought:

• x1 mirror
  • x2 toilet paper holder
  • x2 towel hook
  • x2 corner rack for shampoos/shower gel
  • x2 bidet spray set
  • x2 clothes hanger
  • x1 clothes hanger (to mount it behind MBR door)

and all add up to $350 :jawdrop::jawdrop: i think the price looks ok individually, but scary when accumulated. till now i dare not calculate my total spending yet... :dunno:

on a side note, today is the 1st wave of delivery. lights; fans; hob and oven. we will be delivering those sim siang choon items tml, tgt with my taobao rain shower set ... the kitchen tap is still on its way shipping .. hope its in time for the installment!

the delivery guy called me just now b4 gg down ... to check if there is someone at home to receive the goods... i quickly called my ID to make sure he's ard .. as i passed him the cheque for the balance payment ... my ID actually said this to me: "give them my no. and ask them call me directly, tell them don kajiao u..." :wub::wub: i thot tt was nice of him ... hehe ... :sport-smiley-018::sport-smiley-018:

time really fly .. when u need to juggle work, reno & ......................................

12828761493_c8bbb8158a_c.jpg

solemnization is next week only ! :rolleyes::D:P:o:unsure::dribble::blink::huh::lol: (a mixture of feelings hehehe)

tips & tricks for sound bar (copied from philips support forum)

12763815183_b0edac7f63_c.jpg

1. Center the SoundBar right under the TV for a balanced sound experience, so picture and sound play from the same origin — just the way the cinema engineer intended.
  2. Place the SoundBar so that the speakers are in line with your ears. This lets you hear more detail, especially at high frequencies. However, this should be balanced with the preferred height of your TV.
  3. Leave at least 1 meter of space between the SoundBar and both sidewalls so the sound reflects in a balanced, symmetrical way.
  4. To experience the maximum surround sound effect, allow 3 to 8 meters distance between the sound setup and the listening area.
  5. Make sure the SoundBar doesn’t block the TV screen – the TV should be elevated higher, or be wall mounted.
  6. The ideal place for the TV and SoundBar is on the wall: if the TV is wall mounted, the SoundBar can be easily mounted under it with the supplied bracket. You can then remove the feet pads for a cleaner look.
  7. If wall mounted, leave a 10 to 15 centimeter gap between the SoundBar and TV, so you can access the top control panel and vertical disc loader (for most of our models).
  8. The subwoofer can be placed anywhere in the room as long as it’s at least 1 meter away from the main unit. This prevents sound vibrations from interfering with the disc reader. Leave about 10 centimeters between the subwoofer and the wall to let sound carry with the airflow.
  9. Obsessed with replicating the ‘live’ experience? Then place your subwoofer on the right side of your TV and SoundBar – the bass and brass section of an orchestra are traditionally located on that side.
  10. Great sound also depends on your home environment. A room with curtains and carpet helps to dampen the noise reflections for more authentic sound. Speakers and subwoofers out in the open also produce better sound – so avoid placing them in an enclosed shelf and cupboard space.

my ID drew a very nice detailed drawing of all my carpentry works, just like how i learn my D&T back in my sec sch days! as for my TV feature/console, ID thot we are jus placing the soundbar on top of the drawers ... but we are actually gg to mount it! haha ... ID says he normally leave a standard hole for the TV cables at 1100mm from floor for TV mounting.

now the measurements are very impt for us becos we are having a soundbar below the TV and future expansion of TV size affects where the TV should b hung now... :unsure: and once the hole is drilled, its there forever!

12763699625_01c0366e56_c.jpg

tentatively we are eyeing on a 50" TV. so now i'm not sure if its ok to leave 10cm from the drawer and 10cm from the TV. i think i shld hav a hole for the cabling to rch the soundbar too? so it will b neater and concealed ... for any bigger TV in the future, i guess i won't get anything bigger than 60" ... cos its either too ex or its too huge for the small living area. just in case i get richer next time :dribble: the 60" TV will leave only 3.2cm gap from the soundbar ... and 6.4cm gap if its 55" TV, which i'm not sure if its too narrow. and oso i dono whats the probability tt i will upgrade the TV in the future. :blink: hmmm should i leave a 15cm gap from the TV to play safe? but visual wise, i personally feel it looks more sleek with the TV and soundbar close tgt ... :help::help::help:

Any idea how to choose a good sound bar? Hubby & I are still thinking if we should spend on one..

And btw, congrats on your upcoming solemnisation! Enjoy the special day :wub:

OMG im so happy to randomly chance upon the display glass cabinet!! :sport-smiley-004::sport-smiley-004::sport-smiley-004:

12832837593_c7109d2e80_c.jpg

12832832533_17a50fe2f8_c.jpg

was lost when ikea's went out of stock but finding these definitely make my day :lol: ..

hehe thnx :wub::wub:

haha perhaps u wanna load a thumb drive with some classic kenny g mp3, play it loud at the stores n c which one let u hv a better feel … tts wad we do when we r choosing … anyway if u wan a solid one choose a 5.1. sound bar can nv win tt...

Any idea how to choose a good sound bar? Hubby & I are still thinking if we should spend on one..

And btw, congrats on your upcoming solemnisation! Enjoy the special day :wub:

hehe thnx :wub::wub:

haha perhaps u wanna load a thumb drive with some classic kenny g mp3, play it loud at the stores n c which one let u hv a better feel … tts wad we do when we r choosing … anyway if u wan a solid one choose a 5.1. sound bar can nv win tt...

Lol, makes sense to try out our fav music.. thanks for the tip! Will do more research on sound bars and hopefully get an affordable one :sport-smiley-018:

the on site measurement is a fun experience as u c uncle carpenter (Uncle C.) help to put design into practical use. it let u hav a better visual view on where your carpentry are when Uncle C. drew pencil markings on the wall. the discussion was a loooooooooong, good and thorough one. i lyk the way Uncle C. pointed out to us where and which part will b impractical and proposed on the spot solutions :good: he is really experienced!

now, i am having troubled with my living room.

12879223205_e0aae836ae_c.jpg

this is the proposed place of where all my carpentry will b … as HDB doesn't give a flat wall, my living room comes with a recessed area. :( Uncle C. was suggesting to hv the shoe cabinet neatly sitting inside the beam as shown above. i think this look perfect if i only hv all these …

12879222835_ea081287c0_c.jpg

but my TV area looked very cluttered if i'm gonna put a display cabinet in between :jawdrop: ….

12879640794_8ff598cbce_c.jpg

it looks better if i shift the cabinet towards the door but tt also means my shoe cabinet will be affected by the beam. at least 1/3 of the cabinet will be more shallow. i dono how it will look lyk in real, will it give the cluttered feeling as well? :dunno:

hub suggest to put the display cabinet into one of the common bedrooms. well tts a solution too, but my 1st choice was to b in living room to DISPLAY.

**sigh** so troubled …..

i would like to whine abit on this aircon uncle.

the aircon we engaged is a long term collaborator of my ID company. the aircon price is a very standard market rate, so we decided to use this aircon uncle since its easier for my ID to coord & also it comes with 2 trip installation.

everything was fine during the 1st trip installation. compressor up, trunking up as discussed etc etc

however, when we visit our hse for the carpentry discussion, we realized our aircon unit is alr up! :jawdrop: when we haven't even started painting. so i asked ID how come the aircon unit is up, he said "the uncle come dwn himself to install. i didn't arrange with him, i also dono y." ID then said if he is the one asking the uncle to take down, he probably will taiji away … so he asked me to call him. so hub called him, and yes he really taiji away. anyway it really makes no sense to hv the unit up now. my painting will b patchy can! :curse: no matter wad there will b a rectangle that you can't paint. so when i realized hub didn't solve the issue, i call the aircon uncle again. anyway, aircon uncle try to smoke me by saying is ID call him to install one, so i on the spot ask my ID again so uncle over the phone can hear. when aircon uncle knw he can't smoke me he say oh maybe they call wrong person. and anyway he hv lotsa excuse lyk painting will crack la blah blah … :furious:

to cut the story short. he agree to take it down for me, quite readily actually. lol he suggested it himself without me requesting it. hub n ID was surprised on the positive conclusion when i ended the call in less than 2 mins. :P i guess I'm still useful

the on site measurement is a fun experience as u c uncle carpenter (Uncle C.) help to put design into practical use. it let u hav a better visual view on where your carpentry are when Uncle C. drew pencil markings on the wall. the discussion was a loooooooooong, good and thorough one. i lyk the way Uncle C. pointed out to us where and which part will b impractical and proposed on the spot solutions :good: he is really experienced!

now, i am having troubled with my living room.

12879223205_e0aae836ae_c.jpg

this is the proposed place of where all my carpentry will b … as HDB doesn't give a flat wall, my living room comes with a recessed area. :( Uncle C. was suggesting to hv the shoe cabinet neatly sitting inside the beam as shown above. i think this look perfect if i only hv all these …

12879222835_ea081287c0_c.jpg

but my TV area looked very cluttered if i'm gonna put a display cabinet in between :jawdrop: ….

12879640794_8ff598cbce_c.jpg

it looks better if i shift the cabinet towards the door but tt also means my shoe cabinet will be affected by the beam. at least 1/3 of the cabinet will be more shallow. i dono how it will look lyk in real, will it give the cluttered feeling as well? :dunno:

hub suggest to put the display cabinet into one of the common bedrooms. well tts a solution too, but my 1st choice was to b in living room to DISPLAY.

**sigh** so troubled …..

Not sure if you okay to put beside the sofa instead of with the TV console side of the wall? :rolleyes:

where do you find all these lovely display glass cabinet?

OMG im so happy to randomly chance upon the display glass cabinet!! :sport-smiley-004::sport-smiley-004::sport-smiley-004:

12832837593_c7109d2e80_c.jpg

12832832533_17a50fe2f8_c.jpg

was lost when ikea's went out of stock but finding these definitely make my day :lol: ..

vhive. i went to the tamp branch. i think its having promo till 9 march.

where do you find all these lovely display glass cabinet?

the fabrication of the carpentry has finally started. not much work was done at the house itself, except 1st coat painting & chemical wash. the place is so much cleaner and less dusty after the chemical wash :good:

I AM SO TOTALLY IN LOVE WITH MY BLUE CEILING! :wub: :wub: :wub:

13029153174_dcfbbde333_c.jpg

the grey wall turn out prettier than expected as I was still quite worried it will be too dark. but the colour turn out just nice~

13028919833_1e28f7c4e0_c.jpg

the other side of the wall, the contrast of white-grey-blue

the white beam along the corridor seems out of place ... we should be asking the painter to take it grey as well :paint: other than that, i'm pretty satisfied with the colour chosen!! :D :D

13029148434_f3dae03f04_c.jpg

n i think our basin tap for the MBR toilet looks gorgeous!

with the major big items bought, i'm starting to look around for the smaller misc items. the first small appliance that i want to buy is the vacuum cleaner! cos that's the first thing i would require to clean the house! there are SOOOOOOOO MANY vacuum cleaner in the market that i dono which to buy :( i want a value for money kind...

i once bought a bosch vacuum cleaner for my MIL, but she seldom use and i dono if its good

i went to courts and this guy is promoting his energy saving rowenta vacuum cleaner RO5342. i thought it was quite good, and it comes with the detachable head for vacuuming beddings. and when i went to another courts outlet i saw the sales person promoting the same rowenta vacuum cleaner to a young couple, and mentioned that its courts exclusive. so i become cautious if the product is that good, or isit courts exclusive that they are promoting that much.

my hub has this fren who bought the newer version of rainbow, and thus selling his old but working fine one at $800. it is considered cheap as compared to the original $3k+ but $800 for a vacuum cleaner??? hmmmmm i dono. im not very convinced over the power of rainbow yet.

and also should i buy a bag or bagless?

arghhhh .... spoilt for choices :jawdrop: any suggestions?