Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
Dwinsplace

Hacking Out A Home-Shaped Hole @ Cassia

For the TaoBAo loots, please prepare crowbar (if you have) or hammer + Flat screw driver (Will suggest this). Get a pair of gloves too for those wood splinters.

The crates are really in a pain to open :angry2:

Have to agree that its really like Xmas when you are opening the boxes. :lol::D

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

What is the price u paid for the table?

I went there one Sunday and it was kind of scary as there were no one ard in the warehouse. Workers were packing outside... So I went in on my own and it was rather dark... As I ventured further in, I thought I saw someone in there but it turned out to be a very real life like protrait of a lady... Ummm not a very good feeling so I immediately walked out and left.. (>_<) haha

But I must say they have quite nice items over there, just that I don't really like teak colour

Also! I went to second charm today to place an order for a solid teak dining table done in the style of grafunkt's apollo table.

Met the owner Shariffah who was very efficient and helpful. Her company has apparently been giving old furniture a facelift for the past 15 years but only started making furniture in the last 4 years or so.

She says that they use planation teak of a high grade and so things like splitting or cracking won't be an issue. If it happens, I can go straight back to her. :good:

Honestly though, looking at the pieces around her showroom, the workmanship is good, but not at the level of the pieces you find in grafunkt or air. The finish is not as smooth and the grain not as balanced. That said, you are paying a third of the price. So you decide for yourself which you value more. I was quite happy with what they produced and her eye for finishes. So I can't wait to see the finished product.

We have also just received a call from our freight forwarder! Our TB loot will arrive earlier than expected on the 5th of Aug!! Whoo!!! 23 parcels in total but sadly they can't give us a rough timing. Only that they will call an hour before they arrive. Stay tuned for my post on the loot! Feels like christmas! :sport-smiley-004:

Edited by bianzi

im waiting for my dining table from second charm!! argh. there was a delay the first time round as they could not load it up the container. hopefully it arrives this weekend. i customised it with 'boat wood' and hair pin legs.

anyway, loving the mint cushion and PM-ed you abt the grill gate because i wanted to do that door too!! u pointed out sth i forgot lol!! no more unit number if i changed it.

For the TaoBAo loots, please prepare crowbar (if you have) or hammer + Flat screw driver (Will suggest this). Get a pair of gloves too for those wood splinters.

The crates are really in a pain to open :angry2:

Have to agree that its really like Xmas when you are opening the boxes. :lol::D

A crowbar! I get to buy a crowbar! Mrs, are you reading this? Whoo! Manliness factor up by 10.

• Like 2

What is the price u paid for the table?

I went there one Sunday and it was kind of scary as there were no one ard in the warehouse. Workers were packing outside... So I went in on my own and it was rather dark... As I ventured further in, I thought I saw someone in there but it turned out to be a very real life like protrait of a lady... Ummm not a very good feeling so I immediately walked out and left.. (>_<) haha

But I must say they have quite nice items over there, just that I don't really like teak colour

im waiting for my dining table from second charm!! argh. there was a delay the first time round as they could not load it up the container. hopefully it arrives this weekend. i customised it with 'boat wood' and hair pin legs.

anyway, loving the mint cushion and PM-ed you abt the grill gate because i wanted to do that door too!! u pointed out sth i forgot lol!! no more unit number if i changed it.

Yeah second charm has pretty nice stuff. It IS a bit dark and cluttered though haha.

I was charged $1500 for the table 2m x 0.8m without delivery. Additional $40 for delivery which i think is fair. Just hope that the table can fit inside the lift.

As for teak colour, they are able to stain it whatever colour you like. But the grain remains the same of course. And as mentioned, the finish that I saw on the completed pieces were a little on the rough side.

Minty: Boat wood is becoming very popular. :) Multicoloured and should fit right in with your home's look. I wanted hairpin legs as well actually! Even wanted to import the pins from overseas and just DIY the table as you might have read from prev posts. Sadly my dining room is a little tight so I'm increasing the ease of entry and exit by having the table legs away from the corners.

A crowbar! I get to buy a crowbar! Mrs, are you reading this? Whoo! Manliness factor up by 10.

Hahaha, so if i buy it, feminineness factor down by 10? :bleah:

Haha yeah we're full of rubbish. It's how we stay together. :thumbs up:

Jiawen: Women with power tools? Sexiness up by 10! Just do a google search, you'll see what I mean.

As mentioned, I changed my gate. So the installation is a breeze.

When I change the gate, I have the very intention to have a digital lock.

Hence design wise, it was catered to install digital lock.

Main issue with HDB gate or conventional gate, is that there is no flat surface for the digital lock to sit on.

I do not have the picture of the digital lock on my gate but from below picture, you can understand that digital lock can sit accordingly anywhere on the gate.

IMG-20140703-WA0026.jpg

Hey, OceanEleven,

Exactly what I am hoping to do! Have contacted An Digital for a quote.

May I know, with this gate, is there a need to use a metal bracket to box up the inner part of the lock and use remote control to open it when you are indoor?

Haha yeah we're full of rubbish. It's how we stay together. :thumbs up:

Jiawen: Women with power tools? Sexiness up by 10! Just do a google search, you'll see what I mean.

:lol:

my dining table arrived last weekend! thankfully Second Charm's delivery guys didnt fail me. *heng*

it was abit colorful lol, not 100% what we had expected of the other boat wood we saw from Journey East (since it was customised there's a bit of risk), but it turned out well. like added abit of cosiness and warmth to the area. the hairpin legs are not hairpin at all. haha meaning they are much stronger than i had thought. needed some strength to lift the legs to move the table to my ideal position.

overall we were very pleased with the table and the quality. for $1200 (mine is only 1.5m), i thought it was a fair deal since we could customise the top, legs and size.

hope yours turn out well too!

Now that we know their quality, we want to customise another multi dresser with them. =)

hey, did u check the insulation they used for the room coil? is it the H class as well? Mine they used F class...sobss...

After a bit of discussion with the Mrs, we felt that we weren't happy with how the issue with spray painting the wall sockets was handled. If there was a miscomm between the contractor and his workers, they should have removed the surface mounted boxes and spray painted them separately as they would have done normally. Not taken a short cut by just spray painting it on the wall (and the wall around it as well). 8| Thankfully, our ID didn't kick up a fuss about it. They admitted that it was a mistake and that the electricians will remove the boxes and redo it properly.

As for the paint already on the wall, she assures me that the wall paint will cover it and I will see no trace of a dark patch.

Today, the aircon guys came. We got Tim from renotalk posting (I believe the company is called Imperial) and the service has been great so far. They arrived at the house on time and quickly detailed to me what needed to be done. Due to some tiling and electrical works being done, there were minor tweaks to the original routing plan but overall no major surprises.

I wanted to check and make sure that the insulation and copper piping were the upgraded ones agreed upon and so I was frantically searching the next to try to decode what I saw on the packaging. Here's what I found out for those of you who will be using similar materials.

G23 Copper pipes. Note that .61mm is the marking for g23.

ED4C520F-DE4C-4B6A-98CD-6FC6AED6CFA1_zps

Water pipe: 16mm. Honestly not sure why bigger is better... but its supposed to be. Standard HDB is 13mm.

d23ca896-ddde-4283-a16c-3ee716825e62_zps

Insulation: This was the one i was most concerned about. I know that good thick insulation means that the coolant in the copper pipes gain less heat as it travels from the compressor to the fan coil. It also helps to absorb any condensation that might occur on the pipes and prevents dripping. This was also the most stressful cos I knew I was supposed to be get 1/2 inch thick insulation. But as you can see in the first pic, the only numbers stated were 3/8inch. Which is the standard, lower quality type.

After research online as well as clarification by Tim, I learnt that Armaflex codes its insulation a bit differently. The letter H in H-010 denotes the thickness of the insulation. Whereas the numbers 3/8" and in the second pic 5/8", denotes the diameter of the internal hole in the insulation. And if you go on the armaflex site, you will find that H is 1/2 inch thick. :sport-smiley-003:

They needed two different internal diameters because 1 is for the water pipe and 1 is for the thinner copper pipe.

A7EA24BA-C6AB-4459-B264-69E2149CDCB7_zps

cfc9f774-a28e-49a8-8d4a-9432eb77406a_zps

my dining table arrived last weekend! thankfully Second Charm's delivery guys didnt fail me. *heng*

it was abit colorful lol, not 100% what we had expected of the other boat wood we saw from Journey East (since it was customised there's a bit of risk), but it turned out well. like added abit of cosiness and warmth to the area. the hairpin legs are not hairpin at all. haha meaning they are much stronger than i had thought. needed some strength to lift the legs to move the table to my ideal position.

overall we were very pleased with the table and the quality. for $1200 (mine is only 1.5m), i thought it was a fair deal since we could customise the top, legs and size.

hope yours turn out well too!

Now that we know their quality, we want to customise another multi dresser with them. =)

So quality was good? Workmanship ok? Was it not as.... how to say... refined? as the tables in journey east? It feels like the wrong word since the items there are designed to look a little rough and worn around the edges.

The price is good! Journey would be about $3K

hey, did u check the insulation they used for the room coil? is it the H class as well? Mine they used F class...sobss...

You got me worried now. You mean they used 2 different types of insulation for you?

I'll be heading down soon to the site and I'll take a look and confirm with you.

Did you use Tim as well? Cos I specified with him very clearly that I wanted a certain grade of insulation and copper piping.