Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
nickguthe

Brick Wall By The Floor 5Rm Bto @sengkang

You will not be wrong going with Taobao in terms of pricing. Quality is there especially for small items, with no much moving part.

And you are right with so many things nowadays are made in China, so why pay the premium price in Singapore. :good:

Haha yes! Paying for rental in Singapore!

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation

A little progress over this week

We can now have warm shower! Installed the Bennington C600 Multipoint instant heater.

09_Service_HeaterBenningtonInstalled2.jp

Was deciding between Joven 25L Storage heater and Bennington C600 Multipoint instant heater.

These were our considerations

1. One thing is for sure, we didn't want to have those instant heater installed at the shower area in both bathrooms
  2. We want a single heater that can provide hot water to both showers and taps since all the concealed piping provided by HDB already allow that
  3. hopefully we can conceal the heater away from sight with false ceiling or plasterboard.

Both Bennington C600 and storage heater satisfies the criteria above. And since

1. We aren't having rainshower or bathtub, we don't need a large amount of stored hot water
  2. C600 is smaller to hide
  3. It can possibly help us save some electricity because it only heats up the amount of water that you use.

At first my consideration if C600 or storage heater can help improve water pressure but after talking to the C600 people and search online about both. Realised that water pressure is dependent more on the original water pressure and won't affect much by the heater. So we decided to go with the C600.

Now the problem... the designated location provided by HDB to install our heater is in the common bathroom at an awkward position to box up.

This photo is taken before heater installation. The water inlets and outlets are at the U shape pipe near the entrance at a pretty low height.

09_Service_HeaterBefore1.jpg

This is the photo taken after installation.... How are we going to hide the pipes and this heater...Thanks HDB!

We consulted our potential contractor, he said the box out can be done, but it will be low so we need to consider. The other way is to only box the heater and let the pipe show. :unsure:

09_Service_HeaterBenningtonInstalled1.jp

Concealing it aside, we bought the heater directly from Bennington and also add-on installation by them. (They also have cash and carry option or you can buy from retailers and have it installed by your contractors.) They have a demo set at their office that we went to check out. Installation took about an hour. Uncle who installed it was nice and knowledgeable. Cost of the heater is about $300 and it comes with a complimentary shower head. Installation is another $100.

The heater is nicely linked to the water heater switch provided outside the common bathroom.

The water heater switch outside the master is redundant and maybe we can swop it out to become some light switches if we need?

Yay to hot shower!

Edited by nickguthe

Last weekend we engaged BTO Home Networking to convert the telephone lines in our 3 bed rooms to LAN points. Fast, cheap and good! 3 points for $100

We didn't need that many phone points in the house and fast, reliable internet is very important to us. So it really makes sense to to convert them to LAN points.

DB Box before conversion

08_Service_BTOHomeNetworking_Before.jpg

After conversion, properly labelled.

08_Service_BTOHomeNetworking_After.jpg

Kok Hua, the owner of BTO home networking, was a little late but it was because he was doing conversion for serveral other units as well prior to our scheduled evening appointment. He explained many technical concepts to us which we are grateful about. We just need to apply for fibre internet and put the modem in this db box.

The whole process took about an hour. So now the points labelled MBR, BR2 and BR3 are LAN points that Kok Hua converted. The bottom right LAN port is the original point provided by HDB linked to the LAN port in the living room near the TV console area. Since we are building a study in the living room and we will might need additional LAN point for the constructed study. We are thinking of getting our contractor to add the LAN port in the study. Kok Hua advised that within the DB box, we can just use a Gigabit switch to share one of the LAN points into 2 points.

Or maybe WIFI is good then all these worry is unnecessary.

Overall good, but we haven't applied for internet yet so we couldn't test it. Anyway, there is a one year warranty provided so we will look for him if there are any issues.

Edited by nickguthe

• Like 2

Last weekend we engaged BTO Home Networking to convert the telephone lines in our 3 bed rooms to LAN points. Fast, cheap and good! 3 points for $100

We didn't need that many phone points in the house and fast, reliable internet is very important to us. So it really makes sense to to convert them to LAN points.

DB Box before conversion

10177966_10152429752740802_8478337895390

After conversion, properly labelled.

btoHomeNetworking_zps12857293.jpg

Where is the power point to power the fibre modem? And the switch if you are putting it here as well.

For your additional point in the study, you should share out not the LAN point in this box, but the LAN point in the living room, since the study is being built in the living room. From the LAN point in the living room, add the switch if necessary.

Where is the power point to power the fibre modem? And the switch if you are putting it here as well.

For your additional point in the study, you should share out not the LAN point in this box, but the LAN point in the living room, since the study is being built in the living room. From the LAN point in the living room, add the switch if necessary.

Yep there is a power point to power the fiber and switch.

03_SiteBefore_DBBoxClose.jpg

The LAN point of the study won't be near to the living room LAN point. That's why we are considering to add the switch in the box here to link to a installed LAN point in the study routed from here. Could you share why we shouldn't share out the LAN point in this box? Is there some technical consideration? Thanks.

Edited by nickguthe

No, there is nothing wrong with putting the switch at the DB box. I suggested putting the switch at the living room LAN point because I thought the new LAN point in the study is near this point, and it is probably easier to lay your LAN cable to here, rather than to the DB box. Of course if the new LAN point in the study is near the DB box, then laying the cable to the DB box makes sense.

I am just wondering if this DB box is sufficient to put three devices: ONT (fibre modem), residential gateway (the wireless router supplied by your ISP) and your switch. They take up quite a bit of space. For their sizes, you can check out mine: http://www.renotalk.com/forum/topic/62505-top-kew-drive/?p=835980

There are certain advantages in putting the switch at the living room instead of this DB box. You can add more devices to the switch. For example, the switch at my living room supports the TV, sound bar, Apple TV and wireless router. If the switch is at the DB box, I guess you cannot use it much.

Edited by kstoh

• Like 1

No, there is nothing wrong with putting the switch at the DB box. I suggested putting the switch at the living room LAN point because I thought the new LAN point in the study is near this point, and it is probably easier to lay your LAN cable to here, rather than to the DB box. Of course if the new LAN point in the study is near the DB box, then laying the cable to the DB box makes sense.

I am just wondering if this DB box is sufficient to put three devices: ONT (fibre modem), residential gateway (the wireless router supplied by your ISP) and your switch. They take up quite a bit of space. For their sizes, you can check out mine: http://www.renotalk.com/forum/topic/62505-top-kew-drive/?p=835980

There are certain advantages in putting the switch at the living room instead of this DB box. You can add more devices to the switch. For example, the switch at my living room supports the TV, sound bar, Apple TV and wireless router. If the switch is at the DB box, I guess you cannot use it much.

I see. Your guess is correct, the LAN point in the study is nearer to the DB box than living room LAN point.

Very valid and great tips there regarding the switch at the living room! We will definitely think it through. Thank you so much

Hi, nickguthe may i know where you purchase the king size frame bed with bottom storage (hydraulic type) and how much you pay for it thank :)

Edited by tarzanboy

hi! i saw your pictures and recognise that you are also from "CA" hehe. good to see your blog! i am doing similar theme, scandi mixed with industrial... probably turns out to be more industrial hehe. Gd luck!

hi! i saw your pictures and recognise that you are also from "CA" hehe. good to see your blog! i am doing similar theme, scandi mixed with industrial... probably turns out to be more industrial hehe. Gd luck!

Hi neighbour! Thanks. Good luck to your reno too! :)

Sorry but whats the point of converting phone lines to LAN points? Does the wiring need to be changed also or are they also similar to CAT6?

Does this mean that if I can convert my phone points, i don't need to run CAT6 cables all over the place?

For all new BTO, telephone lines are Cat5e minimum (*But mostly should be Cat6).

Since nowadays people don't use landlines, you might as well convert them to Lan ports, this will enable you need not to lay the wires.

Hope this helps. (If my info is wrong, someone pls correct as I am not totally sure on this)