Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
GeorgeChen

Where Should I Stay During A Whole-House-Renovation?

Just to share: i have been staying in this HDB flat for like 30years and i have not renovated it since. in fact, i have absolutely no knowledge on renovation.

i want to ask, if i want to renovate the entire house, walls, tilings, everything,

Question:

1) should i go and rent another house outside, and move everything over (furnitures, tv, cupboard, everything)... There are quite many things in my house... After the renovation is complete, then i move everything back? Or should i just leave the things in the house (which would be difficult to renovate?

2) during the renovation, should i stay outside in another place? or maybe i should go for a holiday? because during renovation, everything will be dusty, and the new coat of paint on my walls will produce poisonous smell, so i should stay away? should i just go for a holiday for 1month and throw everything to the contractor?

THanks in advance for your advice.

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation

It's better to move out all your things as there will be many people in and out of the house during renovation and there is no guarantee that things inside the house will not be lost, stolen or damaged. Most people will move furniture either to parents house or to a rented self-storage space.

Rental of self-storage space available in Singapore:

www.storhub.com.sg

www.extraspace.com.sg

www.ebcstorage.com.sg

www.singaporestoragespace.com

www.lockandstore.com.sg

and many others.

Google and you will find them around Singapore. Lease can be as short as one month. I choose based on the location that is more convenience to me. Most offers 24hr accessibility, just use your pre-programmed finger print to access to your rented space. You need to buy own lock.

If you are renting another space to stay, then it make sense to move your furniture there to save on rented storage cost, provided your landlord agree to it. The problem is more of where to find a landlord who is willing to rent you a room for just 2 months. Most will ask for 1 or 2 years contract. My suggestion is to stay at relatives or friends' place near your house so it's easier to monitor the renovation work.

Going on a month holidays and leaving everything to your contractor? You can do this if you are prepared to return with a heart attack! And you wouldn't want to receive a phone bill that can bomb your heart. Be it a big or small renovation, must monitor, monitor AND monitor. Not to mention that you are doing the whole house.

Edited by gemini

JTS : my parents did a whole hse reno a couple of years back. We are lucky as we manage to find a short term rental ( ard 2.5 mths ) through renotalk..

your best bet is to look for new owners that just got their flat and not in a hurry to move in.. see if they are willing to rent out their hse to for a couple of mths..

gd luck!

We renovated our place after 20 yrs. Did a major decluttering of our stuff before moving to temporary rental place for a month. Everything was moved to a storage facility which gives us 24hr access. I was glad we chose to move out instead of overhauling our place in phases while still living in. The amount of debri & dust generated from hacking and drilling is just not suitable for living. Going on vacation during renovation is not advisable as it's better to be around to monitor progress as well as make last minute changes. Also, my contractor wasn't very helpful about checking the appliances during delivery so I had to be there to receive delivery. There was a few instances where his workers made mistakes and we had to rearrange work flow. Changes to the renovation timeline happened almost every few days. Conclusion: MONITOR, MORNITOR, MONITOR. Don't take contractor's word that he will settle everything for you.

Hi All, we have decided and booked ID to renovate of our house. We did not realized we have to move out with two kids or I should say we ignored this issue. Now looking for renting any house for short term but it seems next to impossible to find. Any idea or any one has experience the same situation?

On ‎12‎/‎6‎/‎2017 at 4:49 PM, keenniki said:

Hi All, we have decided and booked ID to renovate of our house. We did not realized we have to move out with two kids or I should say we ignored this issue. Now looking for renting any house for short term but it seems next to impossible to find. Any idea or any one has experience the same situation?

It is actually not very impossible to find. What ppl normally do is to go over to their parents house to stay. or you can go to 99.co to find house to rent