Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
GreenBoi

Full Renovation - Resale Condo

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

Hi GreenBoi/Gir,

Thanks for the PM and all these information. It really helps :). I'm still in the process of ID selection.

So you did not do any wall hacking? just do wall plastering (kitchen) and overlay (bathroom)?

What about the doors? Did you replace it or revarnish them?

As for the citygas, yes the condo doesn't have it and we have no choice to live with the cylinder gas (so bulky and troublesome :( )

Can you PM me the aircon contact? I will go for Daikin as well, but system 3. Been using Daikin for the last 10-15 years with minimum issue. What do you mean by system 3 + 2?

Thanks again...

Hi GreenBoi/Gir,

Thanks for the PM and all these information. It really helps :). I'm still in the process of ID selection.

So you did not do any wall hacking? just do wall plastering (kitchen) and overlay (bathroom)?

What about the doors? Did you replace it or revarnish them?

As for the citygas, yes the condo doesn't have it and we have no choice to live with the cylinder gas (so bulky and troublesome :( )

Can you PM me the aircon contact? I will go for Daikin as well, but system 3. Been using Daikin for the last 10-15 years with minimum issue. What do you mean by system 3 + 2?

Thanks again...

Hi Shoe,

Yup no wall hacking was done (this will require a Professional Engineer). We decided not to overlay tiles and hacked everything. The main door cant be changed. We are only keeping the closet door and replacing the rest.

I will pm Tim's contact to you. System 3+2 is one system 3 and one system 2. It comes with 2 compressors and 5 blowers.

LIGHTING

1. Lightings.com

http://www.lightings.com.sg/

We went to their shops at Jalan Besar and Geylang. Preferred the Geylang branch as we found the sales person, Mr Wong very helpful and good natured. We ended up buying 11w Phillips downlights from them.

Its important to note, Phillips downlight comes with built-in drivers. Hence, if it spoils you will have to change the whole light. However, there is no denying that phillips is a good brand and their lights last long.

We also bought LED ceiling lights for the rooms and the kitchen from them.

2.Glamour House Lighting

http://www.ghlighting.com.sg/

They are located at Geylang. We bought the rest of our downlights from them (phillips dont have stock of the smaller downlights). We bought safety-certified 9w downlights for SGD28 each. It comes with free delivery as well. The owner is super friendly and patient.

3. Ikea

Ikea has a wide range of lighting options at good price. We bought a simple pendant light for SGD 20 only. Wife really liked the simple design.

BATHROOM ACCESSORIES

1. Bathroom Warehouse by Wan Tai

http://bathroomwarehouse.com.sg/

I highly recommend this place. We went to many well known shops, but none compare to this one. The price is also excellent.

They also carry a wide range of brands.

We bought Grohe rain-shower, mixers. 1 Hansgrohe tall tap. 1 Nobili tall tap, Franke kitchen sink and various other items.

They are the only shop that I know that carries a wide range of Nobili, Elkay and Franke products. These are well-known brands that are hard to find in Singapore.

They have a wide range of Elkay and Franke kitchen sink (for those who are looking for Blanco alternatives).

2. Adamas Bathroom Pte Ltd

http://www.adamasbathroom.com/

We went to their Jalan Besar branch. They gave us the best deal for Fujioh hood/hob and Joven 25L storage heater. We also bought our TOTO WC from them. Recommended!

3. Universal Union Enterprise Pte Ltd

http://www.universalunion.com.sg/

If you are the type that dont like doing a lot of walking around and want to purchase everything from one place. This is the place to go!

They have almost everything you need- bathroom/kitchen accessories, wide range fan selections (including haiku fans), water filtration system, laundry system

The price is competitive. We purchased our industrial design kitchen mixer there.

4. Heritage Bathroom Gallery (Geylang) and Hoe Kee

You can also consider these two places. Hoe Kee especially is very well known. They have wide selection of stuffs as well. If you are interested in Blanco kitchen sink, this is the place to go. I would recommend their Kaki Bukit branch.

CEILING FANS and VENTILATOR

1. Tai Yong Electric Co at Jalan Besar

Hands down the best place to buy fans. Their fans are the cheapest (we combed the entire Jalan Besar). However they dont carry Haiku range of fans.

We also bought a KDK ceiling ventilator for our bathroom from them. Highly recommended place.

FURNITURE

1. Lorenzo

They have great range of leather sofas.

2. Scanteak

If you are interested in darker teak woods, this is the place to go.

3. Star Living

This is where we purchased most of our furnitures. We like their Scandinavian design and the price is very good :)

4. King Koil @ Marina Square

A wide range of good quality King Koil beds. We will be purchasing our bed and mattress from here. Although a wooden bed would be more scandi in nature, we decided to buy a light colored bed from here for practicality reasons.

5. Picket & Rail

Awesome place if you are going for Industrial look. Their beds selection especially is awesome. Unfortunately it doesnt fit our scandi theme.

6. OM Living

Good selection of furniture.

7. V-Hive

One of the best shops to buy quality office tables and chairs.

Their 'Komforte Recliner' range has a lot of nice recliner chairs at good price.

8. Hommage

High quality Japanese furnitures. really nice stuff but a bit pricey. But it feels like the price is worth it.

FURNITURE SHOPPING TIPS:

A good place to do furniture shopping would be at IMM and Furniture Mall (both located next to each other). Most of the furniture shops are located here, hence its easier to get an idea even if you are just sourcing for furnitures/window-shopping. It can be quite a bit of travelling for those living in the east, but its all worth it in my opinion.

Edited by GreenBoi

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

PURCHASES

gallery_69098_769_3954.jpg

The beautiful Franke sink from Bathroom Warehouse. We are quite happy with this beauty. Franke together with Blanco and Elkay are all good brands. We managed to get this Franke sink for a good deal.

gallery_69098_769_79881.jpg

We bought 2 of these basins for our bathrooms. Also from Bathroom Warehouse.

gallery_69098_769_27149.jpg

We bought 2 of these Grohe mixers from Bathroom Warehouse.

gallery_69098_9_33746.jpg

We bought the left-most rainshower. 'Tempesta' is the cheapest of the Grohe rainshowers :good:

Edited by GreenBoi

PURCHASES

gallery_69098_769_2410.jpg

We bought 2 of these Toto SW631JP from Adamas. I didnt do much research on WC and decided to go for the brand i'm most comfortable with.

gallery_69098_769_76856.jpg

gallery_69098_769_78846.jpg

Our items arrived about 3 weeks ago as per our ID's request. Nic said he will need to take measurements for carpentry. I was a little hesitant with storing the items there as tiling havent started properly yet and things will be moved around.

gallery_69098_769_7810.jpg

True enough. Everything was moved and rearranged. You can imagine how anxious I was when I saw these. But Nic reassured that the items are fine. Lets hope it remains fine.

PURCHASES

The following are what we bought from Star Living:

gallery_69098_769_85733.jpg

168cm dining table

gallery_69098_8_4678.jpg

Wife really liked this dining chairs

gallery_69098_769_55522.jpg

Coffee-table that matches the dining table

gallery_69098_769_95682.jpg

We really liked this sofa with simple and comfy design :sport-smiley-018:

Edited by GreenBoi

Thank you for sharing your research! So if your condo had Citygas, you would have chosen to go for a gas heater? Why would you have chosen that over a storage heater when you have to wait 10-20sec for the hot water each time?

Hi, greenboi may i know your id nick company charge GST and can you share with me Tim air-con contact thank :)

Dear Tarzan,

Nick does not charge GST. I have pm you Tim's contact :)

Thank you for sharing your research! So if your condo had Citygas, you would have chosen to go for a gas heater? Why would you have chosen that over a storage heater when you have to wait 10-20sec for the hot water each time?

Hi Contra,

I would certainly have chosen Citygas if my condo has access to it. In my case, I have a tendency to forget to switch off storage heater. Also with Citygas, you can shower to your hearts content without worrying about running out of hot water. Unfortunately Citygas is not an option for me. I have PM you the details you requested. Cheers :)

OPEN-NET INSTALLATION

I have always been using Starhub cable for internet. This time I decided to future proof my home. Found out that my condo is Open-net ready. Hence I went ahead and subscribed to Singtel Unlimited 1GBPs plan.

Singtel called me a week later saying that there is some back-end problem and there may be delay up to 2 months. I have been calling Open-net (netlink trust) regularly since then to no avail.

My concern is that I may not be able to hide my cables in the false ceiling as the open-net installers dont do conceal work. I did a bit of research and found out that if the electrician can lay a casing with a string to pull the optical fiber, the open-net installers can use the string to pull the fibre cable through. Thankfully Nic's electrician knows how to do this :sport-smiley-018:

Edited by GreenBoi