Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
nextstep

A Man Need A Cave - My Bachelor Pad Reno Journey

BOSE has very affordable consumers pricing compared to 10 years ago when I bought my first set and it lasted forever. It went with the apartment when I sold it to the new owner. I went for a sound test a few weeks ago and still considering if I should spend the $$$ but very tempting because I love my music. I have thousands of CDs which I don't even know where to store them now.. :help:

Love Libratone design, but didn't try the sound before only see it at Apple online store last time,

I wanted to get a speaker for my room, been trying lots of speaker (B&W, Bose, B&O, SONOS, Naim Muso) but my heart tell me I should go for Linn Kiko, but the price is no way I can afford. hahaha

Edited by Luxexplorer

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation

I love that Hai armchair as well, sit liao don't want to get up, how I wish I have a bell and ring for a butler :notti::notti: (like my house very big like that)

It is a very good idea to use Mac Mini to work as an entertainment hub, maybe I can think of you later stage or few years after I move in (because I will be super broke)

but I will hook up Apple TV for my movie and Netflix.

Love Libratone design, but didn't try the sound before only see it at Apple online store last time,

I wanted to get a speaker for my room, been trying lots of speaker (B&W, Bose, B&O, SONOS, Naim Muso) but my heart tell me I should go for Linn Kiko, but the price is no way I can afford. hahaha

The chair looks really comfy to laze around! I am looking for one too and fell for something that is beyond my reach haha

http://m.ambientedirect.com/en/diesel/cloudscape-chair_pid_663_4801.html

I had a similar entertainment hub set up at my old place with a Bose sound system, Mac mini and a HD TV for watching movies and listening to music from iTunes for couple of years. At the current place I replaced the Bose with a wireless speaker (no more spagetties behind the TV console!!) got rid of starthub cable TV box and TV cable and bought a new Mac mini for watching movies/tv shows via torrenting. Yes I know, I am still a bit old school, I still prefer to download the video and watch offline even though I have a fast fiber broadband plan from viewquest with direct network connection for the Mac mini :) For music I ditched iTunes for Spotify, and has another wireless speaker (big jambox) in my bedroom.

MY Danish friend told me Libratone is a small company set up by a group of sound engineers from B&O when I asked him about the Libratone Loop. I love that it looks more like a piece of home furnishing item with changable Italian Lamb wool cover.

Edited by sarah833

Day 64 - Quick photo update

As mention, the house now progress are getting very slow but I manage to snap a few photo of the progress.

Kitchen's Louvered windows installation done!

4FB1B023-121A-44B5-918A-E26F71E83CA7_zps

Bifold door installation done, but the glass work still not done :P to get into my dry vanity (Close)

91C3AD07-0F9D-4327-946B-09E644293963_zps

When the door open

360C73C9-F91E-474F-A4BD-2CDD3E46910D_zps

Dry vanity (the counter top is by Kompac Plus)

E1CA6477-902B-4635-9364-AD035DD2E7F0_zps

Kitchen

wow!! your bi fold door is awesome! care to share how much u paid? looks very very nice! the kitchen backsplash is awesome too!! u have no top cabinets?

i think overall your place is super nice! all blend in nicely!

Edited by twinklecloud

Lazyfatcat, thanks for the compliment and acknowledge. hehe.

For the open net point, it really need to see what you trying to achieve, if you don't mind that location because it will be where your modem, router located.

So there are few things you have to consider,

1. Are you going to use Singtel MIO TV? If yes and if I not wrong the set up box need to be connect to the network via cable (so it will be good for you to relocated the ONT near your new TV console area)

2. Is there a power point near by the current location? Because Modem, Router all need to power up.

3. Do you have or plan a furniture to place the router and modem?

I think this is what you need to consider, I place the ONT in the store room just that I find it will be more less messy and I will have network point in area I think I need to have internet.

But again to relocate the ONT will cost you few min few hundred (less than 300 I think), but if you feel that is look nicer to place your router at your TV console that you should move it, and again with all the streaming service these day and internet TV, by doing direct connection the internet speed is always faster than WIFI connection.

This is my 2 cents lah, if anyone here are better in network please jump in and give Lazyfatcat advice ya. Thanks thanks !!

There is no simple answer to the question posed by lazyfatcat007. It really depends on the services she needs.

Ideally, there should be network cables from the fibre termination point (TP) to every room, including the TV area. That will solve everything. Click here for a slightly long explanation. You can also relocate the TP to the TV point, but that might affect other services, depending on what you have.

If the question is limited to just the use of the TV, then it depends on what kind of TV you are going to have.

If you are just watching free-to-air TV channels (Channel 5, 8 etc), then no need to change any point. All you need is a digital TV receiver or a digital ready TV. According to original plan, the present signals carried via the SCV points or HDB TV points are supposed to be cut after this month. But I am sure this deadline will be extended (maybe it has already been extended) since I think probably 90% of Singaporeans are not aware of it! For an explanation on what is happening, you can read here. Free-to-air TV channels are broadcast in the UHF channels over the air.

If you watch StarHub TV, then you are fine so long as there is a SCV point near your TV. Free-to-air TV channels will also be available from StarHub TV. StarHub TV is carried via SCV cables to the SCV point. StarHub TV is also available via the fibre network. If you choose this option, then follow the requirement for SingTel Mio TV.

If you watch SingTel Mio TV, then your Mio TV box (which is next to your TV) needs to be cabled to your fibre router (next to your TP). This means either you need to have a network cable running from the TP to the TV point, or you need to relocate your TP to the TV area. Mio TV is carried via the fibre network.

If your TV is a smart TV and you want the TV to be smart, then the TV needs to be connected to your network. You can use wireless but ideally, there should be a network cable plugged to the back of your TV. Same requirement if you have an Apple TV or Google Chromecast or equivalent, although many of them can work using WiFI too.

Edited by Ks Toh

Your house is super nice NextStep!!!:)

I love love everything so far.

Cannot wait for your furniture to go in!

Bro your place rly very nice. I need to say it twice.

I think worth every penny you spend on it.

The view with the door, wardrobes and the vanity really is Pinterest-worthy!

Thanks Kara, with someone who have such a nice house your words means lots.

Now just need a bit of push all things will be done, but I need to be more hardworking to find the furniture I like,

My bed frame and night stand still no point near confirm, on top of that now also thinking should I built a full wall lenght shoe cabinet + storage cabinet under the window, or I should just buy just to have a place to store my shoes right behind the door.

BOSE has very affordable consumers pricing compared to 10 years ago when I bought my first set and it lasted forever. It went with the apartment when I sold it to the new owner. I went for a sound test a few weeks ago and still considering if I should spend the $$$ but very tempting because I love my music. I have thousands of CDs which I don't even know where to store them now.. :help:

True that BOSE is so much affordable now, which system you got previously?

But after I try the Linn Kiko system, nothings seems right, so I am thinking maybe at the meantime just get something is more easy for my pocket at this point of time.

Luxe if you got time go try it out the Linn (they got display it at TANGS, but with a big space you can't really feel the music when you ask for a demo), but I think you will love it as well. But again, speakers is really subjective for individual.

The chair looks really comfy to laze around! I am looking for one too and fell for something that is beyond my reach haha

http://m.ambientedirect.com/en/diesel/cloudscape-chair_pid_663_4801.html

I had a similar entertainment hub set up at my old place with a Bose sound system, Mac mini and a HD TV for watching movies and listening to music from iTunes for couple of years. At the current place I replaced the Bose with a wireless speaker (no more spagetties behind the TV console!!) got rid of starthub cable TV box and TV cable and bought a new Mac mini for watching movies/tv shows via torrenting. Yes I know, I am still a bit old school, I still prefer to download the video and watch offline even though I have a fast fiber broadband plan from viewquest with direct network connection for the Mac mini :) For music I ditched iTunes for Spotify, and has another wireless speaker (big jambox) in my bedroom.

MY Danish friend told me Libratone is a small company set up by a group of sound engineers from B&O when I asked him about the Libratone Loop. I love that it looks more like a piece of home furnishing item with changable Italian Lamb wool cover.

I always watch my tv show and movie via Hulu, Netflix, iTunes. Totally not a torrent person, so Apple TV is a good choice for me, but if you dl the Mac Mini is a good choice to convert it as your entertainment hub.

Yes Libratone look more like a piece furniture than a speaker, just like the B&O Play A9, I find it super cool.

wow!! your bi fold door is awesome! care to share how much u paid? looks very very nice! the kitchen backsplash is awesome too!! u have no top cabinets?

i think overall your place is super nice! all blend in nicely!

Thanks twinkelcloud for the kind words,

I forgot the price of the bifold door liao, because my ID custom made it for my vanity area.

Ya no top cabinets for the kitchen side that facing the dinning room, only the other side will have a full hight cabinet

Thanks twinkelcloud for the kind words,

I forgot the price of the bifold door liao, because my ID custom made it for my vanity area.

Ya no top cabinets for the kitchen side that facing the dinning room, only the other side will have a full hight cabinet

no top cabinets could have save u alot! it's very nice!

I subscribed to Netflix for a month or two and switched back to torrenting coz I am not a big fan of American TV series and reality shows, and I can still download those that I like from the site that has more European movies besides the usual Hollywood movies and American TV shows :)

Streaming from YouTube is smooth on most days

Thanks Kara, with someone who have such a nice house your words means lots.

Now just need a bit of push all things will be done, but I need to be more hardworking to find the furniture I like,

My bed frame and night stand still no point near confirm, on top of that now also thinking should I built a full wall lenght shoe cabinet + storage cabinet under the window, or I should just buy just to have a place to store my shoes right behind the door.

My house don't have Pinterest-worthy places haha!

Hmm do you have a lot of shoes?

And I'm a Netflix and Hulu person too, need to get that set up... Hoping someone will give me Apple TV for housewarming gift :rofl:

Edited by bykaraanne

no top cabinets could have save u alot! it's very nice!

Actually also don't know how much I save, my ID propose it so it will look better looking in from the dining room,

and I have to agree I like the result.

I subscribed to Netflix for a month or two and switched back to torrenting coz I am not a big fan of American TV series and reality shows, and I can still download those that I like from the site that has more European movies besides the usual Hollywood movies and American TV shows :)

Streaming from YouTube is smooth on most days

Oic, I am more a Movie person, Netflix series sometime is a bit slow compare to Hulu, but I think your solution work well.

My house don't have Pinterest-worthy places haha!

Hmm do you have a lot of shoes?

And I'm a Netflix and Hulu person too, need to get that set up... Hoping someone will give me Apple TV for housewarming gift :rofl:

Aiyo mine also so so only lah, later move in liao very messy :P

Just hopefully everything turn out nicely than happy liao.

I don't have lots of shoes, less than 10 I think.

I am those who have 1 pair of shoe and if it is comfy for my fat feet, I will keep wearing the same pairs.

Just because I decided to rent out the other room for my current housemate (since he and myself can click) to cover my reno cost, :notti::notti:

I have to factor in his shoe also, definitely need a shoe rack, no need to be big that is for sure, but wish I can place it outside the house, but sure shoe will gone missing.

Maybe ikea is the answer, what do you think about this one? If they got different colour.

0FD4F687-F3F9-4881-B3EE-74E26C18C2E2_zps

Edited by nextstep

Not bad but abit deep right?

Maybe can try their wardrobe range (PAX) can design the inside for umbrella also

Then the outside can choose whatever you want plus dress up with nice handles?

Any height requirement?

If shorter ones their BESTA range (TV consoles) also have less deep options!

I always watch my tv show and movie via Hulu, Netflix, iTunes. Totally not a torrent person, so Apple TV is a good choice for me, but if you dl the Mac Mini is a good choice to convert it as your entertainment hub.

How do you watch Hulu or Netflix using Apple TV? On my Apple TV I don't see these channels.