Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
sapphire89

Nordic Crush

I only got worried cause the ID and the electrician both like... Like that might be ugly la.... Hmm... I suppose if we route it properly then might not be so obvious? I was thinking more on the ceiling lights cause all the HDB provided points like a little off from where we wanna place the lights... Did you all not move any of the points?

To me it's actually not that bad, but because nowadays everyone also do false ceiling so contractors / IDs like to say it's ugly.

Last time house also all run the casing... So it really depends on how much it bothers you.

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

To me it's actually not that bad, but because nowadays everyone also do false ceiling so contractors / IDs like to say it's ugly.

Last time house also all run the casing... So it really depends on how much it bothers you.

Haha! Wise advice I think. I got so paranoid just noww... I think cause the fiance not there and only me so make decisions like this very stressful! Then of course fellow renotalkers always got all-rounded advice to follow!

It's been awhile since I've had a proper update but renovations take so much out of you that sometimes get tired of thinking of it. We've now had our kitchen wall taken down and the tilers and electrician's working on getting the electrical points in the kitchen correct. They've managed to save 2 electrical points from the wall and are being routed to the side of the island. They've also saved the light switch which will be moved to the nearest wall. We are putting in 2 new points on the other side of the island as well and random additions for the kitchen appliances.

We've managed to make some progress with the shopping and made a couple of big splurges over the last couple of weeks. Here's what we got!

Washer Dryer 9kg/6kg from LG - This comes with a free airfryer/garment steamer and we're probably going to get the air fryer. We think that the traditional ironing boards are the best rather then the steam ones.

Washer%20Dryer_zpsb9ky7e2s.jpg

Fridge - 507L LG fridge - Simple but sufficient. Comes with a Microwave or a Rice Cooker. Both of which we want but lucky us! We've bought 2 categories of items for LG so we're eligible to choose 3 items for free!

Fridge_zpsrhjna0j7.jpg

Air Con - LG (again!) We got the new Artcool System though we were originally thinking of getting a Daikin or Mitsubishi Starmex. What swayed us most was really that actual airconditioner as if you open and close the lid to the filters, you will realise it is not as fragile as all other aircons. Also it's fully made in Korea so we were like why not! Hope we didn't make the wrong choice! BTU wise it's somewhere in between the Starmex and the Daikin Envi. And the design is so sleek. If it weren't the fact that the aircon's mounted at the top of the wall I think we'll be using it as a mirror.

LG%20Aircon_zps2td8kiah.jpg

We've got our sofa and side table as a combo from Castlery after going to try over the weekend. We were looking at getting the Tana/Coria but when we went down to try it, we didn't like the firmness of the cushions, the height of the backs, and the seat depth etc... However, we did chance upon the Becks sofa which we fell for in terms of seat depth and neck support. Only criteria this didn't fulfill was it wasn't an L-shaped sofa. :( They had it bundled with a side table which takes it $100 off if you buy them individually. We got a welcome $25 discount as well. We weren't planning on a coffee table which will take up precious space in the living room so the side table is a good compromise!
beck_sofa-light-gray-angle_zpsnxzmgded.j
sabrina-accent-table-set-front_zpsko34y5
Finally, after looking at tons of bed frames and also contemplating on a taobao import, we decided on this FortyTwo.sg Delphine Queen Size Bed which suited our theme with the clean lines and colours and faux wooden legs!
Capture_zpsicltoecx.jpg

I'm next going to try import my dining table, lights and chairs from Taobao and fingers crossed all goes well! Do you guys ask them to pack the lights in wooden crates as well?

Edited by sapphire89

Hi sapphire89!

We are aiming for a sofa from Castlery as well! Ours is the Naomi though, we also went down to do a butt-test.

Not sure whether it helps with your sofa purchase, but originally we were aiming for L-shaped sofas, and already had one picked out (Commune), when my mother-in-law mentioned that it's best to get L-shaped where the ottoman is movable, because you never know when you would prefer to have the ottoman on the other side of the sofa. Since we are not building in anything (including TV wall) that is a real possibility we might rearrange our living room, so we thought that was good advice. Instead of L-shaped, we went for something similar to your sofa, but with a separate ottoman which we would use as the "L" part of an L shape. Not sure whether it would work haha. :)

Hi sapphire89!

We are aiming for a sofa from Castlery as well! Ours is the Naomi though, we also went down to do a butt-test.

Not sure whether it helps with your sofa purchase, but originally we were aiming for L-shaped sofas, and already had one picked out (Commune), when my mother-in-law mentioned that it's best to get L-shaped where the ottoman is movable, because you never know when you would prefer to have the ottoman on the other side of the sofa. Since we are not building in anything (including TV wall) that is a real possibility we might rearrange our living room, so we thought that was good advice. Instead of L-shaped, we went for something similar to your sofa, but with a separate ottoman which we would use as the "L" part of an L shape. Not sure whether it would work haha. :)

We did see the Naomi but the back was too short for our liking! We were disappointed in the Tana and the Coria that we nearly left without anything! Not that they weren't good sofas, but the Tana felt a tad too small and the Coria was deeper than we had imagined it to be. We were practically lying down while sitting on it so we decided not to get those despite them being our top choices. They looked much better in the pictures online than in real life.

We were lucky we fell for the Becks and were happy to give up the L part of our criteria for a sofa. Definitely agree with getting an ottoman sooooo... We're going to buy an armchair and ottoman from IKEA instead. Something that I fell in love with since I first laid my eyes on it a year ago!

strandmon-wing-chair__0325440_PE517966_S

strandmon-footstool__0325411_PE517980_S4

Edited by sapphire89

The IKEA armchair is super pretty!! I fell in love with it too. But it's quite firm hahaha! I don't mind it but my husband does.

Yeeee exciting!

I like the feeling when you get dwarfed by the chair and this is exactly what this one does. We don't know where to put it yet but definitely getting it! Either in the study room corner or the living room. I'm currently liking it for the living room cause it matches quite well with the sofa. Though it might be a little overkill and if that's the case, we'll move it to the study and set up a cosy corner with a standing lamp by the window for us to do reading in...

Oh gosh! Love the armchair!! :D The ottoman looks lovely as well!

Yeah I think sofas are the kind of thing that you really need to go and do a butt-test for. Some people like it softer, some firmer etc. We liked the Naomi quite possibly because both my husband and I have very short torsos so it was more than enough height! Agree with your comments on the Tana and the Coria, they looked nice online but both didn't really work for our butts in different ways when we went down to try, not to say they aren't nice sofas but probably fulfills someone else's requirements! :)

Oh gosh! Love the armchair!! :D The ottoman looks lovely as well!

Yeah I think sofas are the kind of thing that you really need to go and do a butt-test for. Some people like it softer, some firmer etc. We liked the Naomi quite possibly because both my husband and I have very short torsos so it was more than enough height! Agree with your comments on the Tana and the Coria, they looked nice online but both didn't really work for our butts in different ways when we went down to try, not to say they aren't nice sofas but probably fulfills someone else's requirements! :)

I know right?!

We saw one in Danish Design that the Coria sort of replicated when we saw the picture online. But alas. It didn't even look like it remotely! I was so disappointed. :( But Danish Design nice but too much for my bank account. Definitely my number one choice sofa...

I'm happy enough now so yay! Updates on the reno soon :)

All's going fast and furious at the moment.

My ID dropped a bomb on me yesterday! He walked into a porthole and has got multiple fractures in his foot :jawdrop: . Lucky they work as a team so the other J will do the site visits and J will work from home on other stuff... My mum's first reaction was like J look at pretty girls and never look at where he walking is it?

Well we've managed to overspend for the month and on hindsight I should have done better spacing the spending out to next month as well. What's done is done though....

Time to share so of the progress with the new house!

Kerbs are up though when I first saw the pictures I actually told J&J that don't the kerbs look a bit too low? I'm assured by them both that it's actually "foot-broken" J's not so great photog skills :bleah: . I will have to go check this weekend!

IMG_5979_zpszbyuhkru.jpg

IMG_5980_zpsmi41xdp9.jpg

They were saying the next time they take photo of the kerb they'll make it look like Great Wall of China... I said they might as well add LEGO man on there.

They've taken off the ugly vanity sink in the toilet and we are going to replace that with a wall mount sink with nice stainless steel/brass/chrome piping instead of the usual PVC pipes.

J dropped a bomb on me over the weekend which I didn't know whether to laugh or cry... Took Wednesday morning off from work to go through our requirements with the electrician, which switches needed to be moved and added and which light points or additional light points were required. I was then told that I'll get a quotation so that I can gauge the cost and whether some works needed to be removed to cut costs down... Lo and behold, to J's shock when he went to check on Sat morning all the electrical works had been done! Now I have to suck thumb and pay cause no point ask them redo... Waste of time and waste of resources. I did get some discount though but still... 8|

Here's to progress! :drunk:

IMG_5978_zpsyfrvslmm.jpg

IMG_5977_zpsoxglscfa.jpg

IMG_5981_zps1qfon8qd.jpg

Edited by sapphire89

I went ceiling fan shopping at Phylux on Saturday afternoon so that I could get another item off my mind....

I went for this Taiwan Aero DC fan in the end... I was only there to test the power of it since I liked the look of it in the pictures... The aerodynamics and aesthetics combined caused me to make my decision on the spot! The areas to test the fan was big but even then I could feel the power of the wind and I think that's a good fan in my opinion. Apparently it also "sucks" the air upwards and can reverse the flow of the wind? It's something the sales person described as good for people whom cannot blow fan directly? I suppose more for sensitive nose ppl and young children.

Ceiling%20Fan_zps6cq07msq.png

I went TB shopping in the morning. Almost $1k gone like that. TB is addictive... I'm now filling my wallet with decorative objects, sofa cushions and other scandi knick knacks, considering furniture and lights are settled. Nearing the move in date I will go and check them out and ship them in again.

Stuff that I've bought!

1.8m sold wood top dining table - lesson learnt! should have ordered this 5 days before all other stuff. everything has arrived in the warehouse but this! OMG! Lucky got 9 days buffer before need to add daily charge.

Dining%20Table_zps0hl3zgnv.jpg

Pendant lamp for above the dining table -

Dining%20Pendant_zpsfqcma3xj.jpg

Replica Eames Dining Chairs

Eames%20dining%20chairs_zps4xdsw7yw.jpg

Master Bedroom Pendant Lamps to frame the bedside

Bedroom%20pendant_zpstrcedgc9.jpg

Island top Pendant lights -

Bar%20top%20pendants_zpsrnopayhm.jpg

3 Barstools

Barstools_zpsl2gzp42e.jpg

Now popi popi everything comes alright! And the dining table ships before my 9 days in the warehouse is up!

XOXO,

Sapphira

We accidentally bought the wrong hob from Goh ah bee and want to exchange.

Goh ah bee agree but ask for the carton box packaging so we can return.

But we hvae already thrown the packaging away.

If any kind soul can spare us the packaging for this model - Bosch Domino 2 zone gas: PRB326B70E you have not thrown , we are more wiling to get from you at token sum $10-20.

Can collect at your place

This is the model we talking about, we need the carton packaging:

iXz6ZY.jpg