Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
ccting

Resale Reno On Budget - Scandinavian Inspired

we did quite a bit of things this weekend

1. went to Tampoi lightings

- price is indeed good, about much cheaper than SG

- we plan to get all our LED down lights (Philips - 9w and 11w), ceiling lights (for store, bathrooms), 3 KDK fans and 2 Elmark fans (improvised version - added lights to the fans) and 2 instant heaters

- we have not bought any as we do not drive... we probably need 2 trips to bring back all the stuff..

- we will update again when we bought the stuff (the shop does not allow photography)

2. went to meet ID to discuss

- to finalise electrical and lighting plans

- change of sliding window to casement window (master bedroom)

- change of veneer solid doors to classic door (budget consideration and that we don't really need a solid door)

- ask about timeline for reno...

as all of us know.. from now till next feb, there are lot of holidays... and the reno sector will rest for 1 month during the CNY period... we hope the reno

can be completed before CNY... so we don't need to wait for the 1 month long reno hols...haha...

so below is the proposed timeline

- 1st to 3rd week - lay tiles

- 4th week - plaster wall (the previous owner had rockstone wall...)

- 5th - 7th week - aircon installation, electrical work, plumbing and built-in

- 8th -10th week - painting, lay vinyl floor, install lights, fan and doors

3. went to see see look look sofa

- we like the cellini L-shaped Ross sofa... selling at $1199.. cheaper than many of the sofas we have seen and it's so far the only sofa both of us like...

but it's a little huge for us... the sofa is 2.9m long... we are still KIV-ing it... haha...

download_zpspedyxs1x.jpg

:yamseng:

Hi ccting,

You bought the lightings from Malaysia and hand carry back to Singapore? Will there be any tax?

(Because I was thinking to buy some from Malaysia due to the exchange rate. hee..)

Thanks.

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation

Hi ccting,

You bought the lightings from Malaysia and hand carry back to Singapore? Will there be any tax?

(Because I was thinking to buy some from Malaysia due to the exchange rate. hee..)

Thanks.

GST is payable on all goods brought into Singapore. If it is a day trip (away for less than 48 hrs), you are entitled to GST relief of $150. Anything above that will be taxable at 7%.

It is best to get a receipt from the shop and declare GST if you exceed the limit. If you don't declare and you are caught, it can be a very expensive lesson.

GST is payable on all goods brought into Singapore. If it is a day trip (away for less than 48 hrs), you are entitled to GST relief of $150. Anything above that will be taxable at 7%.

It is best to get a receipt from the shop and declare GST if you exceed the limit. If you don't declare and you are caught, it can be a very expensive lesson.

Hi ccting,

Thanks.

Hi,

Ks Toh is right! we have to pay 7% tax...

From what I know from the website, if we make a return trip within 48 hours, there will be a $150 GST relief... and if we leave SG more than 48 hours, the tax relief is $600...

the tampoi staff told me that they can issue a "fake" receipt which costs lesser, but once get caught, the fine is 10x...

i just went to but the fans and lights ... this is what i bought...

- 2 Sensa 5 (KDK)

- 2 V touch junior (KDK)

- 1 elmark swivel fan

- 1 improvised elmark fan

- 4 18watt led lights

- 26 Philips 9w/11w led downlights

and this costs less than RM5200 (SGD 1734)... because i went in alone and came back within 48 hours... my tax relief is $150, 1 paid $109 tax for the fans and lightings... still very worth it..

but note... if I am not wrong, if we get the fans and lights from anywhere except SG, it is not covered by insurance....

it is still very worth it to get the fans and lightings there...

Hope this helps:)

Edited by ccting

Hi ccting,

Thanks.

btw i did not hand carry it back, i brought everything back by car... the stuff alone is enough to occupy the boot and backseat totally...

Edited by ccting

hi all, :help:

I have a question to ask...

did anyone make the kitchen hob lower than the rest of the kitchen cabinet?

usually we will see people making the kitchen bottom cabinet of the same height... but I am 153cm, my mom asked me to make the cooking area lower so that i would not feel so tired cooking... but it wouldn't look nice...

any advice?

hi all, :help:

I have a question to ask...

did anyone make the kitchen hob lower than the rest of the kitchen cabinet?

usually we will see people making the kitchen bottom cabinet of the same height... but I am 153cm, my mom asked me to make the cooking area lower so that i would not feel so tired cooking... but it wouldn't look nice...

any advice?

I'm 156cm and have no problems with my hob at the standard height. I cook multiple times almost daily.

Hope that helps :)

I'm 156cm and have no problems with my hob at the standard height. I cook multiple times almost daily.

Hope that helps :)

Thanks bykaraanne for your sharing! :)

i went to try the height of the kitchen hob at my Mr's place... looks abit tall for me...

this is how the kitchen cabinet will look like when I reduce the kitchen cabinet for the hob portion..

Green-and-Lush-Kitchen_zpsozznpfti.jpg

20151211_221138_zpsuynntwsp.jpg

when the hob portion is lowered down, it doesn't look as nice right!!!dilemma dilemma :(

alternatively, we are considering to put an aerobic step at the hob portion if we built the cabinet at standard height... haha... am i too exaggerating ??? :bleah:

Hi CC, I'm 1.56m tall. When my ID n contractor were showing me the height of the hob, I was like .. hey, that's very short. My ID then explained to me and measured out the counter height with respect to my height. Sceptical, i then went back to my current home and measured - it's really the same! I'm currently using 850mm and have been cooking for 10+ years, no issues at all. 3cm should not make that much of a difference. If you are still worried, maybe can reduce to 830mm? Talk to your ID bah. I would prefer the hob and sink at the same height, more asthetically pleasant. Cheers! 🎃

Hi ccting!

Just to share my opinion, my in-laws place currently have this lowered kitchen hob layout. It's very inconvenient and messy especially when I want to scoop the soup from the saucepan to the bowl. Because of the dip I have to lift my arms higher when I transfer food from the pots and pans to the plates. The sauces are likely to drip along the side of the 'dip'. I think the streamline design is more convenient. :)

Hi ccting!

Just to share my opinion, my in-laws place currently have this lowered kitchen hob layout. It's very inconvenient and messy especially when I want to scoop the soup from the saucepan to the bowl. Because of the dip I have to lift my arms higher when I transfer food from the pots and pans to the plates. The sauces are likely to drip along the side of the 'dip'. I think the streamline design is more convenient. :)

thank you teegz! we have decided to keep the hob the same height as the rest of the cabinet! haha :) as we will be installing a glass panel to divide the kitchen from the dining room... making the kitchen look streamline is impt... otherwise it might spoil the look of the house...

Also, my ID is very funny... he frankly told me it will not look as nice if I were to lower the hob area... when I told him that I want to keep the hob at the same height, he gave me a hooray cheer on whatsapp... :D I tot he was so funny....

it's shopping time :dancingqueen:

many sales are going on... just Dec alone, there are 3 electronics shows at EXPO

My Mr and I bought the following items from the Audio House EXPO show last week..

a 9kg top load Panasonic washing machine.. at $459

20151212_143536_zpsqlj7ua8g.jpg

a 395L Hitachi fridge at $799 (stainless steel cover) give free 1.7L kettle :good:

20151212_144809_zps9odo6ji6.jpg

a Philips 50" Digital signal TV with free andriod box at $899+$20... dunno why they wanna charge the $20 for delivery for the purchase of TV

50PFT5100_98-IMS-en_SG_zpsbu4qbdee.jpg

we have purchase most of the big items.. except sofa and bed..

for bed wise... we will sleep on mattress on floor first... need to follow the chinese custom of 安床... so not buying it at the moment..

Other updates..

- plastering done... no photos as we are just making the walls smooth... so this is nt very obvious in photos...

- hob and hood delivered

- toilet bowls to be delivered tomorrow

- amcon shipping ETA 21 Dec

- wiring and aircon installation is 22 Dec

Hope everything will go smoothly.. :yamseng:

Edited by ccting