Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
Luxexplorer

42 Years Old Getting A New Look

Oh.. i got the 2 burner only cos my space limited. Both inner flame. I got that cos of novelty and my new place quite windy.. so inner flame might be more useful.. some fedback that 快炒 might be easier with inner flame?

We buy stilettos also 美 and comfy mah.. ok.. i'm drunk

Edited by Lazyfatcat007

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

Renovation progress moving ahead a little slower because of some changes I made to the kitchen layout. Initially decided to keep the kitchen sink at the same position but realised the impracticality of having the sink and cooker hob diagonally back to back. While cooking and moving the washed food to the hob will definitely cause dripping on the floor and this means mess so we relocated the sink to just in front of the window .. can enjoy the view and breeze while doing mundane job like washing up. ( no plans for overhead dish rack so its fine) They had to re-lay new pipes with waterproofing and seal up the other one

Also decided to conceal the toilet piping into the wall so plumber has to come first and Uncle tiler comes back again to complete the toilet wall tiles. I have to say this tiler who works for my contractor is really very good. He measures and ensures that the placement of tiles will be aesthetically pleasing as well. Very good job done for the rest of the floor tiles too.( sneaked a quick photo once they finished so looking a little damp)

Yard/ toilet tiles.
The colours looks so different from showroom - the transition looks kinda weird but contractor said once the door is up it will be fine.But we are considering if we should switch it around with copper on the wall and white on the ground.

eu4zlk.jpg1r3t05.jpg

Spotlight Good buys
My weakness for bedsheet and covers shows through today. Gorgeous designs and some scandinavian styles as well. There is a sale on selected brands and 1000 thread count KS fitted sheet egyptian cotton for only $54.90. GRAB !! Perfect for those looking for the cool soft feel.

Bright bohemian style and Scandinavian reversible quit covers + pillow case.
2dipowl.jpg29xu43s.jpg

Another find which peek my interest.
I remembered with fondness my first turntable at 22 years old and my first vinyl being OMD... very tempted to revive this in new home and they dont even look like they do anymore.
PROJECT Turntable
neyzkh.jpg

Lastly went to Jalan Besar to search for downlights. I feel that the lights in Jalan Besar is considerably cheaper than those in Balestier. I saw this and think it is a really good buy. Finally completed all my lights selection + some TB buys which I have yet to unpack n new house. Will share those soon.

LED Lights

(Lian Thong Lighting is located at 289 Jln Besar S(208952)- Look for Mr Koh) Price still negotiable. Made in Japan, 9w LED light, slim design and most importantly very economical.

11rt3cl.jpg

Edited by Luxexplorer

Just to clarified it's the king size fitted sheet 1000 thread count which is $54.90. The Koo brand which nextstep has boughtas well for KS it us about $89.00 for quilt and pillow cases but it is not 1000 htread count. I bought it ebcause of the colours and the price

1000 thread count? Ok.. going tmr. I was also looking at turntables leh.. haha. The purple turntable is positively delicious.. drools..

Ur tiling coming v nicely!!

Edited by Luxexplorer

Time for carpentry and colour selection.
WIW, Kitchen Cabinet, Shoe Cabinet, Storage cabinet and Vanity Base

Walk in Wardrobe - With wood laminates

2v1ahhs.jpg

Colour for Kitchen Cabinet - Gloss Tangerine OR Matt Paris Green OR Gloss White

2462nfa.jpg2jezjo9.jpg

Edited by Luxexplorer

Hi luxe,

I find the thread count number is getting ridiculously high past few years and remember reading an article about what to look out for when buying bed sheets

, especially those that claimed to be made of Egyptian cotton. The difference in price and feel is quite huge in the 1000tc Egyptian cotton sheets and quilt cover I bought and I am a little skepticle when I see a bargain sheet with ridiculously low price. They are still comfy to sleep on and I wonder if they are made of 100% egyption cotton and with the threadcount they claimed to be?

http://m.styleathome.com/shopping/buying-guides/buying-guide-the-truth-about-thread-count/a/34689

Edited by sarah833

Luxe,

If you haven't tried tencel fiber sheets, go try it. It's made of wood pulp (eg eucalyptus), so it's naturally cooling and anti-bacterial. Sheets with tencel and egyptian cotton mix are the best. It's also cheaper than pure egyptian cotton sheets.

Once I've tried tencel sheets, I've never gone back to others. :good:

Berried,

Tencel (and bamboo fiber) sheets feel great indeed, I am not sure if the anti bacterial property last forever though? How do you care for tencel sheets? Does washing with high temperature destroy the anti bacterial property?

Hi Sarah

I just wash them as normal. I've been using them for the past 3 years, nothing has changed. I wouldn't know about the anti-bacterial properties lasting forever, but I guess it's better than normal sheets that do not have them. HTH!

Berried! Thanks for sharing as have not heard of fibre sheets before but sounds good! i shop for bedsheets rather often but how come I've never come across before. Can you advise where you purchase them and I would like to give it a try :)

Sarah, you are spot on about the ridiculously high number of threadcount and similarly I have read the article about that thread counts can differ. Read below from article -

"Some use cheaper yarn types and exaggerate the thread count by using threads consisting of multiple, inferior, yarns plied together and then counting all the “threads” in the square inch area. This is way a 500 thread count quality fabric woven in Italy can feel completely different to a cheaper, mass produced product from Asia. A high thread count does not guarantee you a high quality product; it’s the fabric’s handle, yarn quality, country of origin, pricepoint, and weaving and finishing processes that will reveal its truth."

Edited by Luxexplorer

Hey Luxe,

I first got them at one of the B2 roadshows at Taka, so I would assume they still carry them. Robinsons has them too. I got 2 sets during the recent Black Friday sale. Brands that carry tencel sheets include King Koil, and one other brand. I can't remember what that brand is now. Will update when I get home. Hahah.

I love them because I don't sleep in air-conditioned rooms, so it's important that the sheets are cooling :) I've introduced my friends to tencel sheets, and like me, they've never looked back since!

Update:

The brand is Oasis Living, it was selling at a ridiculous $800 for king size, but because of Black Friday, they took 80% off! So #maituliao, just grab :P

Edited by Berried

Luxe,

I think besides exaggreating the thread count many bed linen sellers are out there to mislead consumers with the way they present the information. I was at Robinsons this afternoon and saw a lot of bed linen on sales. Quite a number of brands sell 600-800 TC egyptian cotton bed linens at below $150 per set , but the TC is per 10 cm square and not per square inch. 1 inch is equaivalent to 2.2cm so the TC is significantly less than advertised if it's displayed in the standard per square inch right?

So the important thing is you must know what you are paying for, like the design and buy those that are within your budget without paying too much attention to the TC advertised.

Any MUJI bed linens lovers here? I love the feel of the cotton and the design, bought a set from Taobao two Years ago that feels exactly the same as the ones I saw at the store here. The website said it's made of 新疆棉...Now I am crazy over beddings made of linen since I saw them on Pinterest and H&M carries them in Europe and ain't too expensive. Need to reserve luggage space when I next visit :)

https://www.pinterest.com/search/pins/?q=linen%20bedding%20ideas&rs=rs&term_meta%5B%5D=linen%7Crecentsearch%7C3&term_meta%5B%5D=bedding%7Crecentsearch%7C3&term_meta%5B%5D=ideas%7Crecentsearch%7C3

Edited by sarah833

Hi Sarah

I just wash them as normal. I've been using them for the past 3 years, nothing has changed. I wouldn't know about the anti-bacterial properties lasting forever, but I guess it's better than normal sheets that do not have them. HTH!

Hi Berried,

Haha if in doubt, pour in some dettol, or vinegar during wash cycle