Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
Luxexplorer

42 Years Old Getting A New Look

Khng, I am looking at the matt black with the yellowish marbley line in the photo above. Because it is not glossy and under warm light, it comes across like a different colour.

I am not so keen on the plain ones and prefer a dramatic top. This 3 which I have shortlisted are visually pleasing but feel it is boring..hehhe. What sort of top is yours, just curious.

I went for Casearstone Snow White in the end. Entry level and a classic. Have black counter top for a long time. Now white counter top match with light grey cabinets to give it a different look.

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

Lux. So I assume your unit is now without a main door since they have to take down everything to do concrete patching. Agree that the installer have no pride in his work, if he can think differently, you may not have to change a new frame.

Yeah the cabinets is finally here, can't wait after all the laminate is up, I also having same issue, the wall not straight, the ceiling not straight

common problem for all the old unit I think.

I also can't wait to start using my digital lock, can't wait I don't days I don't have to bring key anymore.

Will choose the gloss pulsar, love the grey line. My parents used the dark counter top and after the long years, find it a bit irritating coz really can't see if it's dirty or if there's an ant LOL or maybe is just the OCD in me :notti:

COUNTERTOP - KITCHEN

The intial design plan was to go with Kompacplus becuase we really like the slim woody colours. But lately, my taste has started to change and the more I stare at the Kompacplus top, the more I find it looking very uniform. Decided to check out quartz which is also highly favoured by fellow reno bloggers.

Visited Silestone and found some design which I liked. My kitchen cabinets are gloss white so that should be easy enough.

- Gloss Pulsar (white with grey & yellow line)

- Gloss Istmo - (grey with brown lines)

- Matt Doradus ( Black with goldish yellow lines)

Ding dong between decisions... I have reach a point where I am quite tired of choosing colours. Even for painting, when Contractor Desmond asked me to select colours and I just told him white la.
and he ws like "which white".. even white has like 10 whites to choose from.... :dunno:

149wgo7.jpg

Just wandering for the digital lock, in any case like suddenly the digital lock is spoil is there a way that we can still enter the house ? this my dilema whether to use digital lock or not :dunno:

PM you already! Please note that my installation quote is based on a new door with no old handle to dismantle.

For other new reno bloggers, I have included the number in the post of the Samsung lock.

Thanks for the link! I'm going to get one too. Can send me the contact for the installer?

Hello Pankponk! The samsung lock also comes with 2 emergency keys for manual use should anything happen. I'd suggest to keep 1 either in the car, in the office, in the bag or with a trusted family (in my case, my mum). Digital locks have come a long way since introduced and I am taking this step now because I saw them being sold in many shops and I am less worried about lack of expertise on repair etc.

I guess it is all about adapting to technology and soon it will become a part of daily lives :)

I also had a black/white specks countertop for 8 years so very sian too. It is very easy to fall back into the same old style which we liked / or used to so this time I am making a big effort to style the home in opposites of my previous flat.
Yet I don't want a turn yellow white countertop. Surprisingly the istmo (grey colour) is nobody's favourite. My cabinets will be completed by tomorrow and I will have a final "match and imagine" before deciding.

Will choose the gloss pulsar, love the grey line. My parents used the dark counter top and after the long years, find it a bit irritating coz really can't see if it's dirty or if there's an ant LOL or maybe is just the OCD in me :notti:

Just wandering for the digital lock, in any case like suddenly the digital lock is spoil is there a way that we can still enter the house ? this my dilemma whether to use digital lock or not :dunno:

Edited by Luxexplorer

This is the temporary door which has to be drilled in to lock every night ! LOL.

This guy is the worker for the carpentry department. Very professional and they are super efficient workers

2mh79fr.jpg

Lux. So I assume your unit is now without a main door since they have to take down everything to do concrete patching. Agree that the installer have no pride in his work, if he can think differently, you may not have to change a new frame.

Edited by Luxexplorer

The Itsmo is my favorite!! I might've gone with it instead of my solid top should I have found it earlier.

But no matter... Can always change it in a while if I wanna change my sink.

Quartz shouldn't really yellow over time, right? I mean, that's the whole reason why they're charging a premium for it, right?

What's the fav in your heart? The yellow/cream streaks you've placed as a choice, but you don't really seem to be considering it hahaha!

Anyway :sport-smiley-003::sport-smiley-003:

OMG you're a lifesaver! I was planning to get this but hesitated cause it's too expensive in the shops!! Now I can go out and get it!! Thanks for sharing the locksmith contact too! Was it a quick install?

Changbp. sorry for the overexposure as my main door has been removed and leaning against the window. I had some issues with door frame installation which I will talk about below. I will upload close up tis evening when they fixed my door back

This export model of this lock comes in Silver (About $999 with installation) and this rose gold is Korea's domestic model. Because of the colour, I decided to order from QOO10. The seller is really good as they will send you the english manual as well as the installation process via email. As this lock is very popular now, it wasnt difficult to find someone to install. I found Mr Lim online but another reno blogger had also used him for the same lock :)

I ordered the Push/Pull version instead of the Pull/Push as well as one extra tag and it come below SGD400 thus avoiding GST. Installation cost me SGD150. I understand the tag is available in SIngapore too

Really easy to use and looks good too! You can choose either biometric (up to 100 fingers), tag (which is like a scan tag) or pin number.

I am not having gate for the flat so only depending on this device and all my security cameras.

http://list.qoo10.sg/item/SAMSUNG-TODAY-ONLY-1DAY-BIG-SALE-SAMSUNG/413847706?selectedOptions=;;

Locksmith - Mr Lim - 8297 6087

** I have not removed the stickers protecting the interface.

10dtwlc.jpg24n318n.jpg

Kaki, your pic n illustration very cute!!! But at least you have a door, pressure them to get the frame area fixed asap!

This is the temporary door which has to be drilled in to lock every night ! LOL

2mh79fr.jpg

puteh83, I believe that these digital locks will be more sensitive than the olden type since more components in there.Once in a while slam door should be ok but not too often. I do that once in a while but now with this beautiful door and the lock, I will tone down my temper... hehehe

I'm very curious if the lock will be damaged if i slam the door?

It took about an hour for my brand new door as need to drill new holes. Seems easy for the locksmith.

OMG you're a lifesaver! I was planning to get this but hesitated cause it's too expensive in the shops!! Now I can go out and get it!! Thanks for sharing the locksmith contact too! Was it a quick install?

Edited by Luxexplorer

Kaki, my contractor mentioned that the door frame is not expensive but the labour to install the door frame is and it works out to be the same price as the main door! My door + frame cost me $1700.

** so now you know why I am even more upset about the door installation. :curse:

Fast and furious! Old units are like that I suppose... I also won't know how crooked my ceiling is until my wardrobe comes in... Hope you can finish by mid Jan
Btw, my ID told me door frames easily cost $800+ so telling me to keep the original frame.. true?

puteh83, I believe that these digital locks will be more sensitive than the olden type since more components in there.Once in a while slam door should be ok but not too often. I do that once in a while but now with this beautiful door and the lock, I will tone down my temper... hehehe

It took about an hour for my brand new door as need to drill new holes. Seems easy for the locksmith.

Probably quicker if don't need drill too much? My place has the HDB installed door alr... Thanks thanks! I bought it yesterday too! How long did it take to be delivered?

FIRE RATED MAIN DOOR / DOOR FRAME ISSUE

What we were also concern is that after a few years or less, the door might not be able to close anymore. The installer told me " can fill in the cement into the broken walls to hold up the door" which is true but wouldnt my door be permanantly uneven? WTF

Based on my limited experience, ideally the door frame concrete/cement should be one solid piece. Uf you repair, the plaster cement should be one continuous solid piece. If you affix the door frame and then try to fill the holes up with cement or plaster, the infilled parts will not be strong at all. It's merely cosmetic. After some time, especially with banging of doors, these parts will start dropping off, leaving gaps between the concrete and the door frame.

Edited by Ks Toh