Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
bB2121

Levelling up balcony floor + Glass curtains

Hey gurus....

My Condo is TOP-ping soon, as i have a balcony size of 5.5m by 2.1m, i plan to use it as my dining area.  In order to maximise space usage and project a deeper depth of my living area, i wish to remove the sliding doors leading to the balcony.  Hence the levelling up of balcony to match the living room floor, and of course to keep ourselves dining in comfort i will like to enclosed up the balcony to keep air conditioning within.

Now my queries, 

1) Can i overlay tiles to raise my balcony's floor height( approx 50mm)

2) Will i be allowed to remove the developer supplied sliding doors from living to balcony? (affects visage???)

3) Use of "Glass curtains" to enclosed the balcony forbidden by URA? (Can i install and use it discreetly?

Hoping all well informed gurus to help en lighten me please....

Thanks in Advance.

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation
On 5/16/2016 at 6:09 PM, bB2121 said:

Hey gurus....

My Condo is TOP-ping soon, as i have a balcony size of 5.5m by 2.1m, i plan to use it as my dining area.  In order to maximise space usage and project a deeper depth of my living area, i wish to remove the sliding doors leading to the balcony.  Hence the levelling up of balcony to match the living room floor, and of course to keep ourselves dining in comfort i will like to enclosed up the balcony to keep air conditioning within.

Now my queries, 

1) Can i overlay tiles to raise my balcony's floor height( approx 50mm)

2) Will i be allowed to remove the developer supplied sliding doors from living to balcony? (affects visage???)

3) Use of "Glass curtains" to enclosed the balcony forbidden by URA? (Can i install and use it discreetly?

Hoping all well informed gurus to help en lighten me please....

Thanks in Advance.

Hey there, I have the same questions as you. Wondering if anyone has the answer?

i'm not an expert but I think :

1. overlay tiles should not be an issue

2 and 3 unlikely as most if not all MCST have some by-laws on maintaining a common façade appearance for all units. by removing the sliding doors and adding any form of barriers to enclose the balcony will mean changing the external appearance of your unit hence resulting in a contravention of the by-laws.

best is check with your MCST management and verify what you can or cannot do.

Please take caution in topping up of the balcony floor. There is always a max load on how much more weight can the balcony floor withstand. HDB balcony (some ) has less max load than the normal flooring, so most often, condo will also has that. in worst case, cracks and falling of concrete will occur at your below neighbour unit... then sure lots of legal issues. Best is to check out your condo management on topping up/overlaying.

2 and 3 sure cannot. because management condo wants a 'uniform' look on the outside

On 5/26/2020 at 4:50 PM, kangeroo168 said:

HDB balcony (some ) has less max load than the normal flooring, so most often, condo will also has that

Yes this is something extremely important to take note, hence why HDB does not allow overlaying of tiles