Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
zirhk3355

All Tanglin Halt Road Neighbours! Report In Here!

sakea sushi... may i know which contractor u liase with? can share with me your contact? me planning not to go thru ID to save cost... but kinda worry...

anyone got any advice?

Hi Isling,

Ya..saw on the web that only low levels available now. How low can u accept? 4th / 3rd? Dover and Holland still have high level can try to aim for those if you dun mind.

Hi sake-sushi, can PM me ur ID/main contractor? Like ur reno. Me getting quotes first then decide.. u spend how much on the reno itself?

hi

i use a coordinator to oversee everything for me. the wet works and hacking was his contact cos you need a company to apply hacking permit and hold responsible for the wetworks in case something goes wrong :dancingqueen: wetworks better dun play play

for the rest of the works like false ceiling, electrical, carpentery works i have the contact. you can PM me if you are interested.

:yamseng:

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

Does anyone here have problems with the skim coat of your ceiling falling off?

Sigh, this has happened to my flat not just once but twice! Sometime in Dec last year, I was shocked to see layers coming off from my living room ceiling. Went to the service contractor at Blk 89 to complain, who got their workers to patch it up. At the same time, they also patched up some cracks which they found in my bedrooms. Back then, they claimed to have done a thorough check of the entire place and that such incidents should not happen again.

Last weekend, it happened again...this time in my MBR! The layers started coming off as we were painting the ceiling. The damage is about 50cm wide. My HB did a check of the MBR and found that it's hollow in many areas, and we won't be surprised when all those other areas also start falling off in time to come! Apparently, the service contractor didn't inspect my place as thoroughly as they so claimed. :furious:

In fact, over the past month, we noticed visible cracks that run across the bedrooms. Was gonna lodge a complaint when the incident happened last weekend. Does anybody here experience this too?

We were lucky we were just painting the base coat for the flat. Just imagine what would have happened if all painting and lightings were up and the same thing happens. A waste of paint and our time! Who's gonna be responsible and pay for the damages then? Does that also mean we have to dismantle the lights and wait for HDB to fix it? :furious:

Anyway have called HDB to complain and they are sending someone to fix it tomorrow.

Sorry for my grunting. It's a Monday all right, and this had to happen! :(

Here's some photos I took in Dec last year. Didn't take any photos last weekend as I didn't have my camera with me then.

s320x240.jpg

s320x2401.jpg

maybe you should use oil base sealer to paint as base coat before normal paint. this might help. especially with false ceiling.

Hmm...I don't think the skim coat peeling off has anything to do with my painting, as the cracks have appeared even before I started painting the base coat. As with my living room ceiling, we didn't even start any reno works yet and they fell off suddenly. The skim coat is like a thin layer of plastering which HDB does for our ceilings.

Btw what's the difference between oil-based and water-based base coat? Any effect on the finished painting works?

Hmm...I don't think the skim coat peeling off has anything to do with my painting, as the cracks have appeared even before I started painting the base coat. As with my living room ceiling, we didn't even start any reno works yet and they fell off suddenly. The skim coat is like a thin layer of plastering which HDB does for our ceilings.

Btw what's the difference between oil-based and water-based base coat? Any effect on the finished painting works?

oil based is used more as a ceiler/base coat before actual painting

HTH

Hi Isling,

Ya..saw on the web that only low levels available now. How low can u accept? 4th / 3rd? Dover and Holland still have high level can try to aim for those if you dun mind.

Hi sake-sushi, can PM me ur ID/main contractor? Like ur reno. Me getting quotes first then decide.. u spend how much on the reno itself?

Hi Pongy,

I have decided to give up ...

Back to my initial plan of resale flats instead ...

:bangwall:

Oh no..country lover, that's quite an irritating issue to handle. I hate flaking ceiling, that happened to my previous flat (well, my parents' one), very irritating and sickening to see it.

Hi Pongy,

I have decided to give up ...

Back to my initial plan of resale flats instead ...

:bangwall:

Hi, not trying Holland and Dover? Holland location is as good as CW also.

eh although i m not a neighbourhood of tanglin halt bt i personally feel selecting a new flat is beta than resale?

u shd raly consider dover, dat location is also good and convenient..

Edited by mocchi

Yup sure is warm. btw the aunty staying below u kinda "dao". My wife smile at her when she was going out walking her dog but she give us the "owe her 1 million dollar look" :dunno:

haha i guess she as expecting you to buy 2 cans of abalone for her but never. so she give you a "own her 1 million look" loh.

hi

i use a coordinator to oversee everything for me. the wet works and hacking was his contact cos you need a company to apply hacking permit and hold responsible for the wetworks in case something goes wrong :dancingqueen: wetworks better dun play play

for the rest of the works like false ceiling, electrical, carpentery works i have the contact. you can PM me if you are interested.

:yamseng:

thanks sakae for the info..me still contemplating whether to hire id or contractor.. guess got it pros and cons... shall see wat the quotation from id first.. will PM u if i need contact.. Thanks in advance

BTW will we save alot if we go thru contractor? will the main contractor give suggestion as well or basically everything follow wat u say?

Hi, not trying Holland and Dover? Holland location is as good as CW also.

Thanks Pongy + Mocchi,

I did try consider Dover Crescent ... went to have a l@@k yesterday ... but finds tat area not as lively as Tanglin Halt ... + kinda far from MRT ...

So ... back to initial plan :drunk: ... Resale 8| ... Haiz!

Edited by lsling

thanks sakae for the info..me still contemplating whether to hire id or contractor.. guess got it pros and cons... shall see wat the quotation from id first.. will PM u if i need contact.. Thanks in advance

BTW will we save alot if we go thru contractor? will the main contractor give suggestion as well or basically everything follow wat u say?

when it come to contractor and id, best is to know your stuffs or they will "eat" u. never make full payment until work is done and u are happy. pay money liao everything cannot be done or change. not yet pay money everything can be done. :dancingqueen:

Thanks Pongy + Mocchi,

I did try consider Dover Crescent ... went to have a l@@k yesterday ... but finds tat area not as lively as Tanglin Halt ... + kinda far from MRT ...

So ... back to initial plan :drunk: ... Resale 8| ... Haiz!

Then how abt holland? This near to mrt and mkt. Its not easy for you to get a Q no next time and do also consider that the HDB has change its rules. The COV for resale in Queenstown area still high? You need to consider this also.

Hi Isling,

i've chosen my unit last week...@ TH. :)

Ya, i agree with the rest, you should look at new flat instead..Dover is quite a nice and serene area, quite attas too cos you're surrounded by condo. Me and HTB did consider Dover for worst case scenerio...Go there look see look see again lor...

Otherwise, 4th floor in TH should be okay too...(strathmore 4th floor was our top choices and it was taken up just before our turn! Argh!)

Sakae sushi,

Can we go look see your hm someday??? The moment i saw the decor on magz, i showed to HTB and told him i love it! Then to realise it's a flat at TH! So, would really like to visit your place. hehehe....

Anyone has already compiled reno/ID cost comparison? can share share? :D

Hmmm...i've been urging my HTB to start the soccer club and tupperware club community. Ha! *bleah*

cheers!

*our love nest is at blk 89.