Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
zirhk3355

All Tanglin Halt Road Neighbours! Report In Here!

My pictures are ok using the HDB provided cable.

Armani, my wife and I would like to visit your home, is it ok?

Shucks, my second hand 29" CRT Thomson TV spoiled yesterday, time to get an LCD liao....countrylover, how do you DIY ur living room TV feature wall huh? Can I take a look, and perhaps you can teach me how to DIY by the time I got my new LCD TV? :rolleyes:

We just finished the MBR feature wall, have not started on the living room one yet. Not quite decided on what to do with the feature wall too. But we'll probably make a trip down to Soon Bee Huat soon to check out what they have, then decide on the design. Must warn u 1st though it's really not easy, esp when you are doing it for the 1st time. It's not just about sticking the tiles on the wall, but the mixing of sand and cement which is a big pain, cos the proportion has to be just right. But once u get the hang of it, it shd come on quite easily. :thumbs up:

Actually my HB did it all by himself, I just stood watch by the side and comment. :P

I believe u will be mounting your LCD TV on the wall? That one I'm not sure how to get it done, probably need to drill holes and mount the brackets etc. I can check with my HB and PM u.

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request
Tanglin Halt Usual Meetup

Date / Time: Every Saturday, 2pm onwards

Location: Kopitiam at Blk 46-1 Tanglin Halt Road (opp our estate behind the big open carpark)

Map: See star in map above

Ok, confirm your attendance for this sat THUM, cannot fly aeroplane har... 8|

1. Me~ (2 pax) Timing to be confirmed.

Pongy, Hazelnut and OCCty should try come too! Hm...Just nice for me also can go try the chicken rice see if it is still the same?

Have to check wif bf if he can make it....will update u again :thumbs up:

Edited by Hazelnutt

Hi neighbors,

Need to understand some reno thingy from u guys..

Feature wall for TV

1) Will there b problems if i change the size of the TV next time? Eg, i have now a 40" TV, next time i buy 42" how to hang onto the feature wall? Must drill new holes? Won't that be ugly?

2) Will there be sufficient gap b/w the Tv and the feature wall for ventilation?

3) If dun do feature wall the cables can only be hidden by trunking (is that what u called it? the PVC looking strips)

Toilets - understand that no hacking of walls and floor tiles (for the next 3 yrs, err tink left 2yrs right?)

1) Can do overlay, thats what i understand. But what are the problems if do overlay? Will the tiles 'pop" out many years later?

2) If do overlay, that means the level of the floor is higher right? will we have to level the whole hse also? (to balance up with the increase of height in toilet?) Then can the toilet door close well with the increase of height?

Hope someone can help here...quite idoit with those reno thingy.. :(

Thanks ya

Edited by pongy

2529828403_030beed11f.jpg

Tanglin Halt Usual Meetup

Date / Time: Every Saturday, 2pm onwards

Location: Kopitiam at Blk 46-1 Tanglin Halt Road (opp our estate behind the big open carpark)

Map: See star in map above

Ok, confirm your attendance for this sat THUM, cannot fly aeroplane har... 8|

1. Me~ (2 pax) Timing to be confirmed.

Hi,

Any old neighbors gg for this THUM? cos my HTB keen to go up and view u guys flats if possible..

Edited by pongy

bro, scrap those cables u buy from neighbourhood shop and maybe even harvey norman, if you need lengths longer then what HDB provided, go to LHS at Sim Lim and get them to customise using Belden Coaxial cables...proper termination n shielding is very important for such cables as they pick up alot of "noise" (i.e. EMC).

i will be making a trip to LHS myself to get speaker cables for my rear speakers so if u want to tompang the purchase i did be glad to help just don fly aeroplane on the end product ;)

if you need standard length type, i have enuff to spare - let me know

thanks so much ur help. i dono of the length of coaxial cable i need yet. but sim lim tower very near my workplace. so will go down when i'm free and decided the exact length. still deciding whether to do up a partition so that i can mount my lcd tv anot. shall bear with my tv for now. haiz... i hope the blurness doesn't lie with the length of the cable else i would needa shift my tv point.

and for Oda. my home is on the 36th floor. and it's the only unit on entire floor with full length(top to bottom) glass window. so try to guess which unit is it. :P

thanks so much ur help. i dono of the length of coaxial cable i need yet. but sim lim tower very near my workplace. so will go down when i'm free and decided the exact length. still deciding whether to do up a partition so that i can mount my lcd tv anot. shall bear with my tv for now. haiz... i hope the blurness doesn't lie with the length of the cable else i would needa shift my tv point.

and for Oda. my home is on the 36th floor. and it's the only unit on entire floor with full length(top to bottom) glass window. so try to guess which unit is it. :P

Hi Armani, my 2 cents worth.

Cable quality may be one element, but to have the coaxial cables going for 10m, you may need a signal booster, else the signal will definitely be affected.

And it will certainly reflect worse if you are watching a high definition TV, more pixels, more blurr...

Ask a shop that you trust at Sim Lim for their opinion

:)

Edited by mighty6

We just finished the MBR feature wall, have not started on the living room one yet. Not quite decided on what to do with the feature wall too. But we'll probably make a trip down to Soon Bee Huat soon to check out what they have, then decide on the design. Must warn u 1st though it's really not easy, esp when you are doing it for the 1st time. It's not just about sticking the tiles on the wall, but the mixing of sand and cement which is a big pain, cos the proportion has to be just right. But once u get the hang of it, it shd come on quite easily. :thumbs up:

Actually my HB did it all by himself, I just stood watch by the side and comment. :P

I believe u will be mounting your LCD TV on the wall? That one I'm not sure how to get it done, probably need to drill holes and mount the brackets etc. I can check with my HB and PM u.

Hmm, I guess I'll sit the new tv on my tv console instead since the tv console is big enough for a crt tv.

But i will still look forward to see ur DIYs though for knowledge.

Armani, I think I know which unit you are talking about after looking at the pics in ur multiply...hehe..

Cable quality may be one element, but to have the coaxial cables going for 10m, you may need a signal booster, else the signal will definitely be affected.

And it will certainly reflect worse if you are watching a high definition TV, more pixels, more blurr...

not to mention also if you are planning to use signal booster: you should use only industrial-quality cable TV amplifiers (not available at retail) should be used to amplify weak signals. Cheaper ones, sold at general retail stores, often cause more problems.

but typically, if your cable is of good shielding properties with a good tight seal for the connector, alot of "noise" could potentially be eliminated.

But Mr Chairman, you are in RC right? Technically speaking, neighbours got problems all can approach u mah. ::bleah::notti:

Nope, I am not in the RC...erm at least not yet... :bleah:

Hi,

Any old neighbors gg for this THUM? cos my HTB keen to go up and view u guys flats if possible..

Surely there will be old (so fast old already???) neighbours lah, but like I said whether got house-visiting session will depend on the turn-out lor...

So fast fast jio more people to come! Those who are keen can pm jule, wayne, sakae or myself for contacts... :notti:

Nope, I am not in the RC...erm at least not yet... :bleah:

Surely there will be old (so fast old already???) neighbours lah, but like I said whether got house-visiting session will depend on the turn-out lor...

So fast fast jio more people to come! Those who are keen can pm jule, wayne, sakae or myself for contacts... :notti:

dear all fellow future neighbours, we have just selected our unit at block 90. great to be part of this lovely neighbourhood ... too bad currently overseas for work. will love to join us guys in july for chat! soo.... exciting!

not to mention also if you are planning to use signal booster: you should use only industrial-quality cable TV amplifiers (not available at retail) should be used to amplify weak signals. Cheaper ones, sold at general retail stores, often cause more problems.

but typically, if your cable is of good shielding properties with a good tight seal for the connector, alot of "noise" could potentially be eliminated.

thanks so much for the replies on tv cable . seems like shifting my tv point in inevitable. but i'm curious how some of the neighbours' contractor shift the tv point without having compromising signal quality. dono if can DIY the shifting of tv point. :)

thanks so much for the replies on tv cable . seems like shifting my tv point in inevitable. but i'm curious how some of the neighbours' contractor shift the tv point without having compromising signal quality. dono if can DIY the shifting of tv point. :)

bro, as mentioned, the quality of cable is the key, the cable must have good shielding with good termination. 10meters of cable signal will not be detrimental to the losses in dB's.

if you do not mind, just spend some $$ to buy a good cable and trial n error, you will know the difference ;)

by re-routing the SCV point will effectively also mean running a longer cable then is what is available currently, so do ponder over it ;)

end state is total cable length is going to be the same, it is either via extension of coaxial cable externally or internally

hi all,

can side track abit? :P

i think knocking off walls cost around 300 bucks each wall rite? how about buiding up new walls? cost of sealing door position and change it to another position?

sakae, how much u paid for the glass partition of ur kitchen har? the area where u place ur stove where u can see the living room while cooking?

hi all,

can side track abit? :P

i think knocking off walls cost around 300 bucks each wall rite? how about buiding up new walls? cost of sealing door position and change it to another position?

sakae, how much u paid for the glass partition of ur kitchen har? the area where u place ur stove where u can see the living room while cooking?

Hacking will coz around 8 - 10 K

Hacking will coz around 8 - 10 K

hacking got so ex meh. i remembered i did my parents place, we didnt go to ID but to reno firm. hacking wall is abt 300. hacking floor is the expensive one...hmm....