Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  

Day 20 - no pictures quick update

ID called this morning (8am plus so early he start working already o.o) and asked if we could drop by our unit this Sunday (day 23) to meet with the painter doing touch up.
Told me that they would be doing chemical washing in the morning and that the painter will be there at about 1pm to do touch up of painting.
Since we already planned to drop by on Sunday, I agreed. Plus I noticed some spots that required the painter to touch up during my visit on last Saturday (day 15).
Does it mean that with chemical washing & paint touch up, the reno journey is coming to an end?

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request
On 10/18/2016 at 0:14 PM, slashmylove said:

Haha hello! Yah mine is moving too fast so I'm a bit worried about the quality of work but when we went to check last weekend, seems to be ok overall, some issues that should be able to be rectified. Gotta say that the paint job was not well done at all. Sigh.

In fact, we spotted a small chip on the window frame the 2nd time we went up, and the thing is it cannot be fixed, the ID said that can only paint over. So upset.

Another thing that irritates me greatly was that the workers opened the toilet in the MBR to use when I saw last Saturday!!!! SO ANNOYED. Is it because I'm anal? I feel that they should stick to using the common toilet cos their usage is SO FREAKING DIRTY!!!! ARGH!

We're still looking for storeroom racks and curtains.. Still thinking whether it's justifiable to spend like 1k+ on curtains or should we DIY. Storeroom racks totally haven't source cos recently had been busy with other stuff. I'm looking at the typical boltless racks (is that it? I donno also).. you? Please do share when you decided! I follow your Tblog too :)

How's everything! Is the paint looking better after a few more coats? Your ID really starts work super early haha. 

Did you all seal up the master toilet wc with newspaper and masking tape? I've heard of workers who secretly open up the sealed wc to use, then denied it! 8| 

There there, don't be upset liao~ At least the journey is ending! Can enjoy your home very very soon :P

Same, considering to DIY curtains for certain rooms. Now still busy, will think about this at a later stage. Haven't really done proper research for the racks too! Actually those with bolts or boltless don't seem much different to me :dunno:I Might go for ikea's wooden racks or something more aesthetically pleasing (than the regular racks) in the end. Haha

46 minutes ago, kingandbin said:

How's everything! Is the paint looking better after a few more coats? Your ID really starts work super early haha. 

Did you all seal up the master toilet wc with newspaper and masking tape? I've heard of workers who secretly open up the sealed wc to use, then denied it! 8| 

There there, don't be upset liao~ At least the journey is ending! Can enjoy your home very very soon :P

Same, considering to DIY curtains for certain rooms. Now still busy, will think about this at a later stage. Haven't really done proper research for the racks too! Actually those with bolts or boltless don't seem much different to me :dunno:I Might go for ikea's wooden racks or something more aesthetically pleasing (than the regular racks) in the end. Haha

We didn't seal with extra stuff cos HDB ones came sealed mah.. initially they used the common toilet which I thought was reasonable - cannot don't let people go toilet while working in our unit right.. but didn't expect so "bu zi dong" one.. if they never clean the toilet when we head down this weekend I'm going to complain to the ID. cos I also don't know what does "chemical cleaning" include. plus the common toilet one was dirty lor got poop at the side one so disgusting!!!!! :(

Then our project FB group, someone shared a group buy for curtains - less than 1k for day & night curtains for all rooms which I thought was quite reasonable so maybe will get a few quotations and compare first.. cos DIY quite troublesome also haha! (lazy)

The racks I also no preference, will see if anyone in the FB shares a group buy and if the price is alright then probably just get, cos it doesn't have to be aesthetically pleasing to me also lol I very chin-chye with that..

Day 23

Dropped by yesterday (day 23) to inspect the works done + wait for the painter and tell him what to touch up.

Found some defects on the carpentry works, paint works and little things. Will document it down here. Some pics (actually most) are blurred hahaha cos I used panorama mode and maybe moved too fast.

The damaged downlight has been replaced. The gap between the ceiling and the other downlight was fixed. (no pic)

The switch at entrance by default has two switches, cos 2 electrical points. But we only used the one at nearer window for ceiling fan and sealed up the one nearer the door. So now we're asking if can connect the other switch (now empty) to the downlight at entrance. Hopefully it can be done! I honestly didn't know lah else I would have asked for it earlier I thought the electrician would auto.. lol. but electrical works we paid already x.x so hoping for the best. If really cannot then at least i'll insist that they change it to a single switch (for the ceiling fan with light) else really very fed up to see empty switch lol.

The switch behind the partition wall is still not yet shifted out - I can confirm he forgot about it despite our multiple reminders. So he called us after we sent a few messages and told us to mark it down in masking tape and indicate where we want the switch to be.

P_20161023_124850_PN.jpg

Living room TV console is up - this is the view when I stand at the sofa area (the partition wall here lor as above pic).

P_20161023_165024_PN.jpg

Some minor defects (can see the masking tape markings? lol). The laminate a bit scratched, the hole in the middle (for cables/wires) never smoothen the edge, the metal part in the middle never stick properly.

P_20161023_132119.jpg

P_20161022_224230.jpg

Now to bedroom wardrobes.. Asked the ID why the shelvings not adjustable type, I'd assumed it would be so. Waiting for his answer (cos I just wrote down all the things and sent him this morning). And the internal is white PVC laminate... need to top up for coloured PVC so I didn't.. sad.. my current bedroom's $400+ store bought wardrobe also got internal laminate lor..

MBR wardrobe

P_20161023_164813_PN.jpg

There is a scratch (?!) on the laminate for the switches area, they better fix it cos it's so ugly!!!!

P_20161023_141421.jpg

BR 2 wardrobe. The left side inside still can put things, it's not dead space. I think they made it as such so that the sliding door still can be same sized? Donno.. Anyway this wardrobe supposed to be 150cm, but I measured 161cm. I told the ID to stick exactly to 150cm cos I don't want to open door and be greeted by wardrobe laminate, I prefer to have some leeway when opening/closing door. So if ask me to pay for this I'll not be willing to pay cos I didn't ask for it!! Extra 11cm later ask me to pay for 1 foot run very not worth leh! We'll see how it goes... Oh ya, the top of this wardrobe in BR2 right, had a small square of laminate patch! It's like they screwed up and patched it up. SO UGLY!!!! Seeing if they can do anything about that. Angry sia. Hahahah!

P_20161023_164544_PN.jpg

Supposed to have a connecting joint between the tiles and vinyl flooring.. Not yet done. So donno whether they plan to put or not, but I will insist since it's inside the quotation and the tiles are cut with some edges (cannot feel but can see, so ugly). You see the picture, can get what I mean?

P_20161023_141357.jpg

The kitchen dish rack glass is supposed to be black. It's in his first draft of the kitchen drawing and we didn't make any changes so I also donno why he mixed it up o.o But it looks quite like the drawing lor.

P_20161023_170504_PN.jpg

Overall Qquite pleased with the works so far here. Except that my Fujioh hood's oil collecting tray is like dented in the middle. Asked the ID to fix it too - simple job he said.

P_20161023_170112.jpg

One question I had was why was there a gap between the granite top and the wooden cabinet? Our sink is top mount and I feel that it should be like that hob area, cabinet and granite top flushed together without gap. Donno if you guys can see from the pic.. Please let me know your views.. I'm concerned about the sustainability cos we didn't build concrete support, plus ours is silgranite sink very heavy leh....

P_20161023_134758.jpg

The cabinet at the other side (fridge side) is ok except that one of the doors is not straight. This is a small issue lah just need to adjust the hinge. This one need to adjust if not will hit the fridge base when open very hard lol (cos I very rough, already hit when I opened it the first time haha).

P_20161023_135208.jpg

So the painter touched up and paint and we left before he's done. We did chill inside BR3 (cos ceiling fan up and running haha) and very cooling, feel very worth my money now lol.
So far the carpentry is mainly done, left some little things here and there. As of now, these are the outstanding works:
1. TV console doors;
2. Kitchen sink, tap, plumbing, hob & gas;
3. Kitchen light;
4. Toilets T5 lights;
5. MBR & BR2 switches;
6. Shifting out of switch behind partition wall;
7. Fixing back DB door (gonna try asking for laminate over it and some shelving inside - wish me luck);
8. The connecting joint between tiles in corridor & bedrooms' vinyl flooring;
9. Door stopper for main door;
10. Glass for toilet;
11. Glass door for kitchen;
12. Glass backsplash behind sink/cooker.

Ok I've completed my weekly update lol. That's all for now~

On 10 October 2016 at 11:04 AM, slashmylove said:

Also on Day 9

After visiting the house, we decided to go look see electronics.
Actually we had decided on the model of fridge and washer we wanted and done some price comparision and research and found that this shop was really the cheapest. Went down and the sales staff was very helpful and cos we bought quite a bit, gave us a bit discount too so I'm pleased.
We didn't know what TV to get, although we had a few in mind, 49-50" tv. We're not avid tv fans so didn't want to get too big TV (save money) plus already told ID that we're getting 50" max so the TV console was designed to fit 50" to look best, though it can fit 55" also lah..

Anyway we reached the place and there were actually a lot of sales staff, which I believe was sorted according to brands. We browsed around first. Cos after we decided to go this shop, realised that one of our friends bought their stuff there too so we went to his recommended sales staff. So we waited for that specific staff, who happened to be mostly selling Samsung. Not an issue to us cos we planned to get Samsung fridge and washer anyway.
Only the TV - we were kind of set on LG - the price and promo was quite worth it imo. What I really liked was that the screen was hard - like hp screens, rather than the normal soft screen. However, after looking around and seeing the prices, saw a Samsung curved TV for around the same price and decided to get the curved TV. The colours were nicer also and it's curved! Haha superficial. Anyway we got this - Samsung UA-49KU6300. It came with free wall mount & installation but we topped up for a swivel wall mount (I insisted) and the promotion included a Samsung soundbar too but we didn't need that so the staff reduced price for us (which covered the swivel wall mount wahaha).

tv.jpg

Initially we had decided on a smaller fridge (362L) and it was $800+ at most places which was within our budget. But as we looked, I felt that since a fridge is supposed to last quite some time, and we are planning to have kids, decided to get a bigger one (440L). The price wasn't a huge difference and I really liked the bigger capacity although the size wasn't that much bigger. Plus the colour! So much nicer than normal silver fridges!! Haha paiseh, superficial again!! And this shop offered a lower price than the ones we asked so yup, decided to get Samsung RT-43K6037UT.

fridge.jpg

For the washer, we wanted to get front-load washer. Previously a sales staff told me that if we were to use King-sized bedding and wanna wash everything at a go, it is recommended that we get a 9kg washer. So all along we were looking at Samsung WW90H5200EW, which this place was selling at a lower price btw. However, the day before, we were at Gain City Sg Kadut browsing around and noticed that the 8kg/6kg washer dryer price was quite worth leh! Maybe $50 more than the 9kg washer only. So we had a discussion whether we need 9kg washer or not. My concern was that due to the nearby construction and renovation, our area might still be dusty and sometimes it would be better to use the dryer esp during rainy season. It would be good to have that function although we won't use it frequently (use a lot electricity leh).
After much deliberation, we decided to go ahead with washer dryer. The conclusion was, if really cannot, then we split the washing lor.. lol.. plus how often do we wash the whole set right, at most 1x a week only. What we liked about this washer dryer that we got was that it can complete a wash cycle in under 1 hour (lol 59 mins zhun zhun) and there is an option for quick wash (15 mins) for stuff that wasn't too dirty or what. So in the end we got a Samsung WD80J6410AW.

washer.jpg

Lol seems like we are Samsung promoters! Anyway what we liked about this shop was despite its lower prices than the major retailers, credit cards were accepted at no additional charges and we get to keep the stock in their warehouse for a longer period. The major retailers that we went to, promotional items must be delivered within a month but we weren't sure whether we would be moving within a month or not. We would definitely deliver by end Nov but we don't like the restriction - what if for some reason, our move-in date was delayed right? Delivery on Saturdays have no additional charges too. Plus earning rebates on credit cards while spending on these essential items didn't hurt.
So the sales staff got a good price for us, together with the agent issued grocery vouchers, we spent slightly above my initial budget of 3k for these 3 items so I'm pleased (as you can see, I'm in charge of budget).
We paid a deposit of around 10%, then we will come and settle the balance payment when we've decided on delivery date (must settle payment before delivery).
Donno whether can post the shop name openly so if you're interested in the shop name & the staff contact, can PM me (I'll reply tmr cos I don't have his name card with me now, need to go home see).

Since we're on the topic of shopping, I'll just add on what I bought for my kitchen!
Sink - Blanco Pleon 8 in alu metallic. My counter top is black - Indian granite and I really don't fancy stainless steel sinks so this was my choice. Initially we thought super hard cos our kitchen is quite small and this sink is relatively big lol. don't care lah just get!

sink.jpg

Fujioh FG 3773 SGVL - 3 burners cos we will cook and 1 of the cooker would have inner flame, which was the reason I chose this. Rinnai too expensive lol!

cooker.jpg

Fujioh SLM-900 - came in a package at a good deal (to us, at the point of time, now i don't know liao. If you want to know the price can let me know)from Hoe Kee.

hood.jpg

Ok that's it for now.. donno when will update again.. recently busy + never go to our house leh.. maybe weekend go see see..

Things outstanding to buy - only furniture (sofa, dining set & bed). Maybe bedside tables also.

Ok bye liao.

Hey, great t-blog. 

Dropped you a pm to request the shop and staff name. Appreciate if you can share. 

Tks! 

3 hours ago, Dheng said:

Hey, great t-blog. 

Dropped you a pm to request the shop and staff name. Appreciate if you can share. 

Tks! 

Thanks! Just saw your PM & replied! You so early start browsing forum hehe :) 

17 hours ago, tohlianseng said:

Hey!

can tell what colors do paint for your living room and all your rooms?

TKs!

Hi, I'm using Nippon Paint.

For living room & MBR - smoky (light grey) and dauphin grey (the darker grey).

BR 2 - I cannot find the name, the code number should be 5065.

BR 3 - peach silk (but looks more pink than what I would have preferred - wanted a really light pink but this was recommended by ID cos he said the colour nicer).

HTHs!

2 hours ago, Sendo999 said:

Hi,

Did you call up Hoe Kee? Or confirm with your ID that it is normal anot?

ID said it's normal, cos they encountered before. Will still call Hoe Kee but I wonder how to tell them without showing picture leh..

4 hours ago, Sendo999 said:

Hi,

Did you call up Hoe Kee? Or confirm with your ID that it is normal anot?

2 hours ago, slashmylove said:

ID said it's normal, cos they encountered before. Will still call Hoe Kee but I wonder how to tell them without showing picture leh..

Hi we've checked with Hoe Kee and they said that it's normal thus we'll be keeping it (also cos nothing we can do right hahaha). Anyway carpentry got warranty right lol..