Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
cookingbaker

Close or Open Concept Kitchen for Cooks and Bakers?

Hi everyone, I'm looking for homeowners who cook and bake a lot at home to share their advice/experience.

I like to cook, everything from steaming to stir-frying and deep-frying, so I know a closed concept kitchen will be better so that the house will not be oily / dirty.

But I also like to bake, and given Singapore's hot climate, it's easier to bake in an air-conditioned environment, so an open concept kitchen will be ideal because it doesn't make sense for us to install an air conditioning in the kitchen. An open concept kitchen is also more ideal for entertaining as we like to have friends over.

Are there any homeowners out there who have this dilemma and what are your kitchen concepts at the end? 

Thanks a lot in advance for your help!

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation
On 1/14/2017 at 5:53 AM, cookingbaker said:

Hi everyone, I'm looking for homeowners who cook and bake a lot at home to share their advice/experience.

I like to cook, everything from steaming to stir-frying and deep-frying, so I know a closed concept kitchen will be better so that the house will not be oily / dirty.

But I also like to bake, and given Singapore's hot climate, it's easier to bake in an air-conditioned environment, so an open concept kitchen will be ideal because it doesn't make sense for us to install an air conditioning in the kitchen. An open concept kitchen is also more ideal for entertaining as we like to have friends over.

Are there any homeowners out there who have this dilemma and what are your kitchen concepts at the end? 

Thanks a lot in advance for your help!

Hi! My situation is very much like yours. I have yet to get my house done but ive talked to several friends getting their opinions and feedbacks, Open concept is good as it gives that less stuffy feels... But i hate if the smells get into my living room (esp if im deep frying). So I will be doing a half wall half glass wall and i will install a wall fan in my kitchen. I hope this is good enough... But if anyone had more thoughts do share.... ;) 

On 1/16/2017 at 10:17 AM, Monishka said:

Hi! My situation is very much like yours. I have yet to get my house done but ive talked to several friends getting their opinions and feedbacks, Open concept is good as it gives that less stuffy feels... But i hate if the smells get into my living room (esp if im deep frying). So I will be doing a half wall half glass wall and i will install a wall fan in my kitchen. I hope this is good enough... But if anyone had more thoughts do share.... ;) 

this is what i intend to do also with my kitchen... open kitchen concept with glass panels..

I think glass panels don't fit every kitchen. For some styles they are absolutely inappropriate. Personally, always choose close kitchen, despite additional expenses for air conditioners.

On 1/31/2017 at 1:00 PM, lolagrace said:

I think glass panels don't fit every kitchen. For some styles they are absolutely inappropriate. Personally, always choose close kitchen, despite additional expenses for air conditioners.

Hi Lolagrace, I'm graduating towards close kitchen, but with half wall-half glass for the side facing the living room. For what styles glass panels will be inappropriate? Can you please elaborate? Thanks!

Hello! I also like to cook and bake too! I have not received my flat, but we have opted for open kitchen concept (didn't want to pay extra for HDB to build that ugly wall!)

How about doing a close kitchen, but place your oven outside? Something like a wet and dry kitchen? I've seen this idea quite frequently in western kitchens...

Hi! That was my dilemma too.

I wanted an open kitchen but my husband totally hates the kitchen smells escaping. 

So we compromised by having a wet and dry kitchen. So the cooking part is walled off but the baking part is with the living room which will be air-conditioned. Then I can get my marble island too :D

im doing part wet part dry. extending my wet kitchen to service yard, will have a dry kitchen with island counter & tall cabinet in my living. trying to cramp everything in my 3 room BTO is really a joke, but i need a place to bake & hold my classes. 

1 hour ago, matchalatte said:

im doing part wet part dry. extending my wet kitchen to service yard, will have a dry kitchen with island counter & tall cabinet in my living. trying to cramp everything in my 3 room BTO is really a joke, but i need a place to bake & hold my classes. 

I already feel so pek cek while doing up the design even though mine is 4room, everything feels so cramped, I cannot imagine your 3 room >.<

1 hour ago, cookingbaker said:

I already feel so pek cek while doing up the design even though mine is 4room, everything feels so cramped, I cannot imagine your 3 room >.<

ya, and paying so much to hack, make good then do glass sliding doors. is yours BTO as well? 

17 hours ago, matchalatte said:

ya, and paying so much to hack, make good then do glass sliding doors. is yours BTO as well? 

Yup BTO, pay so much for so little space :wacko:

23 hours ago, matchalatte said:

22 hours ago, cookingbaker said:

Really you guys can do a wet and dry kitchen? I just bought an EA resale flat and its bigger than the BTO kitchen but im thinking how to i make that wet and dry kitchen... i dont have a service yard so thats kind of a down point..

47 minutes ago, Monishka said:

Really you guys can do a wet and dry kitchen? I just bought an EA resale flat and its bigger than the BTO kitchen but im thinking how to i make that wet and dry kitchen... i dont have a service yard so thats kind of a down point..

I don't think I can do a wet and dry kitchen, otherwise I'll have to eat into my dining room area. I will be knocking down the service yard to make a bigger kitchen though

@Monishka can do but like what @cookingbaker said will eat into my dining area. if you solely want to keep the wet & dry into the existing kitchen area, not really possible for BTO even if you hack away the service yard. moreover my kitchen only 2.4m long. ridiculous!