Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios

Dear all,

I'm new to Renotalk and I really need help from the experienced homeowners here. 

I've been to some interior design companies - Sky creation, InspireID,3D Innovations, CarpentersSG and Destyle. They all quote me so much and I do not know if that is the market price for 5 room BTO flat. I got this flat through SBF and my flat comes with no floor finishes for living and bedrooms. 

Please let me know if you have any bad experience from the IDs I've listed above. 

Many thanks in advance. I'm already confused with all the quotes and I do not know if I still need to go and look for more quotes. 

Veky 

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation

Hi Veky! Welcome to renotalk!

I understand how you feel as it's really overwhelming as a new homeowner to have to decide on the "right" ID/person to do up your home. For all companies you approached, did they quote you on the same items or are they all different? If they quoted based on the exact same items it's alot easier to compare since it's apple to apple. If they all quoted different items, try and decide on the elements/items you would like to do up and let them know to revise the quotes based on your requirements so there is a basis for comparison. But ultimately, you should first decide on a budget you are comfortable with and let the ID know so they can work around it.

Aside from the design aspect (which I can't advise much, as I engaged a contractor who didn't give input on design).. one way to compare the quotes between the firms contacted is to calculate the individual pricing for the items they quoted. For example, carpentry usually takes up a chunk of the budget and can be calculated based on pfr (per foot run). Simply divide the $ amount quote by the number of ft listed. For example, if kitchen cabinets cost $3,510 for 27ft it equates to $130pfr. From my knowledge, the market rate is about $110 to $130 pfr for kitchen carpentry works. Similarly for kitchen countertop, prices are calculated based on pfr (appx $75 to $120+++ depending on material) as well. IDs may charge differently for the exact same material so it's useful to know the pfr calculations.

I was also quoted a range of prices from $7,000 up to $9,500 for tiling of living room + 3br floors for a 4-room flat. Certain companies charge a little more for certain types of works but may charge less for other things so it's up to you to gauge which price points you are ok with, and most importantly, which person you feel you have the most chemistry with.

All the best!

Edited by kingandbin

• Like 1

it gives you a rough price guide for some of the common reno works. if you're getting confused with all the quotes it might be because you did not convey your requirements clearly across every firm. you may have told ID A this and ID B that so its hard to compare. you need to tell all of them the same thing so you can do the comparison. some also do not listen well and will end up quoting you a different material or give you things you did not ask for. some will also not quote you for things you asked for so as to appear cheaper. 

if anything you're not clear about, you need to ask them. shoot them plenty questions, afterall you're the one parting with your hard earned money. i normally ask for quotes with options of different materials eg. quartz/granite/marble/solid surface, or normal glass/tempered/laminated. i ask them to put in all the prices so it will help me make the decision of which one to go for. 

if need be, visit as many firms as possible. i will do that (in searching for a contractor) because along the way i become more experienced, and i also learn tons of things from speaking to them. sometimes i may have my own ideas but if 9/10 contractors/ID say its not doable or not practical then at least it will make me rethink my decision.

• Like 1

Assuming you are totally clueless, I suggest you do this systematically.

1. Get a floor plan of your place with dimension. Make a few copies. You need to give this to IDs, contractors, suppliers etc.

2. Go visit show flats, friends' homes, Ikea etc to expose yourself to different styles, concepts, materials, colours etc. Have an idea of what you want e.g. marble, tile or wood floor, what type of built in furniture, electrical.

3. Give the same floor plan and requirements to the different IDs and contractors you meet. This is to allow you to make comparisons.

4. If you are really unsure of what you want to do for your place, or there are budget issues, then I suggest you do the "wet" works first. This means the flooring, plumbing, electrical. Also the kitchen and toilets. Everything else (furniture, electrical appliances, tables, chairs etc) you can buy from Ikea or anywhere, and add them as and when you like.

5. When you sign contract with ID or contractor, make sure the works are itemised and you are able to add/subtract items along the way. You may need to make progress payments along the way but make sure you don't have to pay up almost everything before anything substantial is done.

• Like 1

Thank you so much Guys!! 

And also please let me know if you can recommend me your IDs ! 

Any experience from the IDs that I've mentioned in my post ? 

Many thanks in advance for replying to my post and giving me guidance on how I should be going about. Really appreciate it! :)

Please be careful about Sky Creation. A few forum readers such as Michelle Ong have complaints about this particular company. Please check out her detailed review of the ID company at shopmytiki.wordpress.com

Take it one step at a time, can start with the flooring, hacking of walls etc eg.

1) decide on what tiles to get and their cost, go Hafary, Soon Bee Huat etc

2) decide if any hacking of walls required 

3) kitchen do you want a platform for your cabinets, dimensions for platform, tiling for backsplash?

etc.. etc.. 

Thank you all... really appreciate all the time taken to reply to my post. 

Apologies for the late reply. 

I will take note each and every point and will decide soon. 

Once again many thanks. 

On 3/23/2017 at 6:31 PM, albertchan659 said:

u might want to check out customer reviews before engaging an ID...

found one for you here:

https://www.hometrust.sg/reviews/3d-innovations-design-pte-ltd

agree that speaking to more IDs and getting to know them goes a long way in helping u make the right choice

Thanks I will look check out the reviews. 

On 3/14/2017 at 3:11 PM, jothm said:

Take it one step at a time, can start with the flooring, hacking of walls etc eg.

1) decide on what tiles to get and their cost, go Hafary, Soon Bee Huat etc

2) decide if any hacking of walls required 

3) kitchen do you want a platform for your cabinets, dimensions for platform, tiling for backsplash?

etc.. etc.. 

Great ideas! 

On 3/14/2017 at 1:19 PM, KFC1189 said:

Please be careful about Sky Creation. A few forum readers such as Michelle Ong have complaints about this particular company. Please check out her detailed review of the ID company at shopmytiki.wordpress.com

I've decided not to consider Sky Creation because they are very expensive. The ID was nice but we feel that they cannot accomodate to our budget.