Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
MaCe

Money $$$ Not $$$ Enough Blog

Buying stuffs (furnishing accessories)

Plan early, buy early. The moment you have decided to buy a flat - or waiting for your BTO to complete.

Start buying strait times on fridays on saturdays and LOOK OUT for warehouse sales.

Throughout the year, there are many warehouse sales by companies who just wants to clear excess stocks/defects items. And many are expensive branded stuffs!:)

There are real good deals like $5 for a water tap or $50 for a designer mixer.

I even got a super single bed FREE from my buddy whose aunt is the distributor for a very expensive mattress brand - the catch - the mattress was damaged during delivery - some scratches. Normally they would just sell it for $400-$600(defect mattress), but bcos it's my buddy - i got it free.

Electrical - buy DISPLAY SETs - fridge, washing machine, vacuum cleaners.

anything except TV.

They are usually priced 30-50% cheaper than a new set bcos of cosmetic damages/scratches. Basically they were as good as new cos they were NOT demo to customers except for TV.

Good deals are hard to come by, shop early!

A square basin from genova warehouse sale - $30 and $50 for the mixer with swivel aerator.

basin.jpg

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

Lightings

Plan as much energy saving bulbs as possible - you wont like it when PUB smiles whenever they send the bill.

cos you will be crying when you see your bills.

Or just do your part as a earthling, energy conservation, green, protect da OZONE!:bangwall:

And buy ONLY philips or osram, the rest are crappy products that burns out/blown within a short period - you end up paying more.

I will be completing soon on my T8 fluorescent tube conversion to T5. left 2 bulbs to go.

Some info + pics comparing T8 and T5.

Will talk about the myth/BS regarding electronic ballast on later post.

T5 tube = 16mm diameter

T8 tube = 1 inch diameter

4 feet T8 tube consumes = 36 watts

4 feet T5 tube consumes = 28 watts + extra savings using a electronic ballast.

2 feet T8 tube consumes = 18 watts

2 feet T5 tube consumes = 14 watts + extra savings using a electronic ballast.

T8 tube = can use magnetic ballast or electronic ballast(saves electricity)

T5 tube = can ONLY use electronic ballast

t5t8c.jpg

t5t8b.jpg

this is the lousy cheapo cheap$ bulb that was blown in less than 6 weeks(24x7)

megaman.jpg

a philips $9 electronic ballast for lighting up to 36 watts

ballast3.jpg

Edited by MaCe

Great info on lightling MaCe.

More info on PLC & it's tube? Can an 18W ft into a 13W PLC casing (assume no blockage by any flab of the circel hole)? Some shop said can.

Thx

this one i am very interested..how much is it and where to get? :sport-smiley-004:

Pledge's parquet dont think it's exp - cant remember though. around $6-9, definitely less than $10.

any NTUC, carrefour, giant has it.

Great info on lightling MaCe.

More info on PLC & it's tube? Can an 18W ft into a 13W PLC casing (assume no blockage by any flab of the circel hole)? Some shop said can.

Thx

PLC also known as Compact fluorescent lamp.(CFL)

the pins are the same - but do bring along your 13w bulb just to make sure.

Dare not tell it 's the same cos I am not using them.

http://www.lighting.philips.com.sg/sg/en/P...tab=application

http://www.lighting.philips.com.sg/apr/con...amily_sg_en.pdf

Edited by MaCe

hihi

thanks maCe and all who shared their wonderful diy cleaning tips...

I've got nothing to contribute except a method i swear by when i mop my parquet and laminated flooring...

I use a normal mop with the right detergent cleaner and mop first and then use a magiclean wipes kind of broom, put baby cloth diaper and then wipe dry immediately... baby cloth diaper are the most absorbent type of cloth i feel... so great for cleaning the house! :dunno:

keep this thread going! heee...

Edited by christinetan

hihi

thanks maCe and all who shared their wonderful diy cleaning tips...

I've got nothing to contribute except a method i swear by when i mop my parquet and laminated flooring...

I use a normal mop with the right detergent cleaner and mop first and then use a magiclean wipes kind of broom, put baby cloth diaper and then wipe dry immediately... baby cloth diaper are the most absorbent type of cloth i feel... so great for cleaning the house! :good:

keep this thread going! heee...

wah...will ask wife to try it out.

me already tried hello88's toothpaste method - now waiting for results.

if getting philips bulb can check out the coming sale

the bulbs are always the first to go coz really worth it :)

if $3.50-$4 per piece then i dont mind the long-Q 8|

now cheapest i can find outside is $5.50 - energy saving bulbs.

MaCe.. can i check if the 3M stainless steel cleaner and polisher can be used even on dishracks ? Abit apprehensive since we'll be putting utensils etc on it..

MaCe.. can i check if the 3M stainless steel cleaner and polisher can be used even on dishracks ? Abit apprehensive since we'll be putting utensils etc on it..

i spray everything that is SS. for the dish rack - i wash it a day later with mild soap.

the idea is to get have a protective layer covering the SS..it's more retarded to stains/dirt. infact 2+ mths liao, all my SS stuffs still looks machiam NEW.

price - $10-$13.00

Advantages of Electronic ballast

1) lamp does not flickers - good for your eyes.

2) instantaneous light, light come on the moment you press the switch.

3) 90+% energy efficiency - meaning 90+% of the electricity is used to power the lamp while less than 10% is used to produce heat. magnetic ballast has only 70& energy efficiency.

4) constant flow of electricity - stable supply to the lamp.

A incandescent bulb uses only 10% of the total electricity while 90% is wasted to produce HEAT.

imagine every 100 watts the bulb consumes - only 10 watts is used for the lighting, while the 90 watts($$$) is flush down the toilet bowl.

Myth of electronic ballast

During the course of learning, I have come across at least 4 electricians TAO CHEW(started out as apprentices), all old birds in the industry and 2 electrical engineers(with diploma and degree) with contruction firms.

Myth 1 : Electronic ballast causes your lamp to spoil VERY FAST http://us.i1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/i/mesg/emoticons7/29.gif

ans by a engineer : then why philips/osram/ge are selling them? lotsa new hi tech bldgs are using them!

Cause of Myth : using china made no name ballast and no name fluorescent tubes. worse still a dimmer switch is installed without a dimmer ballast!

ballast3.jpg

hi mace

i have 2 questions for you.

1) where to buy "kam boon yan" and how to use it? i am terrified of lizards and hope this can help chase

them away.

2) can you give me the contact who fixed up the ventilation fan for you? how much did you pay for just the

installation?

appreciate your information.

thanks

hi mace

i have 2 questions for you.

1) where to buy "kam boon yan" and how to use it? i am terrified of lizards and hope this can help chase

them away.

2) can you give me the contact who fixed up the ventilation fan for you? how much did you pay for just the

installation?

appreciate your information.

thanks

KAM BONG YAN - all incense shop got sell, $2.50 for 50pcs. next just buy a cheapo $1 metal ashtray to hold it when iyou are burning them.

KDK ventilation fans(8 inch, $50+ each) i bought in kelantan road block 30.

check map here;

www.streetdirectory.com

cos HOBEE is my contractor - he charges me $150 for changing the window and free for installation of fan.

free is bcos he is doing up my whole house. if you are getting him to do just the window - i believe he will charge you for the installation and price might be different liao.

You need to fix a light point near the window also - connected to a ON/OFF switch outside the toilet.

around $60-$90.00

toilet2.jpg

KAM BONG YAN - all incense shop got sell, $2.50 for 50pcs. next just buy a cheapo $1 metal ashtray to hold it when iyou are burning them.

thanks for the reply. but.......how do i burn the kam bong yang? burn it like charcoal? meaning put one piece of the kby in the ashtray then light set fire on it? :wub: