Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
leosmk

Data Outlet Without Data Cables?

Hi all,

I have just gotten my keys to my new flat at Riviera Residences. One very puzzling thing is that they have provided me with the data outlet plates, but yet there is no cables provided. They have provided cables for the telephones and SCV, but just not for the data network.

I have written an email to the developers (NTUC Choice Homes), they have replied to me, "The data points provided in your unit does not include the data cables, you will have to get the relevant service provider which you are going to subscribe to draw in the cables for you."

Is this a norm for condos?

Thank you very much!

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation
Hi all,

I have just gotten my keys to my new flat at Riviera Residences. One very puzzling thing is that they have provided me with the data outlet plates, but yet there is no cables provided. They have provided cables for the telephones and SCV, but just not for the data network.

I have written an email to the developers (NTUC Choice Homes), they have replied to me, "The data points provided in your unit does not include the data cables, you will have to get the relevant service provider which you are going to subscribe to draw in the cables for you."

Thank you very much!

No need wiring any more, use wireless router will do.

No need wiring any more, use wireless router will do.

I have several systems that require wired networking and not wireless. Besides, if they planned for us to use wireless, then why provide the data points in the first place?

So back to my original question, is it normal for condo developers to just provide faceplates without any cabling?

In that case, does this mean that they also could have provided electricial sockets without electrical cables? ha ha

When you purchase the condo, I am sure there are spec on what is included in the unit...etc.

First time hear that they don't provide cables inside the data point. Luckily they provide you with electrical cables...oops better don't give this type of developer any more ideas.

If not, next time you have to pay for this and that and what they going to exclude for future project.

When you purchase the condo, I am sure there are spec on what is included in the unit...etc.

First time hear that they don't provide cables inside the data point. Luckily they provide you with electrical cables...oops better don't give this type of developer any more ideas.

If not, next time you have to pay for this and that and what they going to exclude for future project.

In the Electrical Schedule in the S&P agreement, it was mentioned that I would be getting X nos of telephone outlets, Y nos of SCV outlet and Z nos of Data outlet. Since they provided the cables for the telephone and SCV outlets, isn't it natural to provide cables for the Data outlet?

Any suggestions what I can do about this?

Is the developer mean that the main data point outlet(outdoor to your unit) or are they refering to data outlets in each room in your unit.

Best is to clarify from them about what they say regarding getting the revelant data service provider to connect to your unit.

hi, u open the face plates and check if there are cables inside?

i think you should lodge in as a defect since first year is covered, like what u say, electrical points cannot be w/o cables as well.

i guess projects that was designed more than 3yrs ago where wireless is still not common, provides data points in the house.

hi, u open the face plates and check if there are cables inside?

i think you should lodge in as a defect since first year is covered, like what u say, electrical points cannot be w/o cables as well.

i guess projects that was designed more than 3yrs ago where wireless is still not common, provides data points in the house.

There are no cables inside, only string to pull the cables with.

Thanks for the suggestion, however, I had already filed it as a defect, but was told by the developers that it is not a defect as it is not meant to be there in the first place.

Which leads to the next question, do I have any way out in this? Or just be a guai guai flat buyer and keep quiet and pay for my own cabling?

Edited by leosmk

There are no cables inside, only string to pull the cables with.

Thanks for the suggestion, however, I had already filed it as a defect, but was told by the developers that it is not a defect as it is not meant to be there in the first place.

Which leads to the next question, do I have any way out in this? Or just be a guai guai flat buyer and keep quiet and pay for my own cabling?

Hi leosmk, how to check...do i open the cover by force?

Hi leosmk, how to check...do i open the cover by force?

Hi,

You just need to go to the DB cabinet, there should be a box labelled "Data", open the four screws there and check if you have string or cables there.

Regards.

Hi,

You just need to go to the DB cabinet, there should be a box labelled "Data", open the four screws there and check if you have string or cables there.

Regards.

Hi,

Here is the latest reply from the developer over this.

"We would like to further clarify on the provision of the data outlets. The intent of the provision was to enable/facilitate residents to install their IT cables and infrastructure in future, without need for extensive laying of trunking or hacking works. The installation of any IT infrastructure and cables is dependent on the needs of the individual home owners and not every household would require them. In addition, compared to SCV, powerpoint and telephone points, data outlets are not required to be connected to third party service providers which necessitates pre-testing and commissiong to be done before TOP and building handover. In light of this, we have not provided any cables for the data outlets and this is in accordance with our intent and contract specifications."

Does this make sense?

The faceplates on the wall are and should already be connected to the data cables. However, the linkage of all the datapoints in the DB box is not provided for. You will need to get your own network cable to interconnect it within the DB box to interlink all the faceplate pts together.

Hi all,

Thank you very much!

Very interesting. Leosmk, since 2007, how is it now? You choosed coaxial cable i/p(SCV) or RJ45(correct term?).

Original no cables from rooms to faceplate in riser? My previous condo TOP in 2006 came with all the cables with SCV coxial input, so I looked for a reuter with such input.

Edited by bepgof

Very interesting. Leosmk, since 2007, how is it now? You choosed coaxial cable i/p(SCV) or RJ45(correct term?).

Original no cables from rooms to faceplate in riser? My previous condo TOP in 2006 came with all the cables with SCV coxial input, so I looked for a reuter with such input.

Normally, it should be wired to the patch panel. Maybe what you meant was they did not provide the patch cables