Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
Relacker

Bypass $ To The Quality Of Life We All Want?

I think the theory goes like if you cannot achieve the fundamentals, you will never get to the next level.

I think that basically explains 80% of Singaporeans; all stuck at the bottom or 2nd rung (safety/security) where we are slogging for daily bread/butter, mortgage, loans, or worrying if we can get pay-raise because the credit card bill is getting bigger, worrying if we will get retrenched, etc etc so much so that we never go up to the higher level.

Its only when you can secure your basic needs, no fear that you will ever lose it, then you can move on to the next level. Thus you see alot of inconsiderate people, few of us really care anything about politics (social), no need to even mention get involved ourselves (autonomy) to achieve self-actualisation.

To know you stand on the hierachy, just ask yourself what is the most important thing to you RIGHT NOW: Earn more money? Job security? Family needs? Financial freedom? Or fair politics? Democracy? Global warming?

Hehe...I can go on and on about this, but abit off-topic plus sensitive also. All I can say is that our elite government is very good at playing the game of Maslow's hierachy of needs when securing their votes...

totally agree with what zirhk3355 says

the most important thing to a person in life will indicate which level the person is at :good:

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation
totally agree with what zirhk3355 says

the most important thing to a person in life will indicate which level the person is at :)

Yes, and sad to say, as a result of our society, I think alot of Singaporeans are still at the bottom rungs of the hierachy...sighz...

Cannot even feed myself liao, where got time to think about politics, democracy, global warming?? :good:

actually i find that most singaporeans should already fulfilled basic, safety and social needs liao

dun really know anyone who have NO MONEY to eat, more of can't afford fine dining :good:

also dun know anyone who has no tv at home coz no money to buy, more of plasma or LCD :)

guess most of us are too caught up in the rat race to stop and think

if the pursuit of material wants is really what we want :P :P :)

actually i find that most singaporeans should already fulfilled basic, safety and social needs liao

dun really know anyone who have NO MONEY to eat, more of can't afford fine dining :lol:

also dun know anyone who has no tv at home coz no money to buy, more of plasma or LCD :wub:

guess most of us are too caught up in the rat race to stop and think

if the pursuit of material wants is really what we want :wub:8|:dunno:

this is such an interesting thread!

applefreak, you are so spot on with your "analysis"! :lol:

can't remember who said this before: why waste time and money buying things you don't need with the money you don't have to impress people who don't care? :lol:

my take is just be contented with what you have = happiness. :)

so is there anyway to 'bypass' $ , straight to the quality of life we all yearn for?

Firstly.. I qualify my statements that I am not a role model.. as I do long to sleep on a bed of cash...

Now.. I dream to live in a hotel-like environment.. where everything is functional and clutterfree. So whenever i go shopping, i see many stuff, but I ask myself.. does it fit in with "my hotel environment"? Most of the time.. is no.

After a few such shopping review sessions, I have achieved enlightenment. I have few desires now, except for the aroma of a cash-stuffed bed.

But I do believe.. in spending to gather memories.. such as going on holidays.

Yes, and sad to say, as a result of our society, I think alot of Singaporeans are still at the bottom rungs of the hierachy...sighz...

Cannot even feed myself liao, where got time to think about politics, democracy, global warming?? :)

If we can apply the 80-20 rules, then 80% of the people are running on the rat race in life to make a living. Meeting the first 3 level of Maslows while aiming at the next 2. While the remaining 20% is out of the competition, reaches 4,5 can have the time for lifestye then got spare time to think about politics, democracy, global warming..

Make senses?

this is such an interesting thread!

applefreak, you are so spot on with your "analysis"! :bangwall:

can't remember who said this before: why waste time and money buying things you don't need with the money you don't have to impress people who don't care? :)

my take is just be contented with what you have = happiness. :)

Congulate you meet the first 3 level and you are contented with it. Not going any further to persue for the autonomy and self - actualisation. Be content and be happy. 人知足, 心长满。

If we can apply the 80-20 rules, then 80% of the people are running on the rat race in life to make a living. Meeting the first 3 level of Maslows while aiming at the next 2. While the remaining 20% is out of the competition, reaches 4,5 can have the time for lifestye then got spare time to think about politics, democracy, global warming..

Make senses?

Well if that is true then maybe its not so bad. But I am not too sure; I said 80% as a general guideline, but from my circle of friends, colleagues, clients, taxi drivers, etc, those whom I spoke to, all seemed to be very apolitical and have a couldn't-care-less attitude about the level 4 and 5. BTW that includes me as well, although at times I would think about politics and society, but that's definitely not my priority now.

Just ask yourself lor, or of those around you, how many are actually actively pursuing a 'higher life' beyond the basic job security and family needs? Do you/they really care that using more plastic bags would harm the society, or convenience more important? Do you/they take any effort to recycle products, do volunteer work, use more public transport instead of car to reduce petrol consumption and global warming?

In terms of politics, I think its even more apparent and a classic outlook of the hierachy of needs' level for most Singaporeans; though everyone does not really like some of stuff that our govt is doing (fare increases, influx of foreigners, etc), how many of us are actively trying to change it? Or we steer clear of the choppy waters, remain on safe grounds, fearing for our job, fearing for our family, fearing that our HDB application would be rejected because we are involved in opposition works or something?

Congulate you meet the first 3 level and you are contented with it. Not going any further to persue for the autonomy and self - actualisation. Be content and be happy. 人知足, 心长满。

Actually hor, just by being truly contented and happy with what you have now is already attaining higher levels, ie you no longer fear that you will lose your job and affect your family. You then start to care for the society, be proud of who/what you are. It does not mean that you must drive big cars and live in landed property to be considered self-actualisation.

In fact, the desire for material needs signify that one is still at basic level (of which I am always guilty!) and that one had not gotten past the bottom levels yet.

Edited by zirhk3355

Well if that is true then maybe its not so bad. But I am not too sure; I said 80% as a general guideline, but from my circle of friends, colleagues, clients, taxi drivers, etc, those whom I spoke to, all seemed to be very apolitical and have a couldn't-care-less attitude about the level 4 and 5. BTW that includes me as well, although at times I would think about politics and society, but that's definitely not my priority now.

Just ask yourself lor, or of those around you, how many are actually actively pursuing a 'higher life' beyond the basic job security and family needs? Do you/they really care that using more plastic bags would harm the society, or convenience more important? Do you/they take any effort to recycle products, do volunteer work, use more public transport instead of car to reduce petrol consumption and global warming?

In terms of politics, I think its even more apparent and a classic outlook of the hierachy of needs' level for most Singaporeans; though everyone does not really like some of stuff that our govt is doing (fare increases, influx of foreigners, etc), how many of us are actively trying to change it? Or we steer clear of the choppy waters, remain on safe grounds, fearing for our job, fearing for our family, fearing that our HDB application would be rejected because we are involved in opposition works or something?

Quite true in this case.most of the people(80%) are making a living a living hard enough to get float and not drown by the increase in the living standard. Only the ones(maybe 20%) can afford to spend time to do the 4th and 5th level stuff without worrying for the first 3 hygience level.

Come to think of it, most of use are actually being top down driven by rules and regulationbe, it personal home,work, society. While the minority ones (20%) do have a greater say as they had gained sufficient points in the maslow level 4,5. Thus they can bottom up straight to the decision maker through their influence .

So how to make the 80% minority happy? just stay foot be content, don't mess around the next level unless you are ready... Just my thoughs

Edited by TPY

Actually hor, just by being truly contented and happy with what you have now is already attaining higher levels, ie you no longer fear that you will lose your job and affect your family. You then start to care for the society, be proud of who/what you are. It does not mean that you must drive big cars and live in landed property to be considered self-actualisation.

In fact, the desire for material needs signify that one is still at basic level (of which I am always guilty!) and that one had not gotten past the bottom levels yet.

There is no ending in persuing the fudenmental level 1. Today you had a million tommorow you want to have a billion" Have you ever heard of the hokkien song "欢喜就好“ (Just be happy and contented), it is a funny and intersting song.

I agree, as long we need not worry about the first 3 level, then no worry that means we are a step towards personal happiness. By going over the next level, we are expanding our scope of responsibilities. So I am a little hesitating in signing up as a glassroot membership although they do have some previllages for it.

Edited by TPY

i couldn't resist but to add my observations

if we go according to maslow's, think most if not all forummers here are already at the social level, attaining the first two and hovering around the third

one can only seek the next level needs when this level is fulfillied

i.e. safety needs met by having roof over head, thus the need to seek friends and societal acceptance

incidentally, societal acceptance are commonly displayed as the 'joneses symptom'

i.e. my neighbour/friend/cousin/uncle just got the lcd tv, i must get a similar or bigger sized one etc

Hi,

so is there anyway to 'bypass' $ , straight to the quality oif life we all yearn for?

Not trying to be funny but that is a facts of life."Money can turn the world around". No way to by-pass! Follow the maslow's theory . To by pass, either you are bless person with luck strike to to everyday( 天命), born with silver spoon(地运) or earn hard for it (人为.

WIth monies $$, we can forget about the safety factor of losing a job, maintaining your health in a tip top condition with the most advance medical. Of course less conflicts in social as finacial manage the life expenses and expection of the neighbourhood and family. with monies, you can buy a land be a lord of your dream island. That full filed my self-actualisation. Look at Bill , he is exercising it.

But we're not talking about life and death, so priority #1 shouldn't be $$$. What I mean is we're not asking the question of "bread or love". I'm assuming that we all have our basic needs, food, clothing, shelter but continues to work for $$$ to satisfy our wants to gain the quality of life impressed upon us by the society through the media day by day... seriously, when it boils down to the deathbed, no amt of cash in your bank will give you any kind of comfort, and you just want to be with the ones you loved. And if you have none, because you've spent your life building up financial treasures instead of giving a significant part of your time to the people you love, then you'll lie there wishing you can buy love with the money you have. But of course, it can't be done and it's too late...

:good: sound a bit drama :good: really watch too many movies :unsure:

Act. when i'm at deathbed, I don't want $$. But getting there, I do want $$$ :drunk:

you guz really make me chio ka benk with your comments .... :P:):)

... and also vy enlightened by all the views

actually hor, human are vy greedy animals leh.. tot @ 1st want $, den got $, want hse, den got hse, want wife, got wife, den want car... never ending story... :rofl: we are trap by our needs, jail by our own desires :jail:

maslow heirachy never say once you go up the hierachy, you dun come down, it can be a mixture at the same time, eg. you may want to be honored or respected by ppl of your status and at the same time want more $$, bigger hse, more sport cars etc... 8|

and does anyone really know and i mean truly understand and had ever been or now feeling contented? meaning, you think to yourself now, your life though is not perfect or complete, but with whatever you hv nw, you are contented already and dun want any more thing else... even $$ :)

hard rite :) got like long biak feeling rite... hw can be contented with the amt of $ onhand nw?

many ppl always think "i will be contented once i hv these things" but when they gotten the desired items, they will aim for more.

i like to take quiet moments to go to the park by myself, find a place to sit down and admire the greenaries there, appreciate the quietness, the green leaves, the flowers, the chipping of birds and insects, the smell of fresh air, read a book or draw, i will feel vy contented and happy and for the rest of the days, the feeling of buying things or aiming for other needs will kinda take a rest for that day. :)

Edited by leen

maslow heirachy never say once you go up the hierachy, you dun come down, it can be a mixture at the same time, eg. you may want to be honored or respected by ppl of your status and at the same time want more $$, bigger hse, more sport cars etc... :)

and does anyone really know and i mean truly understand and had ever been or now feeling contented? meaning, you think to yourself now, your life though is not perfect or complete, but with whatever you hv nw, you are contented already and dun want any more thing else... even $$ :)

totally agree with what you said

guess no one can actually say what is enough

the best i can do is opt out of the rat race and stay on the sideline

of course more money will make me happier, but giving up what i treasure for money is a big :P:) for me :)