Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
Elemental

How To Get The Best Deal For Jewellery?

I can also see that you really know your rocks.. lol.. not many people really show that kinda keen interest i've realized. Does DeFred also customize necklaces? I'm just thinking about whether my missus would want to get a nice necklace for the wedding.

Yes, I study my stones in great details. My DH is also very good in his diamond knowledge. The day he proposed to me, he proposed to me with a GIA cert, and till today, it's still a family joke. He knew that I would ask to see the cert, and so came prepared and presented it to me first! LOL.

I am very particular. I choose different grades of diamonds for different purposes. We can't always have the best C's in our choices. So we need to know which C's we can compromise and which C's we die die must have. Most people will say the bigger the Carat, the better. I am not like that. I cannot compromise the Cut. This is what gives a diamond its sparkle / fire.

And for example, diamonds for earrings and necklaces, I always recommend friends to go for lower grade colour ... no need for D. F or G will do. Rationale ~ the wearer cannot admire and see! Whereas, for a ring on the lady's fingers, need to go for D or E.

Yes, DeFred customises just about anything. Are you familiar with Van Cleef? Their renowned butterfly ring is in the S$30K price range. DeFred customises it, and it's in the S$8K range. How's that for real bargain. The likes of Tiffany & Van Cleef charge a premium for their brand equity.

PS: you said you made a bad move in your career. You switched over to UBS or Citi? No bonus, right?! These *%^$%$ banks. So messed up.

Edited by Chunky Monkey

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation
Yes, I study my stones in great details. My DH is also very good in his diamond knowledge. The day he proposed to me, he proposed to me with a GIA cert, and till today, it's still a family joke. He knew that I would ask to see the cert, and so came prepared and presented it to me first! LOL.

I am very particular. I choose different grades of diamonds for different purposes. We can't always have the best C's in our choices. So we need to know which C's we can compromise and which C's we die die must have. Most people will say the bigger the Carat, the better. I am not like that. I cannot compromise the Cut. This is what gives a diamond its sparkle / fire.

And for example, diamonds for earrings and necklaces, I always recommend friends to go for lower grade colour ... no need for D. F or G will do. Rationale ~ the wearer cannot admire and see! Whereas, for a ring on the lady's fingers, need to go for D or E.

Yes, DeFred customises just about anything. Are you familiar with Van Cleef? Their renowned butterfly ring is in the S$30K price range. DeFred customises it, and it's in the S$8K range. How's that for real bargain. The likes of Tiffany & Van Cleef charge a premium for their brand equity.

PS: you said you made a bad move in your career. You switched over to UBS or Citi? No bonus, right?! These *%^$%$ banks. So messed up.

Now that you put it... maybe the bad move doesn't sound so bad.. ha ha.. i left Citi. declined UBS. Ended up somewhere that i shouldn't have picked. ha ha ha.. Citi would still have been better even with the whole sub prime BS. lol..

Your Hubby very cute. Proposed with a cert. Thats really a first! :P

My missus would have killed me if i did that... heh heh

I agree with you absolutely on the compromising on what doesn't really matter. Same wavelength! :dribble:

Talking about Van Cleef, I just walked past yesterday.. and the price is really. CRAZY! Talk about brand equity and the manager at Tiffany tried to get me to get their diamonds.. lol.. i know the manager there but its 20k for a 1caret.. !!

Wow... 8k is really a steal if you're comparing the the butterfly ring...

Talking about compromising... what do you think about clarity.. I feel that its not as necessary to get a vvs1 / vvs2 even for earings/necklaces don't you think?

Edited by Phantom

The job market in FS would be tight next year, so hang in there until the sun comes out!

As to your question of clarity ~ if the cut is good, I would even go to VS1. The naked eye can't see these impurities. That said, there is still a condition. If the blemish is not on the crown but the underside, it'll be real fine.

Now that you put it... maybe the bad move doesn't sound so bad.. ha ha.. i left Citi. declined UBS. Ended up somewhere that i shouldn't have picked. ha ha ha.. Citi would still have been better even with the whole sub prime BS. lol..

Your Hubby very cute. Proposed with a cert. Thats really a first! 8|

My missus would have killed me if i did that... heh heh

I agree with you absolutely on the compromising on what doesn't really matter. Same wavelength! 8|

Talking about Van Cleef, I just walked past yesterday.. and the price is really. CRAZY! Talk about brand equity and the manager at Tiffany tried to get me to get their diamonds.. lol.. i know the manager there but its 20k for a 1caret.. :dunno:

Wow... 8k is really a steal if you're comparing the the butterfly ring...

Talking about compromising... what do you think about clarity.. I feel that its not as necessary to get a vvs1 / vvs2 even for earings/necklaces don't you think?

The job market in FS would be tight next year, so hang in there until the sun comes out!

As to your question of clarity ~ if the cut is good, I would even go to VS1. The naked eye can't see these impurities. That said, there is still a condition. If the blemish is not on the crown but the underside, it'll be real fine.

I do think so, might even wanna hang on all the way till after 2008. No choice due to some obligations. But yes, need to hang in until the sun comes out..

Just as I have thought. I was wondering for earings and necklaces, how far would you go to sacrifice the clarity as long as its not on the crown as mentioned and its a combination of small carets i.e. 10/20 pointers.. would all the way vs2 or even is range?

as we have discussed, as long as cuttings are excellent / very good, and a DEF colour range, the nake eye would still shining, don't you agree?

For 10 ~ 20 pointers, I would try to stay with VS1 if I can help it. But if there's a real price breaker, assuming that I am buying up a whole parcel of 10 and 20 pointers to make a choker, I may even consider VS2. But yes, so long as the colour is DEF, it would still knock the eyes out of the onlooker.

Wow I just decided to stop checking Renotalk for a short while to do some work and you guys talk so much already! :dunno:

Please keep the conversation going! Very valuable tips... *frantically takes down notes*

Wow Phantom, Mrs Phantom is very lucky to have you! First time I've met anyone who's planning and researching (willingly and eagerly) to get his wife the best diamond! Most men just see diamonds as a waste of money...

I am not sure if you're aware, many ladies in the US would even choose SI stones, so that they can get a stone with bigger caratage for their budget. But what they would try not to compromise is the Cut.

I think in Asia, women are more hung up about the clarity.

For 10 ~ 20 pointers, I would try to stay with VS1 if I can help it. But if there's a real price breaker, assuming that I am buying up a whole parcel of 10 and 20 pointers to make a choker, I may even consider VS2. But yes, so long as the colour is DEF, it would still knock the eyes out of the onlooker.

Thats valuable insight. Thanks very much. Its really refreshing to speak to another person who have such a keen interest in these little shiny rocks.. lol..

Isn't it the purpose? lol.. to knock the eyes out of the onlookers? heh heh heh.. i tell my wife hardly ppl who say wow... is that a larry's? or.. is that Brilliant Rose? lol..

i think Sillyporean mentality first is Caret Size.. then everything else.. its quite unfortunate.. friend got a 70pointer g colour vs2 and to her.. its really the size that counts.. lol..

Wow I just decided to stop checking Renotalk for a short while to do some work and you guys talk so much already! :dancingqueen:

Please keep the conversation going! Very valuable tips... *frantically takes down notes*

Wow Phantom, Mrs Phantom is very lucky to have you! First time I've met anyone who's planning and researching (willingly and eagerly) to get his wife the best diamond! Most men just see diamonds as a waste of money...

lol,, don't say that, which bride don't want to have the best for their wedding? i'm just want to be in the loop of things especially since I bought the diamond which was very good one but the price i paid wasn't. lol.. i would say that I paid 30% more than i should have.

In future, i just want to make sure that we get a decent deal because money not easy to earn, also want to get a better value for it, no need to be the best value... lol.. better can already...

buying diamonds is like men wanna spend few thousand on hifi system.. lol.. different folks different strokes.. like my friend .. every year will go Larrys to buy something for the wife for their wedding anniversary..

if can afford, why not, if not then budget lor.

I am not sure if you're aware, many ladies in the US would even choose SI stones, so that they can get a stone with bigger caratage for their budget. But what they would try not to compromise is the Cut.

I think in Asia, women are more hung up about the clarity.

I wasn't aware that many ladies in the states put carats in highest priority, i thought this type of Kiasu-ism would be limit to Singaporeans. LOL

You're most welcome, Phantom. I like talking about them. LOL!

You're right! It so does not matter if it's from Larry or a branded diamond from a local store. What matters most is from *the husband*! It's true. When a diamond is self bought, women say it's independence. When it's a gift from the husband, they smile from ear to ear. The satisfaction is priceless!

G colour is too yellow. It may still pass with yellow gold setting. But these days, women like white gold or platinum, so G is too poor.

Thats valuable insight. Thanks very much. Its really refreshing to speak to another person who have such a keen interest in these little shiny rocks.. lol..

Isn't it the purpose? lol.. to knock the eyes out of the onlookers? heh heh heh.. i tell my wife hardly ppl who say wow... is that a larry's? or.. is that Brilliant Rose? lol..

i think Sillyporean mentality first is Caret Size.. then everything else.. its quite unfortunate.. friend got a 70pointer g colour vs2 and to her.. its really the size that counts.. lol..

I wasn't aware that many ladies in the states put carats in highest priority, i thought this type of Kiasu-ism would be limit to Singaporeans. LOL

Cut is top priority. Next comes Carat, then Colour followed by Clarity.

For me, it's Cut, Colour, Clarity, Carat. If I have to compromise too much for Carat, I would rather not buy and then save up for a bigger stone.

What are the specs of the diamond you bought your wifey?

Edited by Chunky Monkey

You're most welcome, Phantom. I like talking about them. LOL!

You're right! It so does not matter if it's from Larry or a branded diamond from a local store. What matters most is from *the husband*! It's true. When a diamond is self bought, women say it's independence. When it's a gift from the husband, they smile from ear to ear. The satisfaction is priceless!

G colour is too yellow. It may still pass with yellow gold setting. But these days, women like white gold or platinum, so G is too poor.

Cut is top priority. Next comes Carat, then Colour followed by Clarity.

For me, it's Cut, Colour, Clarity, Carat. If I have to compromise too much for Carat, I would rather not buy and then save up for a bigger stone.

What are the specs of the diamond you bought your wifey?

WAHAHAHA.. You are right lor, the satisfaction is really priceless. Its also nice to be able to tell friends if they ask that its the hubby that buy one.. isn't that right? lol

A jeweller once told me that if really pressed for budget, and really want to get a colour that is lower than DEF, try to get a diamond that has strong flourescence, he said that it will be able to "lighten" the tone somewhat. But then he say if its a solitaire try not to get a colour too poor..

If i don't remember wrongly

Carat: 50 pointer

Colour: E

Clarity: VVS1

Cutting/Symmetry: Excellent / Very Good (or Excellent / Excellent) lol.. must go back dig up the GIA cert.

Cutlet : Pointed (i think)

Flourescence: None

That's a very nice stone you have got Mrs Phantom.

There's a small typo. It's culet, and yes it should say "pointed" to mean no culet.

I personally prefer a stone with no fluorescence.

Thanks.

What was i thinking? lol.. yes the "kewlet" was wrong spelling.. i think i was hungry.

same here. no fluorescence. =)

oh well, impt thing is she likes it.. lol... did a tiffany type of setting... coz i can't afford the "real" thing. lol..

For jewellery I always prefer online store Mirraw. I personally purchase 2 necklaces for my sister. They are best and offers best discount on jewellery.