Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
jmania

What To Get From Bkk

Hey Sarah, I think it's ok. My renovations have just started too. I think you would sort of know what you need and want already. Think about what you want before you head there.. that's waht i did. Saves time too, esp if you are fickle minded. hehe. :dancingqueen: Really alot of things to buy.. almost bought a shower head cos its only 20sgd. lol. :dancingqueen: I think crockerys can check in.. make sure there's a huge FRAGILE sign. !!

Are you refering to color beads curtains, or lights? not sure if i get it right, but it does sound like something u can get at chatuchak, or one of the mkts there definitely.

For bathtub -- You refering to something like at SBH showroom at Toh Guan. I saw something like that there. Heard from a plumbing pro that it's possible, only downside i can think of is the amount of cleaning that comes with mosaic, and mosaic dont seems to "age" well.

Hmm.. guess i have to be more diligent about cleaning :dancingqueen:

Phoenix, I stayed Eastin Spa Hotel and paid thb5000 for 2 nights. Its at Pratunam area, a little inconvenient by public transport. The hotel is new though, gd value for $ I thought.

Hey Bebebe

Well, while i hv a rough idea what i want but i os got a pair of very straying eyes lor! !! I surely will send up buying this and tat! Esp when u compare the price it is so dirt cheap dun buy like :dancingqueen: leh

Care to share yr shopping spots there? I only know MBK, Chatuchak area leh.

I ref to color beads lamps, table lamps. Veri nice one leh! Saw from a fren's fren place. I am not sure if I wld wan to check in the plates plates and stuffs, sometime paste Fragile liao oso no use one leh. Carry it on my own oso jialat one lor!!

Where is this SBH showroom? I can do w/o a bath tub one, but my husband like die die oso must hv type. sigh.... waste water leh!! Eh bebebe, so yr shopping spree ended liao ha? Hv u bought yr furnishing? Sofa? Bed frame? TV? Dining table?? Did u start a reno blog?

Phoenix, I always stayed at Novotel Siam Sq, veri convi!! There's a train station bhind the hotel and it is very near to MBK and i tink it is abt 6-8 train stations away from Chatuchak leh.

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

Hey Bebebe

Well, while i hv a rough idea what i want but i os got a pair of very straying eyes lor! 8| I surely will send up buying this and tat! Esp when u compare the price it is so dirt cheap dun buy like :( leh

Care to share yr shopping spots there? I only know MBK, Chatuchak area leh.

I ref to color beads lamps, table lamps. Veri nice one leh! Saw from a fren's fren place. I am not sure if I wld wan to check in the plates plates and stuffs, sometime paste Fragile liao oso no use one leh. Carry it on my own oso jialat one lor!!

Where is this SBH showroom? I can do w/o a bath tub one, but my husband like die die oso must hv type. sigh.... waste water leh!! Eh bebebe, so yr shopping spree ended liao ha? Hv u bought yr furnishing? Sofa? Bed frame? TV? Dining table?? Did u start a reno blog?

Phoenix, I always stayed at Novotel Siam Sq, veri convi!! There's a train station bhind the hotel and it is very near to MBK and i tink it is abt 6-8 train stations away from Chatuchak leh.

Phoenix, unfortunately, Eastin has no train station. It was a very big down for me too, but i cannot resist the price. :notti: We took cab to chatuchak from hotel and cost the same as train, so not that bad afterall. You might want to check out Siam Design -- looks quite nice from internet. Or natural ville @ langsuan. I stayed there before. its 5-10min walk to central world/ploenchit station. But i agree with the rest.....novetel siam sq is the best on overall basis!!!!

Sarah, I totally understand. For me, my budget quite tight, and i'm quite loose with $$, so went with very specific things in mind, otherwise sure got nuts!!! I think the beads lamp should be able to find la. There's really alot of things to see. Only other place is Suan Lum market lor. I think Siam discovery centre also can find, and sukhuvmit area. I didnt have time to go. What sort of theme you are going for? If its woody/zen theme... then u better guard your wallet. :D

Hehe, luckily (or mayb unluckily), I didnt have that much stuff to buy. Using back alot of my existing stuff. I have a reno blog, sorry cannt paste link here, cos not figured how to do it yet. :P SBH showroom is at Toh Guan East Road, v close to IMM. haah, bathtub is quite a nice thing to have la, but think not cheap to construct one also, esp mosaic not cheap. How about those baroque looking ones, with legs ones? v nice leh.

So when u going bkk? I read on this forum china also cheap furniture leh. :notti: heheh.

Hi Sarah

I didn't buy the crystal lights. Saw them in MBK. I didn't go Chatuchak, raining cats & dogs, also after shopping in MBK, no more luggage space. I like to shop in MBK, got food and relax for a short massage.

Phoenix,

I stayed in Pathuwam Princess, so jus shop>run and dropped off> go shop again. SHIOK :curse::bangwall: But quite ex, next time i will try out Eastin Spa...

Novotel Siam Square is convenient esp if u plan to travel about. I prefer to take their MRT or train svc than taxis, esp weekends, the traffic is terrible. If u dare take the tutu, its faster than taxi cause they can go thru small lanes, but if u r going with jus girlfriend, don't take risk.

:yamseng:

Hi Sarah

I didn't buy the crystal lights. Saw them in MBK. I didn't go Chatuchak, raining cats & dogs, also after shopping in MBK, no more luggage space. I like to shop in MBK, got food and relax for a short massage.

Phoenix,

I stayed in Pathuwam Princess, so jus shop>run and dropped off> go shop again. SHIOK :dribble::yamseng: But quite ex, next time i will try out Eastin Spa...

Novotel Siam Square is convenient esp if u plan to travel about. I prefer to take their MRT or train svc than taxis, esp weekends, the traffic is terrible. If u dare take the tutu, its faster than taxi cause they can go thru small lanes, but if u r going with jus girlfriend, don't take risk.

:dribble:

My tutu experience, always bring you to places you don't want to go. We wanted to go MBK, took us to 3 or 4 other location (the usual jewelry place, tailor, etc..) before finally bring us to MBK. Super cheap though. My prefer mode of transport is taxi. :D

hi!

thanks for all the reviews. :unsure: i think this wkend i'd go down to hong thai to check out what they have. my gf told me hong thai like got best deal.

last time i went Bkk was 6 yrs ago! heard alot has changed, so wanna go see see look look.

yeah, its true that when u take the tutu, they'd wanna bring u to these 'additional' places, but u can say u dun wan right? but if have time, no harm go and look lor. hehe.. i think we did that too the last time we went donkey yrs ago.

i DO enjoy sitting the tutu though... its something authentic and not found in sg. but now my ah lao like not keen to sit tutu liao, he say dangerous, say our life worth 'more' now :sport-smiley-004: haha... he said my excitment causes the driver to drive even faster. haha... coz the last time i was going wiiiiwwwweeee......and laughing like i was having a great time! and the driver sped it up somemore. :yamseng: the last time my ah lao was holding onto me, so scared i 'fly' out. :unsure:

sarah c,

if say i stay in novotel, 6-8 train stations away from Chatuchak right? how long is the journey? 15 mins or so or longer? where is the train station at Chatuchak? is it right in front of it?

Edited by phoenix

Yeah...BKK have change, but the food and shopping still as good, if not better!:yamseng: Yum yum...kinda miss the food liao...

Tutu sit one time for experience can liao, don't think I will let my wife and kids sit on it, my wife probably freak out. :P

If I am not wrong the station is right at Chatuchak, but there are quite a few exits. For me, taxi is the way...heehee...

if say i stay in novotel, 6-8 train stations away from Chatuchak right? how long is the journey? 15 mins or so or longer? where is the train station at Chatuchak? is it right in front of it?

We stayed at Novotel. Nearest BTS station (or skytrain) is Siam. BTS station at Chatuchak is Mo Chit, takes abt 8-10mins from Siam Station.

If u take the MRT (the stations are underground), the MRT station at Chatuchak market is Chatuchak, but there is no MRT station near Novotel.

BTS/MRT Map

The Red line is the MRT. The Blue line (dark and light blue) is the BTS.

Has anyone bought furniture back from BKK?

My friends say they have very nice ones there. Cheap!! Very tempted to go and buy but dont know how to ship back and the price if still cheap after shipping cost

hi tym,

thanks for the map!

by the way, any of you guys have recommendation for the following? i could really use some help :bangwall:

-good couple spa

-gd hair salon

-gd places to makan

-anywhere else great to shop besides Chatuchak?

me went to BKK right after our reno and got ourselves really bargin stuffs:

like bedsheets, cermenic soap dispensers (i regret not getting more since its supposed to be designer stuff in spore), candles, tatami cushions, nice lights @ Chatuchak. there are lots of nice furniture there too!

designer clock at 75+ bucks cheaper compared to spore @ funky glasses from luna craft in discovery centre

some photos here: http://diva79.wordpress.com/2007/03/05/loots-from-bkk/

becoz me too tiny and hb was the only person taking all the heavy stuffs that is why we couldn't buy more den we hoped for. :(

but hor, aside from the furnishing stuffs, bags, clothes, shoes, accessories are very very dirt cheap too! :P

where you get your clock.. very nice..

want to go there search during my trip in june..

I saw the clock when I was in BKK, you can get them from Suan Lum night bazzar, it cost about $1200 thai, but dun know whether it will be closed by then as they are being chased out by the govt.

You can also check out chatuchak, they might have it there too if you are lucky because that place is huge and very HOT. You got to have some patient to search..There are lots of cheap and good stuffs to buy, that is if you can lugged them all back :dancingqueen:

hey guys if u're in BKK and wish to buy stuffs, but cant bring it back can head down to Pratunam go to this courier service called TAC just at the main road from Baiyok Tower 2.

but can be quite expensive, maybe around $10/kg. but by air.

If shipping, do we need to buy GST?

BKK's wood furniture is indeed well made.

I think Indonesian or Thai carpenters are very skillful