Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
jmania

What To Get From Bkk

during my recent trip bkk, i saw some lights shop @ sukhumvit area...with very nice lightings!! din get the chance to step in and do a price check though.

does anyone noe if lights are cheaper in bkk, than in SG?

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

Just got back from bkk over the weekend. Checked out Suan Lum market, Chatuchak and MBK for lightings and furnitures. Some thoughts...

Suan Lum has some interesting furniture shops -- those carrying designers' copy, and also local designer. Some fun ones were one which carries retro furniture (from tv stand to radio etc), one which carries girly country style accessories, like mirrors, photo frames etc, and another which does everything in acrylic. They have everything in acrylic, including chairs, wall mount cd rack, coffee table (similiar to Kartell's), magazine rack etc. For designers' copy, the asking for egg chair was approx 1500sgd. Suan Lum seems to have better quality stuff in general, wider range of shops, but at higher price. The place to go if you are into non-zen/woody theme.

Chatuchak. This is the place to go if you are after the zen woody theme. Not able to comment about the price, as I didnt enquire about any. Some shops which caught my eye -- one which carries leather wrapped (Hermes style, i think) boxes, tissue boxes, trays etc (its not exactly cheap though). one which carries unpainted, country style boxes, trays, magazine stand, jewellery drawers, and two lighting shops which sells crystal chandeliers. Things are cheaper at chatuchak, but be prepared to brave the heat!

MBK. They have devoted the entire 5th floor to home furnishing. There are a few shops which carries modern furniture. Price wise -- Saw a bedroom set (king size bedframe, bedside table and 7ft wardrobe) going for 30,000+ thb. Not sure whether its considered expensive. There's also a shop called Index which is worth checking out. It reminds me of Ikea, with seemingly better quality stuff. Prices are definitely higher, but you get aircon!! !!

Here's some pics and prices..

img0782yo6.jpg

for 2200thb

img0780kn5.jpg

for 3500thb

img0781eg4.jpg

asking @ 6900thb

img0797pm4.jpg

150thb

Just got back from bkk over the weekend. Checked out Suan Lum market, Chatuchak and MBK for lightings and furnitures. Some thoughts...

Suan Lum has some interesting furniture shops -- those carrying designers' copy, and also local designer. Some fun ones were one which carries retro furniture (from tv stand to radio etc), one which carries girly country style accessories, like mirrors, photo frames etc, and another which does everything in acrylic. They have everything in acrylic, including chairs, wall mount cd rack, coffee table (similiar to Kartell's), magazine rack etc. For designers' copy, the asking for egg chair was approx 1500sgd. Suan Lum seems to have better quality stuff in general, wider range of shops, but at higher price. The place to go if you are into non-zen/woody theme.

Chatuchak. This is the place to go if you are after the zen woody theme. Not able to comment about the price, as I didnt enquire about any. Some shops which caught my eye -- one which carries leather wrapped (Hermes style, i think) boxes, tissue boxes, trays etc (its not exactly cheap though). one which carries unpainted, country style boxes, trays, magazine stand, jewellery drawers, and two lighting shops which sells crystal chandeliers. Things are cheaper at chatuchak, but be prepared to brave the heat!

MBK. They have devoted the entire 5th floor to home furnishing. There are a few shops which carries modern furniture. Price wise -- Saw a bedroom set (king size bedframe, bedside table and 7ft wardrobe) going for 30,000+ thb. Not sure whether its considered expensive. There's also a shop called Index which is worth checking out. It reminds me of Ikea, with seemingly better quality stuff. Prices are definitely higher, but you get aircon!! !!

Suan Lum is closing down at end of Apr.

Suan Lum is closing down at end of Apr.

No Kidding!:sport-smiley-018: Was gng to go there in May leh... Any idea where the shops be relocated to ma?

hey bebebe....i like the lamp u bought, the one w clear crystal. Where did u get it from?

looks like must quick hand quick leg go grab things there liao lor. Maybe shld go end tis mth then since TYM said Suan Lum is closing leh.

No Kidding!:sport-smiley-018: Was gng to go there in May leh... Any idea where the shops be relocated to ma?

hey bebebe....i like the lamp u bought, the one w clear crystal. Where did u get it from?

looks like must quick hand quick leg go grab things there liao lor. Maybe shld go end tis mth then since TYM said Suan Lum is closing leh.

Ya, just back from BKK and was told by a guide that the place is closing down end of this month. Did not ask where the shops are moving to thou.

Edited by TYM

Hey Sarah, yeah, you better head there soon!! I bought the lamp from Chatuchak. The shop is at Section 23, along the main path and very near to Section 24.

Hi

Oh yeah>>> BKK, especially MBK is a great place to shop. I bought lots of beddings and deco pieces there. Didn't hv time to go Chatuchak, also weather not gd, lots of rain when i was there 2 weeks ago. The crystals lightings are beautiful and at 100 to 300 SGD are gd prices. But, how to keep them clean?

For my new place, I avoid using any dangling crystals lightings. My previous rented place, there were 2 of them and they have kinda turn greyish because of dust, one of them even hv cobweb after 1 yr. It was sparkling clean when i moved in.

Now dat i hv a little one and really don't hv time to do extra cleaning. !!

!!

Hey TYM

Thanks for reinforcing the desire in me to go to BKK end this mth!! But still, my reno has not even started leh, i scared i end up buying everything i see there then i die lor!!

Hi Bebebe...was still tinking this mng on the way to work if I shld go now or wait until my reno almost complete. U know la, so many things to buy and most of the things are cheaper there than here and so I am afraid i will hv a lot of impulse buying lor! Hey bebebe, when u buying yr lamp, did u see those w coloured crystal beads? My fren got 2, tink she oso bought frm chatuchak. How much did u pay for yrs? U noe hoe, there's alot of nice cups cups, mugs mugs, plates plates and stuffs in Chatuchak but how to bring them back? I cun possible check them in, hand carry oso got problem. Ship back ah? Anyone has experience bring back all those cups cups mugs mugs??

Wei wei MLR, where did u see the crystals lighting in Chatuchak or u saw them in MBK? So in the end, what did u buy from BKK?

Side track a bit hor...who has a pool table at home? Who has a bath tub at home? Am considering asking ID to construct a "bath tub". Usually the ID will built a shower curb right which is prob ard ankle height or lower, so i hv this tot of asking him to built the curb up to knee level or somewhere near a bath height then fill the floor of the interior w mosiac. Anyone tried doing or tried doing something similar?

Hey TYM

Thanks for reinforcing the desire in me to go to BKK end this mth!! But still, my reno has not even started leh, i scared i end up buying everything i see there then i die lor!!

Hi Bebebe...was still tinking this mng on the way to work if I shld go now or wait until my reno almost complete. U know la, so many things to buy and most of the things are cheaper there than here and so I am afraid i will hv a lot of impulse buying lor! Hey bebebe, when u buying yr lamp, did u see those w coloured crystal beads? My fren got 2, tink she oso bought frm chatuchak. How much did u pay for yrs? U noe hoe, there's alot of nice cups cups, mugs mugs, plates plates and stuffs in Chatuchak but how to bring them back? I cun possible check them in, hand carry oso got problem. Ship back ah? Anyone has experience bring back all those cups cups mugs mugs??

Wei wei MLR, where did u see the crystals lighting in Chatuchak or u saw them in MBK? So in the end, what did u buy from BKK?

Side track a bit hor...who has a pool table at home? Who has a bath tub at home? Am considering asking ID to construct a "bath tub". Usually the ID will built a shower curb right which is prob ard ankle height or lower, so i hv this tot of asking him to built the curb up to knee level or somewhere near a bath height then fill the floor of the interior w mosiac. Anyone tried doing or tried doing something similar?

Hey Sarah, I think it's ok. My renovations have just started too. I think you would sort of know what you need and want already. Think about what you want before you head there.. that's waht i did. Saves time too, esp if you are fickle minded. hehe. !! Really alot of things to buy.. almost bought a shower head cos its only 20sgd. lol. :good: I think crockerys can check in.. make sure there's a huge FRAGILE sign. :D

Are you refering to color beads curtains, or lights? not sure if i get it right, but it does sound like something u can get at chatuchak, or one of the mkts there definitely.

For bathtub -- You refering to something like at SBH showroom at Toh Guan. I saw something like that there. Heard from a plumbing pro that it's possible, only downside i can think of is the amount of cleaning that comes with mosaic, and mosaic dont seems to "age" well.

Hmm.. guess i have to be more diligent about cleaning :(

Phoenix, I stayed Eastin Spa Hotel and paid thb5000 for 2 nights. Its at Pratunam area, a little inconvenient by public transport. The hotel is new though, gd value for $ I thought.

i'm thinking of taking a short break to BKK. anyone got good hotel recommendations? thanks.

Novotel Siam Square

Hi Diva 79, when u were there, did u see them selling synthetic crystal lights? Did u notice the prices? I am hoping to see if there is any bargains that i can find there. I am particularly interested in glittery chandelier or crystal lights, but synthetic ones are not available in Singapore.

Phoenix, I stayed Eastin Spa Hotel and paid thb5000 for 2 nights. Its at Pratunam area, a little inconvenient by public transport. The hotel is new though, gd value for $ I thought.

yep, actually i would like to try out these smaller hotels, i heard some are new and very cosy too. but would prefer somewhere nearer to their MRT. got or not ah?

Novotel Siam Square

thanks TYM. if i can't find anything suitable, then i'd juz go for this one.. abit boring...coz stayed in this hotel in other countries a few times liao.