Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
calicojane

Driveway Automatic Gate---price Range

Closing outwards? I don't understand. My gates swing outwards to open, why would it be disallowed?

I think there are two reasons. First, by swinging outwards, you may hit and damage a car that is directly outside your gate or someone who is standing outside your gate (in a public place) may get knocked by your gate opening outwards towards him/her. Second reason that I thought of was to restrict homeowners from building only within your land perimeter.

I was informed by the architect that the rule prohibits swing gates from opening outwards, unless after opening outwards, the gate is still within the perimeter of your house. Like I said earlier, after TOP, nobody bothers unless there is a complain against you.

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

Well you get a small dent. I know because a friend parked in front of our property w the gates opened. But the sensor was not blocked so it closed on her car. Really it was the best $500 I spent. My auto gate receiver was in the garden so it's hard to remotely activate the gate to close from the car outside the house.

I thought you would have a remote control. I think door closing outwards is not approved by the authorities. For TOP purposes, doors have to close inwards. Anyway, after TOP, many owners reverse the closing of the gates towards outside. Danger is for homeowners to damage someone's car and the person make a complain to URA and BCA. You may want to consider a sliding gate in future.

Well you get a small dent. I know because a friend parked in front of our property w the gates opened. But the sensor was not blocked so it closed on her car. Really it was the best $500 I spent. My auto gate receiver was in the garden so it's hard to remotely activate the gate to close from the car outside the house.

I went with my id who quoted me $4+k as well. I thought it's reasonable because he fabricated the metal gate to my design. In the end I had to add $500 for a sensor to auto close the gate. It's a hassle to use the remote each time I drive out.

That's wonderful. Just concern that if the sensor fails and the autogate closes on you before you could drive off completely, it can be quite disasterous.

I went with my id who quoted me $4+k as well. I thought it's reasonable because he fabricated the metal gate to my design. In the end I had to add $500 for a sensor to auto close the gate. It's a hassle to use the remote each time I drive out.

Awesome post! We just bought an inter-terrace with a very retro looking swing gate. Was thinking of changing it to chengai + iron bi-fold version with electrical auto-gate...

now, lets say hat i want my side wall to have chengai to match the gate. Question is that do i get the contractor to do it, or the gate people (since i want them to match)?

probably get contractor to do is better, as gate people only pro at their gate stuff i believe..im oso currently goin tru some reno works fo my house. my contractor suggested balau wood instead of chenghai, more cost effective and was advised that balau is more for fencing use, else chenghai is more of floor decking.

Pm me if you want to me to share my reno contact.

Awesome post! We just bought an inter-terrace with a very retro looking swing gate. Was thinking of changing it to chengai + iron bi-fold version with electrical auto-gate...

now, lets say hat i want my side wall to have chengai to match the gate. Question is that do i get the contractor to do it, or the gate people (since i want them to match)?

Is installing wood on wrong iron really good? I saw the laquar fading off for some of these wooden gates and I think some owners paint over the wood once every two years.

Luckily, I read this thread. My contractor quoted me $5k for the Auto gate (wrought iron Chengai wood). This is EX!!!. Better get my own. For those who have already installed their auto gate, pls share your feedback.

Below my quote from Piang Giap last week. I chose to have wrough iron fencing throughout my driveway. The quote is also for 'simple' design only.

To Supply and Install:

1 Set Sliding Wrought Iron Fencing Gate: $2,188.00

Vertically Build (Simple design)

Hot Dip Galvanised and Powder Coat Finishing

1 Set Auto System: $1,588.00

1 Set Fencing Railing Vertically Build: $1,388.00

Vertically Build (Simple design)

Hot Dip Galvanised and Powder Coat Finishing

Total price: $5,164.00

Any comments?

Luckily, I read this thread. My contractor quoted me $5k for the Auto gate (wrought iron Chengai wood). This is EX!!!. Better get my own. For those who have already installed their auto gate, pls share your feedback.

We just bought an inter terrace house and am also looking into getting a new auto gate. prefer wooden ones for privacy. have already emailed pang giap, sercuritex and legate for quotation.

so far how's everyone's gate doing?

realized that everyone prefers swing out gate. no one likes sliding gate?

My family have been using swing out or swing in auto gates for the last 2 properties we had. Main reason was that it comes with it, developer had it installed so we had no choice.

For my new property, i decide to use sliding gate for the space reasons. I need to park 2cars. My existing front porch can only park 1 car inside so the 2nd car has to be park on the pavement before the front porch. If i had swing out or swing in auto gate, then we have to have space allowance for the swinging gates, which unfortunately we do not have the luxury of space.

Sliding gates tend to be slower than swinging gates coz imagine u have to slide 2panels in vs swinging gates which swing 2panels at the same time.

Swinging gates in general look better than sliding gates also.

my contractor quote me $4k for mild steel frame + chennai timber for the gate, WITHOUT the motor. expensive huh.

from the previous post it seems that such a gate is probably around $2k-$3k without motor?

hmm ... mine is wrought iron with chengnai ... all in inc motor is $3K but that was some time ago .... the autogate motor shd be in the range from $1K - $1.5K ..

would advise not to have too heavy a gate as over time, it will affect the motor ....

We just bought an inter terrace house and am also looking into getting a new auto gate. prefer wooden ones for privacy. have already emailed pang giap, sercuritex and legate for quotation.

so far how's everyone's gate doing?

realized that everyone prefers swing out gate. no one likes sliding gate?

my contractor quote me $4k for mild steel frame + chennai timber for the gate, WITHOUT the motor. expensive huh.

from the previous post it seems that such a gate is probably around $2k-$3k without motor?

Edited by wind30