Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
sxin

Haunted By Loansharks At Ang Mo Kio (resale Flat)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Help! I need your help and advice.

I bought a 3 room flat at Ang Mo Kio. To my surprise, the unit is haunted by the loanshark. I only notice the place got loanshark, when I about to paint my gate, there are red and blue paint spots.

I called the prev owner . He said he didn't owed them. He is just a guarantor for his friend who already ran away.

Is this true? The loanshark will hunt for the guarantor?

TIPS: For buying resale flat, look carefully on the main door and gate, and stair case. There are so OBVIOUS SIGN OF LOANSHARK, but I didn't have experience that time. My stupid agent, keep telling me no loanshark and don't be so paranoid. Agent only cares about closing sale! Because I got this "strange" feeling. I asked the agent to get his copy of IC and his work place. But my agent said, don't be so paranoid. I told my agent, one of my friend just got it.

Anyway ...

Someone came last saturday, left a small note on my door of his number. When I called, he said he is looking for the previous owner because owed money. I told him I am a new owner, he asked me to get the previous owner address, which I dont have. But I have the owner number and his agent, and the agent also his brother. (Not sure this is good or not)

The loanshark told me, they go by address. So even if I'm a new owner, most likely I will still get splash. He said the previous owner owed quite a few loansharks. I can confirmed it because there are different numbers on the wall which had been painted off.

My question is should I coorporate with the loanshark, give the number of the prev owner and his brother (agent). And any related informations.

The loanshark said, he want to help me to "clear" my unit in exchange to get the prev owner address. He told me to call (lie) to prev owner, there is a mail for me and I go deliver to him. I'm affraid what if the prev owner just a guarantor? And make things more complicated.

I went to police station at AMK, the officer told me it's up to me whether I want to give the information. Because they not sure whether it's legal or illegal money lending. What's the different?

I called 999, the officer said don't communicate to the loanshark at all.

What do you think? If I corporate with the loanshark, will I get into trouble, will I make thing more complicated?

Thank you so much for reading my question

Sxin

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

Whether he's a guarantor or borrows money himself, I dun think he should just sell his flat, run away and let others handle the ****. Its just not fair to you.

I will definitely try my best to get the address of the previous owner and give it to the loanshark the address of the previous owner; in fact I will even print a A3-size poster with the information and paste it outside my flat.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Help! I need your help and advice.

I bought a 3 room flat at Ang Mo Kio. To my surprise, the unit is haunted by the loanshark. I only notice the place got loanshark, when I about to paint my gate, there are red and blue paint spots.

I went to police station at AMK, the officer told me it's up to me whether I want to give the information. Because they not sure whether it's legal or illegal money lending. What's the different?

I called 999, the officer said don't communicate to the loanshark at all.

What do you think? If I corporate with the loanshark, will I get into trouble, will I make thing more complicated?

Thank you so much for reading my question

Sxin

If the POLICE cant do anything to protect innocent house owners or give legally correct advices, I wonder who can? Geezz.....

I suggest you do not collaborate with the loansharks. Ask them to go AMK police station to seek the previous owners' whereabouts. If you get involved & suay suay some people are hurt, you may get implicated for aiding in an illegal activity.

Vince

If the POLICE cant do anything to protect innocent house owners or give legally correct advices, I wonder who can? Geezz.....

I suggest you do not collaborate with the loansharks. Ask them to go AMK police station to seek the previous owners' whereabouts. If you get involved & suay suay some people are hurt, you may get implicated for aiding in an illegal activity.

Vince

You should try to get the new address of the previous owner and give it to the loan shark...or u face sleepless nights yourself...and rem that you are the innocent party and you should not be carrying the burden.....

Edited by etacs

You should try to get the new address of the previous owner and give it to the loan shark...or u face sleepless nights yourself...and rem that you are the innocent party and you should not be carrying the burden.....

I wish I have the address. I only have his number and his agent (luckly is his brother).

But I don't think I want to be involved deeper.

I made my mind only to entertaint by giving numbers, other than that, It might backfire me.

Who knows the prev owner revenge by borrow some more using his IC.

Because his IC might still using my house address.

Suay and sian.

Thanks for advice anyway

sxin

sxin,

Maybe u should install a CCTV.. I remember I saw on news that many loanshark being caught this way.

U should hv the previous owner's full name & IC right ? U should approach Police to make sure he/she has changed their address in their IC. Like u say, what if he/she borrow money again using the old address again.....

Thanks for all your suggestion. I appreciate it. :bangwall:

The more I shared to other people, the more relief I feel.

Actually, before the final completion, when I had the bad feeling,

I already told my agent to get the prev owner working place, where is he move to, copy of the IC.

My agent told me, there is no such practice.

It's really unfair to buyer, because the seller know where is the buyer live but the buyer doesn't know where is the seller move to.

I hope in the future HDB imposes this rule.

Check with police about change of address? I will try, but I don't think the police will let me know.

They said it's confidential.

Because I asked them before, whether there is a report being lodged regarding loanshark for my unit.

My ex owner, told me he lodged a report before.

The police told me it's confidential.

Vince

To be fair and taking emotions out from the picture, you will realised that this is considered a private matter between the loanshark and you. The loanshark does not go out terrorising everyone; just those who borrowed money and those who are related. Even for those cases where the loanshark harasses the neighbour, it was in a desperate bid to find the borrower.

Hence, we cannot really blame the police for not doing anything, because their primary duty is to neutralise those who harm the society as a whole, and not serve as your personal bodyguard for your private matters.

Also for being implicated to be seen as 'collaborating' with the loansharks for illegal activities (or abetment), that would be quite a long shot. All you did was to refer them to the correct address of the person they are looking for, as per what you would have done for any postman, despatch, visitors, etc that comes to your flat seeking the previous owner. It is definitely not your duty to investigate if the seeker is going to cause harm to the other party; you are just pointing them to the correct person/address that they had sought for.

In order to charge you for abetment, the police would have to prove that you did not just to give address but actually ORDERED the loanshark to harass the previous owner, which is both untrue and difficult to prove. Even if the police becomes so kuku and try to charge you, the simple argument of "I am just trying to defend my own flat and family" would warrant the judge to throw the prosecutor's case out of the window.

I made my mind only to entertaint by giving numbers, other than that, It might backfire me.

Who knows the prev owner revenge by borrow some more using his IC.

Because his IC might still using my house address.

If you are concern with whether the seller or any other person concerned have changed their NRIC address, you may consider sending an email to ICA to enquire. You need to provide some informations like the house address, your full name & NRIC and any other authorised members' full name & NRIC which have the hse address on thier NRIC. It is an offence not to update the change of address.

I checked with ICA when I keep receiving legal letter addressed to my seller. ICA will reply on whether any "unauthorised person" have your address as their registered address but they will not reveal the seller new address. But be ready to wait awhile for the reply.

PM me if you need the email address & details.

sxin,

Hope u have already resolved your house's issue from the loanshark harassment. Care to share your experience on how you managed to get it resolved? Through police or HDB's help?

Will certainly be helpful to any other victims in your situation :)

Hey there!

Settled!!!

Did you just buy the house?

Actually I didn't do anything.

I was worried too much. Kan Chiong Spider.

At the end of the day, nothing happen to my house

Best is not to negotiate with the LoanShark. It will implicates you more.

Just stay away from them and act blur.

Just tell them, you are reporting to the police.

I was prepared for the worst case, the splashed paint. Which I've told my wife in a fun way :D

Unless they did something worse than this, you should report to the police.

Anyway, the loanshark also affraid of you.

Some people said, if you let your light on at night, the loanshark doesnt dare to splash paint. Or you can buy fake cctv.

Most cases, just put a notice letter outside your door, that the ex-owner no longer live in this unit.

You have watched the movie right, where the blur guy try to negotiate with the bandit / terrorist / kidnapper and too affraid to tell the police.

And the end of the day, the bandit still kill that guy. (Only in the movie)

Don't repeat the same mistake. Becarful when you talk to the loanshark. Dont even give your name.

What ever you said, it will use back by them. To threaten you.

Think before you act and say anything. Don't be kan chiong spider like me :D

Relax, think it through.

Let's Talkcock:

Somehow I fell safe live in Singapore. Our neighbour country, if some one borrow money and cant pay. Even from the big banks such Cit*****.

They will send debt collectors, big guys, scary face, tatto everywhere, bang at your door, threaten everyone coming in and out the house, sleep outside your house,

most of the time it involves violence and carry knifes. They will come to your house, take what thing they can take.

They are not affraid of the police.

This is true, I know someone that experienced that scary moment.

Compare to this, paint is consider very mild.

Moral of the story, Singapore is a Law country. Let the police do their job. The loanshark is taking very high risk to keep harrassing the innocent owner.

Sxin

Hi Si Xin, I read your post about the loanshark issue, I'm in the same case now and I am looking for help and advices from everywhere. May I know how you settled this? thanks!
Edited by sxin

Compensate? :D hahaha... wait long long

Money is the 1st reason why they ran away.

But if you have any trouble with persistant loanshark,

just give them your the agent number.

By right, the agent should know where is the ex-owner, at least he can contact the agent from the seller side. Tell the LS this agent can find where is the ex-owner.

The agent took our money should be responsible for it. He should do his job properly before offer the house to you. 95% of the agents can tell the house has loanshark or not if they spent 10 minutes checking the house.

How is your case now? Did they do anything to your house?

Hi there, I know I've PM-ed you about the loanshark case before.

One more question, did your seller compensate you in any way, I mean in monetary form?

Compensate? :D hahaha... wait long long

Money is the 1st reason why they ran away.

But if you have any trouble with persistant loanshark,

just give them your the agent number.

By right, the agent should know where is the ex-owner, at least he can contact the agent from the seller side. Tell the LS this agent can find where is the ex-owner.

The agent took our money should be responsible for it. He should do his job properly before offer the house to you. 95% of the agents can tell the house has loanshark or not if they spent 10 minutes checking the house.

How is your case now? Did they do anything to your house?

I almost bought a unit at Potong Pasir splash paint one. Wonder why police dun do anything?