Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
big orange

Bedok Central

Instant water heaters vs Storage water heaters

Hi cacky, let's look at the choice of IWH vs SWH objectively: Do u have other objectives that can aid you in the decision? Such as cost issues, cost of usage in terms of water & electricity, future needs projection. For your current usage of 2 persons, an IWH in the master toilet provides the most optimal cost efficiency for pure showering: Just initial investment cost + usage cost. However, if you wanna enjoy hot water on your hands in the basin, then storage water heater is the way to go. Water in a Joven SWH can last from the morning shower till you come back from work. Of course, that depends on when your 2nd shower is!

Using a simplest input-output equation applied on heat transfer,

Input = Output + Heat Loss

Electricity + Water = Hot Water + Heat Loss

In terms of cumulative electricity usage, SWH would use more electricity than IWH but SWH is heating up an entire tank of water, be it 15L, 25L, 35L or even 50L while IWH is merely heating the water that flows over the heating element. Actually, I wouldn't call the process in IWH heating but rather the flowing water is cooling the heating element. So naturally, SWH consume more electricity than IWH. Moreover, water heated by SWH is hotter than that by IWH. Surely you've experienced showering on a cold day using a IWH and had to turn the knob all the way to the hot hot zone to enjoy reasonably hot water. The heat loss is much, much more in IWH than SWH as SWH has insulation to keep the water heated hot for a day or two. So you really need to ask yourself, what are the other factors that matter to you in selecting a water heater. You can read leen's excellent perspective on IWH vs SWH.

Once the choice of water heater is made, you'll have more headache to come! Different brands & models of water heaters!!

For SWH, there are Alpha, Amascon, Ariston, Champs, Joven, Rheem. It's another round of specifications crunching & comparison. And it is good to select those with high efficiencies if energy conservation is one of your objectives.

PD Door vs Bi-Fold door

There are wooden bifold doors. However, their cost is rather prohibitive & the natural proximity of the door to the shower area does not bode well for the durability of the door, even with the barrier provided by a shower screen - water vapour travels and they gravitate towards opening with large surface area when air flow is stronger. So don't expect the small ventilation window panes to do much unless a ventilation fan is installed to extract air out from the shower area.

Aluminium still provides the best bet on durability in such areas where agents of corrosion are present. What you can do, however, is to dictate the supplier to power coat the aluminium bifold door & frame with a colour that matches with the rest of the other wooden doors, provided they have such a colour from their supplier.

Do note that one of HDB's prime objectives to SIC on this public housing development project and any other for that matter, is cost. HDB throws SIC a budget of say $20 million and say: "Ok, build me 958 units of HDB flats, X number of 3 room flats, Y number of 4 room flats, Z number of 5 room flats, with this, this, this & this. For SIC to make a decent profit, they have to contain cost of construction which they or HDB open a tender to select the lowest bidder. So I advise you not to look to HDB, SIC or China Construction to exercise much well-thought design & construction considerations. This is evident from the dozens of design faults easily spot in Linear Green units.

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

There are two parts to the size of a hob: The exterior dimension and the cut-out size. The hob slots into the cut-out in the solid surface or granite worktop.

793.jpg

Again, the choice of hobs or any household appliance can be rather complex: Some go for looks first; I go for substance first. Always. Substance over form.

Tip: Know the core benefit of what you are really buying. And that you are not buying flowers.

Hi isc90152,

Think I am getting the same brand and hob as you.

I go take some picture to see whether is it what you want buy. :notti:

no worries man. You can find it it www.hobz.com.sg

I saw it at IMM the other day. Looks quite nice. Poh Joo quoted me the best price so far, maybe if you other good deals, let me know k?

DSA, very informative post. Shows a lot about the depth of your research and the amt of effort you put in. My wife and I am not thinking to cook a lot so we are just thinking about getting the cheapest and ermmm... nicest looking one (ordinary size) o that we can easily replaced it when its no longer functioning.

Edited by isc90152

no worries man. You can find it it www.hobz.com.sg

I saw it at IMM the other day. Looks quite nice. Poh Joo quoted me the best price so far, maybe if you other good deals, let me know k?

DSA, very informative post. Shows a lot about the depth of your research and the amt of effort you put in. My wife and I am not thinking to cook a lot so we are just thinking about getting the cheapest and ermmm... nicest looking one (ordinary size) o that we can easily replaced it when its no longer functioning.

Hi isc90512, I bought my hob and hood at poh joo.... :notti:

Yes, they always quote the best price. :deal:

Yup, most of the linearians here all very knowledgeable and helpful :yamseng:

learn quite a bit from them :notti:

i collected my keys today! BO, can bold my nick? tks!

CONGRATS sidney :yamseng:

Headach coming soon... :notti:

Hi blurer23, how you place your sofa? which side of the wall u will be placing ur sofa?

In term of cost saving, instant heater is more power saving.

As for the PD door, it actually up to your design concept. As for wooden material in bathroom? mm.. i prefer something which is waterproof. My idea is keep the common toilet door and change MBR to bi-fold/PD .

Roughly i have some ideas on how to do and what to do for my reno. But i need a good master to orchestrate the whole process. I dun be doing anything or much for my 2 common rooms.

The basic configuration of my proposed design will be

1. Homo tiles (whole) or living room (homo) + bedroom (AC5 laminate) w/ wood skirting

2. Air con (sys 3 or sys 4)

3. Curtain for whole house.

4. *optional* window grills.

5. BR3 will be fully white light.

6. switch will be change to lengard (colored) or eslicp (the blue LED).

7. minimum trunking

8. cozy color in living room (matching for all rooms)

Living room & dinning area

1. one long false ceiling (with minimum light points)

2. 2 side of cove light.

3. TV console & feature wall (black mirror) at short wall.

4. clear mirror behind sofa

5. chandelier light at dinning area

6. Dinning area wall is whole pc of black mirror.

7. Shoe cabinet with *optional*top cupboard to put (ladies accessories, watch, tie, cuff link)

Kitchen & service yard

1. 2 sides kitchen cabinet w/ soft close system.

2. service yard window

MBR & Master bathroom

1. Built in wardrobe

2. chandelier light

3. Change bi fold/PD door for bathroom

4. Shower-screen (glass door)

5. Granite Vanity top with new basin + tap + mirror

6. Simple accessories

Common Bathroom

1. shower-screen curtain. -> prepare for kids, because they might need more space to move.

2. Install water heater storage.

3. mirror

BR2 - Guest Room

1. Leave it empty 1st.

2. should be buying bed frame and wardrobe

BR3 - Multi propose Room

1. Will hang my wife punching bag (not me hor!)

2. A comfort relax chair (something like lazyboy) or those empress sit one lah. So can surf my net and do my research.

3. maybe buy a nice console to put mini sound system (should be an onyko)

4. A study table/chair

HHS

*optional* tempted to do warehousing racking system.

Actually do very little, but it a bit too detail on all things. Looking forward for the new challenge!!! YIPPE! :sport-smiley-003:

Hi big orange, jus to check with you on how you place your sofa? along which side of the wall?? mine is 3 seater sofa, i'm planning to place it on the short wall nearer to the bedroom but my sofa is too long...

We are truly blessed to have knowledgeable folks like DSA living in our estate. Hhehehe. :) Thanks once again ... for all the info you've provided!

wow there are now more people since my last message entry! congratulations to all who just got their keys.

haha thanks man. i know! researching for all these is going to give me a big headache!

i also have a problem on which side to place the sofa and tv..

wow there are now more people since my last message entry! congratulations to all who just got their keys.

Yup, the more the merrier!

Anyway got to know my whole level neighbours. 2 of them have started their reno, 2 have come and look-see after getting their keys. Guess I'm expecting more noise (hacking/drilling) soon hehe.

Hi Hi big orange, jus to check with you on how you place your sofa? along which side of the wall?? mine is 3 seater sofa, i'm planning to place it on the short wall nearer to the bedroom but my sofa is too long...

TV on short wall, sofa on long wall!

congrat sidney93!

i also have a problem on which side to place the sofa and tv..

Note that if you want to put the TV at the long wall, will have to spend more on electrician to pull the SCV & FM socket over ;p Think that item alone costed me around 100 bucks...

Hi blurer23, how you place your sofa? which side of the wall u will be placing ur sofa?

Hi big orange, jus to check with you on how you place your sofa? along which side of the wall?? mine is 3 seater sofa, i'm planning to place it on the short wall nearer to the bedroom but my sofa is too long...

Hi wkyong,

I place my L shaped sofa on the short wall and relay my scv point to the long wall.

For the protuding area of the sofa, plan to buy a glass cabinet to cover it :notti:

BO - thanks! think most likely i'll do that too.. unless someone has a more creative suggestion lol.

isc90152 - yup exactly. that is troublesome but can DIY right? to do the wiring over to the long wall. to me, it just looks natural to come into my house and see the sofa on the left (long wall) and tv on the right (short wall) haha :sport-smiley-018:

BO - thanks! think most likely i'll do that too.. unless someone has a more creative suggestion lol.

will be doing feature wall / tv console for the short wall. The sofa will be the below cause it only 180cm - $295 IKEA.

32946_PE089088_S3.jpg

Edited by big orange

I bought all my toilet acessories from Poh Joo. I think the price is ok. :P

Hi SoS, thank you for the info. Have you installed the rain shower? Do you have a picture which you can PM me please? Thank you.