Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
yapyap

Solar Film

Anyone using solar film for their house? Need clear film, minimum colour as doesn't suit the theme of the house. What brand is out there?

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation
Anyone using solar film for their house? Need clear film, minimum colour as doesn't suit the theme of the house. What brand is out there?

yup, search for my thread.

i'm using Llumbar brand (USA company).

its damm good. shop is Window Cool. you can search for its contacts in yellowpages.com or google.

Llumbar makes some of the solar films for 3M.

they have a range of tints, UV, Heat rejections film for u to choose.

and your purpose of having the film is for? it will be good to list them down as some of these characteristics are countering, like you can get "A" but then you compromise "B" etc.

yup, search for my thread.

i'm using Llumbar brand (USA company).

its damm good. shop is Window Cool. you can search for its contacts in yellowpages.com or google.

Llumbar makes some of the solar films for 3M.

they have a range of tints, UV, Heat rejections film for u to choose.

Thanks alot. will contact them. their website dont list their address.. its abit odd.

and your purpose of having the film is for? it will be good to list them down as some of these characteristics are countering, like you can get "A" but then you compromise "B" etc.

To repel heat (infra-red) mainly. UV protection for the furniture next.

We still want light to be in the house.

Actually, the last is the hardest because clear film are the most expensive.

The most cost effective solution I know is from Basic Deco. Although the range is sold at HomeFix, Toyogo and other shops, it is good to go to the company direct as they can cut to the size you require.

All you need is to supply your own labour. It is rather easy to put up.

The most cost effective solution I know is from Basic Deco. Although the range is sold at HomeFix, Toyogo and other shops, it is good to go to the company direct as they can cut to the size you require.

All you need is to supply your own labour. It is rather easy to put up.

hmz. think i need professional to put up for my house.. its not for window but for canopy and skylight. I need long term warranty for peeling, color fading, bubbles, etc.

i saw an ad in one of those free publication that they dropped in my mailbox that has this thing call MIracool glass shield, not sure if it will help you or not but it does have the properties that you are looking for. Here is their address:-

Miracool Glass Shield

Blk 1000, Tai Seng Avenue, #01-2500

Singapore 534421.

Tel: 6280 2422

Let us know what you find out. Thanks

I, personally am also looking for some kind of film but have not nail down on what i need as i may require different things for different window.

hmz. think i need professional to put up for my house.. its not for window but for canopy and skylight. I need long term warranty for peeling, color fading, bubbles, etc.
Edited by wuga98

Thanks. I basically shortlist to 3 brands now.. Ilumnar as recommended by Donut88, 3M as rec by my ID and V-Kool, rec by my window blinds maker..

All 3 are not cheap but provide 15years warranty.

Has anyone use Perfect Window Film?

for UV rejection, 10 out of 10 vendors will show you their spec is 99.99% rejection. Only tricky thing is heat. Like u had found out, clear yet with high-IR rejection is actually the most expensive type.

I spoke to a few vendors before and learned something from them. And one of them actually had the same observation as me. I told him of my observation that 2 cars parked under the sun, getting into the dark-tinted-cheapo-film car is cooler than getting into the clear-tint-yet-high-IR-rejection car. He agreed and told me that actually the visible part of light also carries heat, not just the IR part. And that heat transmission you need to look at the "total transmitted energy" instead of only looking at the IR portion. So this you have to do your comparison.

Expensive film is not necessarily means it's excellent in heat rejection. It maybe expensive simply because the material used is expensive. E.g film can use titanium powder mixed into the film for heat reflection. Titanium being an expensive metal will naturally increase the price of the film.

Very sound advice, i am a very cautious person on whatever i intent to do and will do a whole bunch of research before i commit thus sometimes it get to weeks to even months to even do any review. :notti:

I will have to collect my thoughts on what in specific that i need and for which window and then do some research and shotlisting.

BTW, i like your signature "on the screw up contractor" :sport-smiley-003:

for UV rejection, 10 out of 10 vendors will show you their spec is 99.99% rejection. Only tricky thing is heat. Like u had found out, clear yet with high-IR rejection is actually the most expensive type.

I spoke to a few vendors before and learned something from them. And one of them actually had the same observation as me. I told him of my observation that 2 cars parked under the sun, getting into the dark-tinted-cheapo-film car is cooler than getting into the clear-tint-yet-high-IR-rejection car. He agreed and told me that actually the visible part of light also carries heat, not just the IR part. And that heat transmission you need to look at the "total transmitted energy" instead of only looking at the IR portion. So this you have to do your comparison.

Expensive film is not necessarily means it's excellent in heat rejection. It maybe expensive simply because the material used is expensive. E.g film can use titanium powder mixed into the film for heat reflection. Titanium being an expensive metal will naturally increase the price of the film.

Thanks. I basically shortlist to 3 brands now.. Ilumnar as recommended by Donut88, 3M as rec by my ID and V-Kool, rec by my window blinds maker..

All 3 are not cheap but provide 15years warranty.

Has anyone use Perfect Window Film?

I have also talked to Perfect Window film company....in fact the guy came down to see my home and went thru with me the products they have

I'm not impressed by Perfect coz the guy didnt really explain the properties of the film and what is necessary for me....

he's like giving whatever i asked for and not probing into what is necessary

Perfect is cheap, i must agree... i think its like half price of what Llumar's prices.

The guy cant even explain where the Perfect films come from..... I suspect its OEM from some country.

15 years warranty is really a long time to go....

So dun think too much or worry alot.... 15 years for the price you pay now.... divide out per year, and you will realise its really cheap to pay.

You may not even stay in tat home for 15 years!!!

Safest is go for reputable brands.... you wont go wrong.

Very sound advice, i am a very cautious person on whatever i intent to do and will do a whole bunch of research before i commit thus sometimes it get to weeks to even months to even do any review. :notti:

I will have to collect my thoughts on what in specific that i need and for which window and then do some research and shotlisting.

BTW, i like your signature "on the screw up contractor" :sport-smiley-003:

is that.. U xxxx ? :notti: thanks for the advice hihihi.. ..

Edited by yapyap

I have also talked to Perfect Window film company....in fact the guy came down to see my home and went thru with me the products they have

I'm not impressed by Perfect coz the guy didnt really explain the properties of the film and what is necessary for me....

he's like giving whatever i asked for and not probing into what is necessary

Perfect is cheap, i must agree... i think its like half price of what Llumar's prices.

The guy cant even explain where the Perfect films come from..... I suspect its OEM from some country.

15 years warranty is really a long time to go....

So dun think too much or worry alot.... 15 years for the price you pay now.... divide out per year, and you will realise its really cheap to pay.

You may not even stay in tat home for 15 years!!!

Safest is go for reputable brands.... you wont go wrong.

The guy from Llumar is knowledgeable and can give pretty good advice as compared to 3M and my blinds maker who is just an agent so i dont blame her for not knowing much anyway.

The first question he asked was the type and how is my canopy glass constructed. Quite impress for a start.

At least they didn't send small kid to me.. like 3M did with 2 inexperience young SE whom doesn't even read my email properly, so much to be desired for their eyes to detail and experience.

As my canopies are constructed using 2 pieces of tempered glass laminated together. His advice was to use a film that will not trap heat so as to prevent thermal stress on the laminated glass. This does not generally affect window but it will be stressful on a canopy/skylight. make sense to me.

Will check his sample and make a decision soon as my skylight need to be done before i put up other stuff..

time is of the essence for me.. :yamseng:

The guy from Llumar is knowledgeable and can give pretty good advice as compared to 3M and my blinds maker who is just an agent so i dont blame her for not knowing much anyway.

The first question he asked was the type and how is my canopy glass constructed. Quite impress for a start.

At least they didn't send small kid to me.. like 3M did with 2 inexperience young SE whom doesn't even read my email properly, so much to be desired for their eyes to detail and experience.

As my canopies are constructed using 2 pieces of tempered glass laminated together. His advice was to use a film that will not trap heat so as to prevent thermal stress on the laminated glass. This does not generally affect window but it will be stressful on a canopy/skylight. make sense to me.

Will check his sample and make a decision soon as my skylight need to be done before i put up other stuff..

time is of the essence for me.. :yamseng:

See... Llumar is highly recommended.

This company does alot of commercial projects tender.... so they shld know their stuff.

I was also impressed by this Llumbar salesguy.

The reason why i decided to go with Llumbar was tat when he came to my unit to see the windows.

I was thinking of fixing films and roller blinds together from Llumbar.

He saw my master bedroom windows and he said "I know what i'm gonna to say to you will not help me in my sales, but i have to be honest. Your master bedroom windows dun need to have roller blinds coz you have such a beautiful view. Its so rare to have such a good view. Having roller blinds will only spoil it."

Just by this statement he made, i decided to close this deal with him on the spot.

The view from my bedroom overlooks totally unblocked view to as far as eyes can see, and i see above tree tops all the way.

My master bedroom windows are not small. it needs at least 4 big pcs of roller blinds of 5.5 feet length each. He would have keep quiet abt how he feels and make me install these 4 big pcs and he could have earn more.....

Edited by donut88