Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
Kari

Stepping Into A New Challenging Life

My window grills :

gapbtwgrills.th.jpg I don't like the gap. It's eatting into my pretty laminates! Cos it's casement window with handle at the bottom, the gap has to be bigger but must it be really so big! aiyo :bangwall:dsc00823h.th.jpgdsc00824x.th.jpgdsc00826wsa.th.jpg

for us, we got the contractor to cover the gap... concern is maintenance issue... don't want to have difficulty cleaning the gap... btw, we level up the stupid ledge too...

Edited by explorers

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation
for us, we got the contractor to cover the gap... concern is maintenance issue... don't want to have difficulty cleaning the gap... btw, we level up the stupid ledge too...

yeah all the dust trapped. so ur gap oso tat big? when they cover the gap, is there additional charge? haven't spoken to my contractor on tis yet. so wanna check out first. thanks

yeah all the dust trapped. so ur gap oso tat big? when they cover the gap, is there additional charge? haven't spoken to my contractor on tis yet. so wanna check out first. thanks

the gap measures 2.5cm... don't recall having to top up for that...

the gap measures 2.5cm... don't recall having to top up for that...

Thanks. I go check it out. Really appreciate the help. Do you have photos on how you level up the gap?

before:

t_08Jul25Windm_e3e69bb.jpg

after:

t_IMG2869m_2397ab6.jpg

hope it helps...

Hey thanks! but what did ur contractor do to cover up? looks like placing a metal strip over?

but if you cover up the gap, is it difficult to open the casement window since its handle is at the bottom. Will it difficult to hold the handle to push or pull the window open/close?

HHS Feature wall not flushed agst wall. Acceptable?

protrudinghhsfeaturewal.th.jpg

The carpenter said he followed my given measurements but I felt he could have asked whether I can accept this protruding door not align with my wall! Or to tell me the problem so that I can tell him perhaps to reduce the measurments and not die die follow the given ones! I'm not the expert carptener. I cant possibly be calculating the thickness of the plankwood, deduct them from my desired measurements to get the exact measurements to give them right?

If they die die want to follow my measurements, then how come for my kitchen cabinets, they din? They give excuses tat it's not possible cos they have to take into consideration of the plankwood thickness. [faint]

I understand they may not have the sense of aesthetic, but who doesn't want their wardrobes and cabinets to flush agst the walls? who likes protruding doors?

HHS Feature wall not flushed agst wall. Acceptable?

protrudinghhsfeaturewal.th.jpg

The carpenter said he followed my given measurements but I felt he could have asked whether I can accept this protruding door not align with my wall! Or to tell me the problem so that I can tell him perhaps to reduce the measurments and not die die follow the given ones! I'm not the expert carptener. I cant possibly be calculating the thickness of the plankwood, deduct them from my desired measurements to get the exact measurements to give them right?

If they die die want to follow my measurements, then how come for my kitchen cabinets, they din? They give excuses tat it's not possible cos they have to take into consideration of the plankwood thickness. [faint]

I understand they may not have the sense of aesthetic, but who doesn't want their wardrobes and cabinets to flush agst the walls? who likes protruding doors?

Follow the measurement?? As in wat measurement?? length to the wall??

If it length to the wall, than the carpenter should know tat when fabricate of the HHS feature wall, the length should only reach till the wall including the door of the HHS. And to me its unacceptable, they should know before doing tat.

Follow the measurement?? As in wat measurement?? length to the wall??

If it length to the wall, than the carpenter should know tat when fabricate of the HHS feature wall, the length should only reach till the wall including the door of the HHS. And to me its unacceptable, they should know before doing tat.

My instructions to my contractor was simple. I want 3 columns. First column to cover HHS door, 2nd column for shoe cabinet and the 3rd column with door tat open by the side for other storage purposes. So no exact measuremnts was given. I assume my contractor or the carpenter should know best how much space to give for each column.

Of course I expect the measurements they do is based on the length of the wall, so I was shocked to see that the HHS feature wall is not flushed. :( Can I reject this kind of work even when the door is up and the HHS feature wall already done? :dunno:

Kari, if you have yet to pay the full renov amt, it'll be helpful to ask for amendment for the unstatisfying work. Hold onto any outstanding payment, you have your right to ask for correction on unacceptable work.

Kari, if you have yet to pay the full renov amt, it'll be helpful to ask for amendment for the unstatisfying work. Hold onto any outstanding payment, you have your right to ask for correction on unacceptable work.

yeah i'm still holding on to more than 10%. She told me I can hold the 10% for as long as I want until I'm satisfied but not more than tat. She told me not to worry, that she'll rectify the problems. But God knows when cos none was done.

One good example. I told her to repaint cos I dun like the white patches on my wall. SHe said the painters had already painted 3 coats, so ask me to wait until capentry is up, then the painters will touch up again. I told her i'm worried the paint will stain my capentry, she told me they will cover and protect. Then I told her I dun want touch up cos my paint is not pentalite, touch up is very ugly. must paint the whole wall. she said no prob. But i find it stuipd cos isn't painting a bare wall easier than painting a wall with capentry? :bangwall:

The only plus point was the reno was done quite quickly. She takes initiative to do things (sometimes w/o informing me, which can be a plesant surprrise or shock at times lol) But I dun understand why she cannot do the rectifications at once. She always asks me to wait. macham must wait until everything's up and reno completed then she rectify the defects all at one time. tats how i feel la.

But then I oso worry if i give her the $ and jus holiding the 10%, she may not do all the rectifications as onli 10% nia. headache

Hey thanks! but what did ur contractor do to cover up? looks like placing a metal strip over?

but if you cover up the gap, is it difficult to open the casement window since its handle is at the bottom. Will it difficult to hold the handle to push or pull the window open/close?

i think the material's the same as the frame of the window grilles... its the same level as the part where ur grilles slides... so it shd not obstruct the handle of the window... thus, i do not hv difficulty operating the windows...

as to the gap between ur laminate floor and toilet, i tink i also have that...

abt ur bomb shelter door prob, i dont quite get it... best is we can go visit ur hse and help u check for problems that shd be rectified... :P

of coz u shouldn't give the 10% if u're still not satisfied (all the more so since ur contractor say can hold on to it)... owing to my own reno experience, i STRONGLY advise u not to give the remaining amt until they rectify all the things.... haha... ur contractor's really gona hate me for this... :unsure:

i think the material's the same as the frame of the window grilles... its the same level as the part where ur grilles slides... so it shd not obstruct the handle of the window... thus, i do not hv difficulty operating the windows...

as to the gap between ur laminate floor and toilet, i tink i also have that...

abt ur bomb shelter door prob, i dont quite get it... best is we can go visit ur hse and help u check for problems that shd be rectified... :P

of coz u shouldn't give the 10% if u're still not satisfied (all the more so since ur contractor say can hold on to it)... owing to my own reno experience, i STRONGLY advise u not to give the remaining amt until they rectify all the things.... haha... ur contractor's really gona hate me for this... :unsure:

great then i'm gg to get my contractor to do the level up for the window grill gap. hee

so are you staying in ur house now? I go visit you first la? so i can oso get ideas on where to place the bathroom accessories. the bathrooms are so small! and i haven't bought these items yet. lol after tat, then drop by to my place to help me check.. hee hee. acutuali i realize more eyes really help a lot, can spot problems faster and different people have differnt view point so can oso spot things tat I did not think of checking before.

i'm holding more than 10% leh. my contractor will indeed jump. lol.