Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
Cyberkinetic

Clarification On Electrical Switches And Points

Hi,

need clarification cos I just checked and found out my electrical contractor installed my new MK light switches and sockets..but the base casing is generic brand, CCM.

Called my reno contractor and electrical contractor but was told it is standard practice and that MK does not make the base casings. That the quoted price is just for the top plate only. Is this practice common?

If that's true, I'm still not satisfied cos the MK and the CCM aren't a good fit and the colour is different. Negotiating for him to at least make good on the fitting...

Cheers.

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

It's true, usually most of them only do the face plate, unless your switch is a special color, if not it doesn't come together.

That 30 cents white base casing is some generic brand, it turns yellow fast.

Thank u Cloyn for your reply...

Feels a little "cheated" though... Didn't expect to have it be different colour.. Doesn't make sense to change new ones then... and the 2 different colours really is very obvious.. wonder if I should just paint it the same as the wall colour so not so headache...

Rgds.

It's true, usually most of them only do the face plate, unless your switch is a special color, if not it doesn't come together.

That 30 cents white base casing is some generic brand, it turns yellow fast.

most brands only sell the faceplate, coz most modern switches are all concealed, therefore no need for the wallbox.

the wallbox at most cost $1.xx while the switches starts from few dollars onwards depending on colour, design, and brand. Wallbox are white colour, I haven't seen anything that has different colour. Normally the price of electrical point only consists of a El cheapo wallbox, not special branded stuff.

**BUT** MK has got its own wallbox :D . Check this out: (http://www.mkelectric.co.uk/products/ranges/rangeproducts.asp?productdescription=PVC+BOXES+32MM&rangeid=1003)

u can buy from Choo Chiang, got several branches islandwide.

Thanks, I got in touch with Choo Chiang and they managed to find the MK boxes for me(they dun keep stock of it)...but didn't get it eventually... $1.20 for single and $4.20 for double.. Reason is we asked them to check for us if the MK boxes are the same colour/texture/material as the Slimline Plus models in our house and they told us after checking that it isn't.

So we decided not to change (with $100 topup to the electrical guy)... probably have to just paint it over with the wall paint. at least only the face plate and the wall is 2 colours, and not 3 colours including the boxes... A bit disappointed la... but what to do? :(

Rgds.

most brands only sell the faceplate, coz most modern switches are all concealed, therefore no need for the wallbox.

the wallbox at most cost $1.xx while the switches starts from few dollars onwards depending on colour, design, and brand. Wallbox are white colour, I haven't seen anything that has different colour. Normally the price of electrical point only consists of a El cheapo wallbox, not special branded stuff.

**BUT** MK has got its own wallbox :D . Check this out: (http://www.mkelectric.co.uk/products/ranges/rangeproducts.asp?productdescription=PVC+BOXES+32MM&rangeid=1003)

u can buy from Choo Chiang, got several branches islandwide.

wallboxes only comes in white. those fancy looking modern faceplates is only good for concealed wiring i.e new HDB. Well, u learned something new everyday. :D

To be frank, it's a waste of money to buy those nice fancy modern faceplates when you can't do hidden wiring ...

That fat box behind is not nice...

To be frank, it's a waste of money to buy those nice fancy modern faceplates when you can't do hidden wiring ...

That fat box behind is not nice...

U can try to design it....or paint with different color on it to look different.