Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
GoalHome

A&a Vs. Reconstruction

Been looking around at landed properties... and most of it does not seem to meet expectations.

As such, looking at either A&A or reconstruction.

Would like to seek advise on what are the cost and work involved for A&A or reconstruction.

Planning on a property with land size approx 3,000 sqft, with a single storey building of about 2,000 sqft (considering adding a loft too).

Based on the above, how much will it cost? Is it costly to build a staircase to loft, relocate or build new toilet... how much is the cost?

Any advise on plans, methods and costings will be greatly appreciated.

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation
Been looking around at landed properties... and most of it does not seem to meet expectations.

As such, looking at either A&A or reconstruction.

Would like to seek advise on what are the cost and work involved for A&A or reconstruction.

Planning on a property with land size approx 3,000 sqft, with a single storey building of about 2,000 sqft (considering adding a loft too).

Based on the above, how much will it cost? Is it costly to build a staircase to loft, relocate or build new toilet... how much is the cost?

Any advise on plans, methods and costings will be greatly appreciated.

Without knowing the details, an estimate of about $350K should be okay if you are reconstructing a single house into 2 storey. I have also toyed with this idea previously but finally took a deep dive and go for re-erection of the house.

For plans, methods, etc... it is better for you to speak with an architect. He will be able to help you better.

If you just need to know how some others have done it, you can pm me with your phone number and we can chat about it on weekend. Cheers.

Edited by leechaorui

Without knowing the details, an estimate of about $350K should be okay if you are reconstructing a single house into 2 storey. I have also toyed with this idea previously but finally took a deep dive and go for re-erection of the house.

For plans, methods, etc... it is better for you to speak with an architect. He will be able to help you better.

If you just need to know how some others have done it, you can pm me with your phone number and we can chat about it on weekend. Cheers.

do note if u intend to "add" another story to the existing single story, the arch/engineer will have to determine if the existing structure is strong enough to withstand the additional weight of the new levels.

best if you bring along a PE or Arch or a experience contractor when u do a viewing of the house. they may give u their expert opinion.

good luck

Anyone can give some advice on what is the rule-of-thumb cost for complete reconstruction of a single-storey, inter-terr to a 2.5 storey one? Land approx 2000 sqft. Thanks very much :)

Anyone can give some advice on what is the rule-of-thumb cost for complete reconstruction of a single-storey, inter-terr to a 2.5 storey one? Land approx 2000 sqft. Thanks very much :)

$150K for 1st storey, $250K for 2nd storey, $350 for 2.5 to 3 storey. Every additional storey just add $100k to it.

$150K for 1st storey, $250K for 2nd storey, $350 for 2.5 to 3 storey. Every additional storey just add $100k to it.

I think your price for re-construction is very attractive. Would you be able to share more details like what does your re-construction include.?

yes...i would reckon it will cost about 100k per additional level and that's only for the structural part. the asthetics part covering finishing & archi works will cost additional.....

Budget based on 450-500K.

Apart from contractor construction costs, got PE fees for Architect, structural engineer, utlities connection fees, Authority Processing Fees. Then also got those ID related fees for feature wall/ wardrobes etc.

Apart from contractor construction costs, got PE fees for Architect, structural engineer, utlities connection fees, Authority Processing Fees. Then also got those ID related fees for feature wall/ wardrobes etc.

How many storey for $450K to $500K? I think the budget of $250K is either very attractive or it doesn't include a lot of stuff for the construction of a 2 storey house from single storey.

Typical inter Terr of land approximately 2000sqft, and 2.5 floors. If 3.5, I believe it goes to ard $550K.

250K I tink is do-able assuming no structural changes, and will be mostly changes to final finishes only.

Opps.. I take that back.. single storey usually no piling, if want to do piling will cost at least 50K, depending on soil condition.

250K for total reconstruction, I dun think is possible. Even if doable.. likely be malaysia low cost housing standard.. everything bare cement screed.

Edited by yoongf

Typical inter Terr of land approximately 2000sqft, and 2.5 floors. If 3.5, I believe it goes to ard $550K.

250K I tink is do-able assuming no structural changes, and will be mostly changes to final finishes only.

Opps.. I take that back.. single storey usually no piling, if want to do piling will cost at least 50K, depending on soil condition.

250K for total reconstruction, I dun think is possible. Even if doable.. likely be malaysia low cost housing standard.. everything bare cement screed.

Thanks for the clarification. About 6 years ago, my neighbour build his single storey inter-terrace (land is about 1,700 sq ft) to a three storey terrace for $300,000. Furnishing is fairly decent. Another neigbour just closed a deal to construct 3.5 storey for more than double the price. Somehow, I think construction is on the upward trend and even when the economy is down, the construction cost continue to rise. It will probably get harder to build decent standard houses economically in Singapore.

6 Yrs ago, is 2003, was the SARS period, and also the lowest point for the construction industry. It was also BEFORE Nicholl Highway collapse.

After that incident, BCA overhauled the entire construction industry, tightening every possible area. Scalfolding had to be licensed, no agar agar basement works, all site supervisors to be licensed, HS must now be super redundant, mandated use of precast elements, cannot work 24/7. etc. Add on to it was the shortage of raw materials like sand/ steel. Even though concrete prices have stabalised, the toughened BCA regulations are the reason why construction costs will never be like last time. This enhanced BCA regulations have not been fully implemented, so likely there are a lot more cost increases along the way.

I think I need to clarify my post, didn't know that my post will create so many doubts or issues. For $150K,$250K,$350K, yes, it only for the min. without interior design or renovation, whatever material used for interior is depend on how much the contractor/ID marking up and what u asking for. You all r posting as a home owner, contractor/ID or Architect point of view? Or u have the experience or encountered and u know the real amount or this was the amount being charged to u?

Budget bases on $450-500K, and any other ID/contractor can earn u easily $100K.

yes...i would reckon it will cost about 100k per additional level and that's only for the structural part. the asthetics part covering finishing & archi works will cost additional.....

Yes, u r right about it.