Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
zhiz

Lessons From The Id Selection Process

I approached Sky Creations as well and I don't have a good impression of them. They take a cookie cutter approach to home reno and that wasn't what I was looking for. And I think I have better colour and space sense than their "ID", who really is a sales person. Plus he kept bragging about how he had a few "ang moh" clients; like, relevance? If you're looking for a contractor, I think they're okay. But if you're looking for a designer, then I wouldn't recommend.

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request
I approached Sky Creations as well and I don't have a good impression of them. They take a cookie cutter approach to home reno and that wasn't what I was looking for. And I think I have better colour and space sense than their "ID", who really is a sales person. Plus he kept bragging about how he had a few "ang moh" clients; like, relevance? If you're looking for a contractor, I think they're okay. But if you're looking for a designer, then I wouldn't recommend.

you went to the kim keat branch? i visited them before, got to take off shoes before stepping in one.....:o ... my experience tells me the ID will first show u numerous certificates and licences and awards, proclaiming they use their own workers and own cabinet workshop, to give an advantage over others.....

Yeah I went to the kim keat branch. Do they have other branches elsewhere? Dunno why must take off shoes, maybe cuz their flooring is really low quality and will be scratched easily :P

Anyway I asked that sales person to take me to one of his client's place to inspect design and workmanship before I make a decision, which he kindly obliged. As expected the colour coordination was horrible (teal and cream, gimme a break), and workmanship isn't even that great.

But they seem to be having extremely good business... so, they must be doing something right.

Edited by january

hi YK, i wanted to:

1. change tiles for whole house..

2. Toilet walls and kitchen walls tiles also change

3. Paint whole house,

4. Build in wardrobe for 4 bedrooms

5. Add glass door on kitchen entrance

6. Kitchen cabinet set

7. Add a door on existing study room to convert it into bedroom

8. Lbox ****

9. False celling at the bedrooms (optional)

10. Cabinets in toilet

11. Glass that separate the shower area

12. TV feature wall

I gave a 30K budget cuz i dont want to be a carrot head and they just stretch all the prices even if they dont cost as much..

Ideal design quoted me 35k (without TV feature wall, L box and false ceilings, toilet cabinets)

So i suppose SC shouldnt quote me more than 40K to include the above items.

How long it normally takes from confirmation of ID to starting of Reno?

(i mean for the period where 3D drawing will be done)

Martin, I will be receiving my keys tomorrow. I have started my ID shopping 2-3 weeks ago. Invited 3 firms to quote and all almost more or less the same. (sianz half liao) Range between 50k to 55k. The items I want is as follows:-

1. change tiles for whole house.., parquet flooring for 3 bedrooms

3. Paint whole house,

4. Build in wardrobe for masterbed room and study room

5. Kitchen cabinet set with island

6. Change two toilet doors

7. Change 3 bedroom doors and main door, Main gate & Replace 4 sets of solid wood door frames

8. Lbox

9. False celling living room

10. Vanity Cabinet in toilet & 6 ft cabinet for Balcony

11. Glass screen that separate the shower area

12. 2 TV feature wall, 2 TV consoles (1 for living and another for masterbedroom)

13. 20 ft Study table (10 on top, 10 bottom)

14. Windows grille for whole hse

15. shoe cabinet

All 3 reno firms said I must either cut my items or choose cheaper materials for my items or the discount won't be much. Sigh ah...

Edited by friends78

Martin, I will be receiving my keys tomorrow. I have started my ID shopping 2-3 weeks ago. Invited 3 firms to quote and all almost more or less the same. (sianz half liao) Range between 50k to 55k. The items I want is as follows:-

1. change tiles for whole house.., parquet flooring for 3 bedrooms

3. Paint whole house,

4. Build in wardrobe for masterbed room and study room

5. Kitchen cabinet set with island

6. Change two toilet doors

7. Change 3 bedroom doors and main door, Main gate & Replace 4 sets of solid wood door frames

8. Lbox

9. False celling living room

10. Vanity Cabinet in toilet & 6 ft cabinet for Balcony

11. Glass screen that separate the shower area

12. 2 TV feature wall, 2 TV consoles (1 for living and another for masterbedroom)

13. 20 ft Study table (10 on top, 10 bottom)

14. Windows grille for whole hse

15. shoe cabinet

All 3 reno firms said I must either cut my items or choose cheaper materials for my items or the discount won't be much. Sigh ah...

huh... Only started 2-3 weeks ago? Not too late? Not in the rush of moving in is it?

I think yours can be done with <35K budget..

Weiken quoted me 44.5k for the items i want...But now the branch which gave me quotation, (tradehub21) ,their registration with HDB is suspended...

Dont know can still do reno work for me or not.. -.-!

huh... Only started 2-3 weeks ago? Not too late? Not in the rush of moving in is it?

I think yours can be done with <35K budget..

Weiken quoted me 44.5k for the items i want...But now the branch which gave me quotation, (tradehub21) ,their registration with HDB is suspended...

Dont know can still do reno work for me or not.. -.-!

Cos I engaged Fengshui master to decide most of the stuff, 3 weeks is actually more than enough. They came to take measurements (with sellers' permission), sent the quotation to me within about 5 days... then I discussed with them either by face to face or thru phone to clarify the measurements and 3 days later, revised quote... I do hope that 35k is enough but by going thru the quotations from the 3 IDs/Contractors, I think the price is very standard, 5 to 10% up down... I will more or less decide which ID either tonight or tomorrow. Really hope I can start my T-blog soon....

Edited by friends78

Any Good and responsible Ids to recommend?

My friend asked me trying to compare at least 5 ids before making decision.

at the moment, try to get quotes from few ids:

1. Weiken.com - getting quote soon

2. * - getting quote soon

3. Summit Design Studio - getting contact now

4. etc - to confirm

5. etc - to confirm

4. etc - to confirm

5. etc - to confirm

technically 5 may not be the magic number. avoid those that does a lot of advertising and appears at expo every 2 months......

technically 5 may not be the magic number. avoid those that does a lot of advertising and appears at expo every 2 months......

Gd advice!

The more advertising... the more one should be wary about... esp those who appears at expo every 2 months...

think this industry pretty much is by word of mouth, and referrals...

those with a lot of advertising/marketing... and so free to go set up stall @ expo every 2 months... probably too free le...

the gd ones would already be swarmed with jobs... and would really plan their resources to work on the referral jobs than to actively solicit.

my 2-cent.

4. etc - to confirm

5. etc - to confirm

Forget about the 1st one, it suspend by HDB at the moment

http://www.hdb.gov.sg/bn25/isos118p.nsf/Se...=15&SerVal=

hi zhiz! this is quite an old thread, but i was wondering if you could pm me the name of your id as well? i'm looking for a reno contractor but have absolutely no idea how to go about doing it. :( thanks!

i agree with what you said. i got mine thru recommendations and did quite a lot of research of my contractor such as posting questions to him. compare quotes from big and small companies and most of all the experience he pocess.

BEWARE OF RENOVATORS WHO: (from:square rooms magazine)

1. Quote without seeing the location and floor plans.

2. Require large down payments to buy materials.

3. Refuse to give you written receipts.

4. Refuse to give you detailed contract that specifies what will be done.

5. Come to your door offering special discounts because they happen to be

working in the same area.

6. Promise a discount in exchange for using your home to advertise their work.

7. Promise renovation packages with lots of freebies. Often you'll have to

stick to what they give you or top up lots to get the appliances or

materials you really want.

8. are always late for appointments or constantly distracted while discussing

your job.

Recommendation is the easiest way to get ID, BUT! keep in mind that even though this is a good way to find leads, ULTIMATELY, your choice must be a personal decision based on your own gut feel, how well the proposed design suits your needs and ease in which you can communicate with your intended designer. JUST BECAUSE THE DESIGNER WORKED WELL WITH YOUR FRIENDS OR RELATIVES, IT DOES NOT MEAN YOU WILL. Chemistry & a good fit are essential.

Always make sure your renovator knows exactly what you mean. Offer pictures as examples. When dealing with larger companies, always ensure there is only one person you need to liaise with rather than a bunch of people who can make things complicated.

Forget about the 1st one, it suspend by HDB at the moment

Suspended? Weiken is quite a big name in the ID industry isn't it? I just visited their branch at IMM, and the impression actually isn't that good..

Hey the website says it is active leh... ???

i agree with what you said. i got mine thru recommendations and did quite a lot of research of my contractor such as posting questions to him. compare quotes from big and small companies and most of all the experience he pocess.

But usually u have to walk-in or make an appt with the ID at his office/showroom on your first appt to discuss space planning and gather our requirements.. then they say they will give us a design concept and itemised quote..

So with this, how/when should we get him to do a site visit of our house? and when to request to see his recent projects? *puzzled*