Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
seashell

Opennet Cable Installation

hi all. just my 2 cents. I dont think its necessary to 'anticipate' this opennet like having those lan points with cat6 cabling to all ur rooms and paying the additional reno cost.. Coz, at the moment, the infrastructure for internet transmission is relatively fast. take the maxonline cabling for example. the only limiting speed factor are the ISPs. You pay more monthly subscriptions, u get to use the speed fully. Though, it may not be true for some cases. Also, at the moment, there are limited devices that can operate or run giga ethernet speed. If there is, its expensive and mostly not for home consumers. Unless u are doing some home trading stock market stuffs.

Another opinion is that Cat6 cable compared to Cat5e cables are more expensive. But for home use, Cat5e is sufficient already and networking latency wont be felt unless the cable is more than 100m. Also, slow speed is not due to cabling only. So why pay for Cat6 if you dont need the ultra high speed. An average family would be surfing the net, making IP phonecalls and watching IPTV.

So, this fibre to the home can only be matured in 2012 - 2014. I think for now, only Japan has fibre to the homes. Until then, equipment will be expensive and mostly not for home consumers as giga speeds are mostly in server centres.

Therefore, probably for my house reno, I will just prepare the internal cabling as shared by the OpenNet peeps to a central point where I would place my termination point and possibly connect it to a wireless router for all other devices. Its cheaper and easier setup to get a power wireless gigabit router than using rj45 faceplate (LAN points). This setup would work for most HDB owners.

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

personally, i installed lan cable thruout is not for opennet. i prefer the fixed and stable connection via a wired network. and connecting without going thru encryption ensure better connection and transfer speeds.

i chose cat6 over 5e is i prefer the network to be future proof since i may be living with this renovation and wiring for the next 10-20 years.

a wireless router may be sufficient for network distribution for opennet. but there are still advantages wired network have over wireless.

personally, i installed lan cable thruout is not for opennet. i prefer the fixed and stable connection via a wired network. and connecting without going thru encryption ensure better connection and transfer speeds.

i chose cat6 over 5e is i prefer the network to be future proof since i may be living with this renovation and wiring for the next 10-20 years.

a wireless router may be sufficient for network distribution for opennet. but there are still advantages wired network have over wireless.

Gigabit connection will be good if u are intending to implement remote streaming of HD audio/video content via NAS server, on top of the usual highspeed bandwidth-hungry applications...

Edited by neubie

When I ask a electrician for cat6 he told me cat5 is enough. Cat6 for future? So ugly he will lay cable around room. Wat market rate for each network point?

Hi,

so far the costs i gathered are:

1) Legrand faceplates with 2 gang cat6 RJ45 @ ~ $35

2) Belden cat 6 from LHS ~ $1.50/m

3) D-link/Cisco 16 port GB switch ~ $300-380

labour to install unknown yet

I bought Belden Cat6 cables from LHS at $214 (inclusive of GST) for 300 metres. I think if you don't need so much cables, a few forumers can share the cost. Belden is supposed to be a reputable brand. According to Robert Lee, the boss at LHS, he said that contractor can bend the Belden Cat6 cables without losing transmission.

For 2 Gang AMP Cat6 faceplate, inclusive of the "switch" to connect the Cat6 cables inside the faceplate is $18.75 (inclusive of GST) each. AMP is a very reputable brand and I have positive experience using the Cat6 faceplate. Can also get from LHS at Sim Lim Tower, level 2.

Cheers!

When I ask a electrician for cat6 he told me cat5 is enough. Cat6 for future? So ugly he will lay cable around room. Wat market rate for each network point?

If you are installing new cables, should go for Cat6 rather than Cat5.

The cost of each network point is not expensive but I am not sure of the labour cost to install. You can check with Opennet.

can anyone recommend electrician to install network point using cat6. I have 1 electrician just don't know how to install network point. I need 2 point. - living room and master bedroom.

can anyone recommend electrician to install network point using cat6. I have 1 electrician just don't know how to install network point. I need 2 point. - living room and master bedroom.

You may contact "Goh Lian Heng Electrical Services" and look for Jeffrey (Tel: 67659368). He did my house wiring with 2 Cat6 Lan point.

You may contact "Goh Lian Heng Electrical Services" and look for Jeffrey (Tel: 67659368). He did my house wiring with 2 Cat6 Lan point.

can u pm me the price u paying for 2 cat6 lan point?

Some updates on the OpenNet installation.

I had earlier requested them to come over my flat to do installation. As ex-owner declined installation, I got to LLST pay $220 for the installation. :(

Today the CSO called and advised me to hold back my paid installation if possible, as the RSPs (SingTel, StarHub) are going to launch their broadband services over OpenNet (appears like the RSPs have a commercial obligation to roll out in the 2nd half of 2010 onwards) and would give some good promotions on installation charges for those signing up (on contractual basis).

Was glad he was quite upfront with this, as he does not wish paying customers to feel ripped-off when RSPs are launching their services with discounted installation deals. :D

Typical installation of the fibre termination box would be near to the SCV TV point. He mentioned something about OpenNet unable to support HDTV content, so high chance of falling back to SCV for that.

Edited by neubie

Some updates on the OpenNet installation.

I had earlier requested them to come over my flat to do installation. As ex-owner declined installation, I got to LLST pay $220 for the installation. :(

Today the CSO called and advised me to hold back my paid installation if possible, as the RSPs (SingTel, StarHub) are going to launch their broadband services over OpenNet (appears like the RSPs have a commercial obligation to roll out in the 2nd half of 2010 onwards) and would give some good promotions on installation charges for those signing up (on contractual basis).

Was glad he was quite upfront with this, as he does not wish paying customers to feel ripped-off when RSPs are launching their services with discounted installation deals. :D

Typical installation of the fibre termination box would be near to the SCV TV point. He mentioned something about OpenNet unable to support HDTV content, so high chance of falling back to SCV for that.

wow. higher bandwidth and unable to support hdtv?

Not cheap too...thought supposed to be a cheaper & faster network...

Not to worry…there'll be pricewar once other rsp start selling their packages…