Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
seashell

Opennet Cable Installation

SingTel launches comprehensive suite of entertainment, convergence and

productivity applications on high-speed fibre services

Singapore, 31 August 2010 - Singapore Telecommunications Limited (SingTel) is

pleased to announce today that it will be offering a comprehensive suite of affordable

consumer and business applications on its high-speed fibre services to retail

customers. SingTel will also offer carriage-based high-speed fibre services on a

wholesale basis to retail service providers (RSPs).

SingTel harnesses capabilities of NGNBN and its own fibre networks

Leveraging the Next Generation National Broadband Network (NGNBN) deployed by

OpenNet and SingTel’s own extensive fibre infrastructure, SingTel will provide

unparalleled service quality and speeds to both retail customers and wholesale to

RSPs. Customers can look forward to a range of high-speed fibre services with

downlink speeds of up to 200Mbps, uplink speeds of up to 100Mbps and international

bandwidth of up to 25Mbps. SingTel’s fibre network is scalable and capable of

providing even higher speeds in the future to meet the needs of our retail and

wholesale customers.

Mr Allen Lew, CEO Singapore, SingTel, said: “The availability of an ultra high-speed

fibre network through the NGNBN and our own fibre infrastructure presents SingTel

with significant opportunities to break new grounds in terms of service innovation and

value creation. We will leverage our reputation of a reliable network operator, astute

customer insights and an effective partner ecosystem to deliver personalised

customer-centric applications, which will pique the imagination of consumers and

increase the productivity of businesses.

“These distinctive applications which focus on entertainment, convergence and

productivity enhancement will ensure that SingTel continues to not only lead but shape

the digital media and ICT market in Singapore.”

In the retail space, SingTel will also further its transformation into a leading multimedia

and ICT services provider, with a suite of breakthrough services for its consumer and

business customers to be introduced later in September this year.

Consumers stay connected and entertained 24/7

SingTel will launch a high-speed fibre service, known as exStream, with downlink

speeds of up to 200Mbps. Customers can choose from three new packages which are

designed with relevant applications, and with consumers’ needs in mind to enhance

their lifestyles at work, at home and at play.

With the exPress portal, customers can freely express their personalities as well as

stay closer to their loved ones anytime, anywhere. They will enjoy features like unified

messaging, online storage and sharing of multimedia content and high quality multi-

party video chat.

With unified messaging, customers have single access to multiple social networking

sites and enjoy chat aggregation. They can customise their exPress homescreen for

easy access to their favourite multimedia content like news, videos, music etc – all on

a single online web portal.

With the exCite service, customers can experience the world’s best video search

engine allowing customers to find the widest range of online video content and stream

them smoothly from sites like YouTube and Tudou. Customers can create their own

entertainment channel and experience limitless internet content, right from their TV

screen. exCite also gives customers access to Singapore’s first TV Apps Store,

starting with a catalogue of over 30 TV games. The Store is based on an open TV

platform enabling developers to easily create exciting applications. A gesture-based

remote control and predictive text searches in English and Chinese offer easier

navigation.

With exCite Home and exPlore Home bundled plans, customers will be the first in

Singapore to watch pay TV programmes through fibre, while enjoying the benefits of

the high-speed fibre services like the exPress portal. exPlore Home Sports also

combines the best of mio TV Sports package, including the interactive applications

with the high-speed fibre access as an integrated plan.

From 1 September 2010, customers can register their interest for the high-speed fibre

services at www.singtel.com/exstream.

Businesses to exploit full potential of Managed Services and Cloud Solutions

SingTel will introduce eVolve, a new fibre solution for businesses. Built on SingTel’s

wholly owned and managed infrastructure, eVolve will only carry business traffic for

quality and performance that businesses rely on. eVolve complements SingTel’s

existing suite of fibre services, providing Small and Medium Enterprises (SMEs) with

unprecedented price performance.

Businesses can leverage SingTel’s high-speed fibre services to access its suite of

Managed Services and Cloud Solutions. These services open up new possibilities for

companies to improve productivity and scale their operations cost effectively to meet

changing business demands.

SingTel’s Cloud Solutions include on-demand computing services and productivity

software such as SingTel ONEOffice, online storage and real-time back-up

capabilities, and high quality video and data collaboration services. These services

offer the benefits of ICT on a subscription basis, without heavy upfront investments in

infrastructure.

With SingTel as their trusted business partner, businesses can have peace of mind

and enjoy a one-stop ICT experience.

ST.gif

Edited by neubie

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

Not too late for discount

HOMEOWNERS who had earlier turned down an offer to cable up their homes for free might get a second, albeit smaller, bite at the apple.

At the press conference where it announced its new broadband services on Tuesday, SingTel said that OpenNet will offer a discount to homeowners who had previously rejected its offer to wire up their homes but have since changed their minds.

OpenNet, the company contracted to lay the fibre-optic network, had seen rejection rates as high as 50 per cent when asking homeowners to allow its contractors into their homes.

Inside, its workers would install the cabling and network equipment that would let them sign up for services like those announced by SuperInternet, M1 and SingTel on Tuesday.

Homeowners who said no previously, however, would no longer qualify for a free connection, although they would pay less than the $220 OpenNet was initially planning to charge for such cases, said SingTel chief executive for Singapore Allen Lew.

Faster, cheaper broadband

SINGAPORE'S next-generation broadband network is finally here, and the entry of three new Internet service providers (ISPs) has shaken up the hitherto sleepy broadband market.

On Tuesday, M1, SuperInternet and LGA Telecoms announced that they would launch high-end broadband plans offering speeds of at least 100Mbps.

These plans, equivalent or faster than previous top-of-the-line packages from incumbents SingTel or StarHub, offer more than merely speedier surfing - they make possible new services like high-definition video conferencing and 3D video-on-demand movies, which were not possible before.

SuperInternet's offering will cost just $50 a month, the company's managing director Benjamin Tan said.

Meanwhile, M1 is offering its 100Mbps service at $59 a month. Consumers unsure about what the new service can give them can sign up for a free three-month trial on Wednesday at M1 shops.

By comparison, a similar-speed service from StarHub costs $87 a month. LGC Telecoms will also be launching high-speed packages next month. It declined to reveal details other than to say they will be very competitively priced.

i called the openNet, they say to avoid surface trunking, there are steps to follow BEFORE installing the ceiling n carpentry... think mine also abit too late.. :( my ceiling already UP

oh crap, my ceiling is already up too.. but at least i'm not doing feature wall yet. nevermind ba, i'll just ask my contractor to touchup a bit and paint up. see how it goes.

Business Times 01 Sept 2010

(SINGAPORE) Local telcos SingTel, StarHub and M1 are taking their bitter rivalry from this generation to the next in a services showdown on Singapore's next information superhighway.

The country's new fibre-optic backbone opens for business today and the three telcos will go head-to-head on an entire spectrum of new ultra high-speed broadband packages for consumers and businesses.

The first salvo under Singapore's new era of broadband competition was fired by SingTel yesterday morning with the unveiling of new offerings that take advantage of the massive speed boost that comes with the arrival of pervasive fibre-optic rollout.

M1 followed suit later in the day and StarHub is expected to do so tomorrow.

SingTel also laid months of speculation to rest by announcing plans to compete with StarHub in a third segment - the wholesaling of fibre-optic bandwidth to other players that are keen to offer Internet-related services to local customers.

By dipping its toes into this market, SingTel will be competing directly with StarHub subsidiary Nucleus Connect.

Until yesterday, Nucleus Connect is the only so-called operating company (OpCo) that was sanctioned to resell ultra high-speed bandwidth packages to other Internet service providers on Singapore's government-backed fibre-optic network.

It received a $250 million subsidy from the Infocomm Development Authority of Singapore (IDA) to help defray its set-up costs.

In return, Nucleus Connect has to play by a strict set of government rules including providing transparent and non-discriminatory pricing to all buyers. In addition, the firm has to be run independently from its parent StarHub as part of IDA's operational separation mandate.

However, this separation requirement does not apply to SingTel as the firm is not the government-anointed OpCo, according to its Singapore chief Allen Lew.

Exemption from these government rules also means that SingTel could potentially offer discounts or rebates instead of having to abide by the IDA's equal pricing policy.

In addition, SingTel will also be using its own fibre-optic pipes on top of the ones that are run by Nucleus Connect.

The company plans to use its own fibre-optic backbone to provide connectivity to commercial customers and rely on Nucleus Connect's infrastructure for the consumer segment only, Mr Lew told reporters at a media briefing yesterday.

Some 4,000 commercial buildings will be wired up with SingTel's fibre-optic links by this November, including 1,500 that are predominantly used by small businesses, the firm revealed.

'We've been expecting it (SingTel's plan to wholesale fibre-optic bandwidth). When you have discriminatory pricing, and you have to go in to negotiate, it's a long and tough process,' Nucleus Connect chief David Storrie told reporters at a separate media briefing yesterday evening.

'With our model, it's clear what you'll get,' he stressed, adding that the firm would consider adjusting its pricing to remain competitive.

Five companies have already committed to buying bandwidth from Nucleus Connect. These include the three existing telcos, as well as homegrown communications firms SuperInternet and LGA Telecom.

More could sign up when the fibre-optic network is fully completed in two years' time, he added.

Some 40 per cent of local households are already wired up with fibre-optics and nationwide rollout is set to be completed by end 2012.

'I think the number of five we have will grow. Interested parties, especially overseas operators, say they will be back when coverage is complete,' Mr Storrie said.

On the consumer front, SingTel raised the game with four new consumer plans that promise to double access speeds by charging slightly more than what StarHub charges for its highest-end broadband package today.

By paying $95.90, consumers can enjoy download speeds of 200 Mbps (megabits per second), twice as fast as its rival's 100Mbps plan, which is priced at $86.88.

Besides allowing speedier movie streaming and music downloads, the company also offers increased uplink speeds of up to 100Mbps. This means that users can upload high-resolution pictures and videos at a fraction of the time of what it would have taken them with today's cable broadband and ADSL (asymmetric digital subscriber line) broadband packages.

In addition, SingTel is bundling other perks such as high-definition video chats and free Web-based storage and even free movies. Soccer fans can enjoy their Barclays Premier League fix along with their new high-speed broadband plan for $109.90.

'Fibre is just the basic hygiene factor to get into the home. Offering pure access services doesn't really make sense,' said SingTel's Mr Lew. The company is also offering a lower-end 150Mbps plan for $85.90 monthly.

M1 has claimed the mantle of offering Singapore's fastest broadband plan for now at 1Gbps (gigabit per second), five times the speed of SingTel's latest offering. However, users will have to pay a monthly fee of $399 to enjoy the speed boost.

At the same time, Singapore's smallest operator hopes to offer consumers more bang for their broadband buck with a range of lower speed plans, including one which offers 100Mbps download speeds for $59 a month.

However, M1's speed advantage is expected to be short-lived as StarHub could match the offer by as early as tomorrow.

'Incumbents are likely to sell FTTH (fibre-to- the-home) services as faster speeds and pricing is likely to be lower if you compare on a cost per bps basis. I think it will take some time for the FTTH services to become mainstream,' said telecommunications consultant Soh Siow Meng.

personally, i installed lan cable thruout is not for opennet. i prefer the fixed and stable connection via a wired network. and connecting without going thru encryption ensure better connection and transfer speeds.

i chose cat6 over 5e is i prefer the network to be future proof since i may be living with this renovation and wiring for the next 10-20 years.

a wireless router may be sufficient for network distribution for opennet. but there are still advantages wired network have over wireless.

U shld have chosen Cat 7, din u know its already available?

Pun intended.

I miss this first installation for the opennet. Write in to appeal. They agree to arrange another round for those who miss the first round. This is what they reply.

Thank you for your email.

Your details have already been logged in our system. Due to your unique circumstances. We will arrange a separate run of installation and are in the midst of finalizing the exact dates. However, this will only take place in approximately 3-12 months time. Once the schedule for the 2nd run is firmed up, we will proceed to contact you to arrange for an appointment.

Rest assured that we have your details in our database and the waiver still stands

OpenNet Customer Service Officer

Edited by Warrior88

waaa! you are lucky.

I'm getting my house this nov'10. but the previous owner never apply for the free initial rollout installation. so, i wrote in and explained. but no luck.

What is your mentioned circumtances?

u guys still got write in to appeal ah?

i just called them and arranged for them to come and install during my reno. need to pay 200+. but at least i get it done immediately. dun want to wait 3-12mths. especially after everything's built-in and all my trunking is concealed by cabinets and feature wall.

u guys still got write in to appeal ah?

i just called them and arranged for them to come and install during my reno. need to pay 200+. but at least i get it done immediately. dun want to wait 3-12mths. especially after everything's built-in and all my trunking is concealed by cabinets and feature wall.

they will bill owners at a later date... i just had mine done up yesterday.... not really worth to wait for the free/discounted installation at the cost of opening & damaging false ceilings & dirtying the interior...penny wise pound foolish. :unsure:

Edited by neubie

they will bill owners at a later date... i just had mine done up yesterday.... not really worth to wait for the free/discounted installation at the cost of opening & damaging false ceilings & dirtying the interior...penny wise pound foolish. :unsure:

just got mine installed last week... if they agreed on your appeal for the waiver, they will check a box "fee waived for 1st installation" on the receipt and they won't bill you later ;)

they told us they will come 2 yrs after we wrote in, end up they came within 3 months :)

if you dun plan to hide the trunking in the false ceiling, then can afford to wait :P

just got mine installed last week... if they agreed on your appeal for the waiver, they will check a box "fee waived for 1st installation" on the receipt and they won't bill you later ;)

they told us they will come 2 yrs after we wrote in, end up they came within 3 months :)

if you dun plan to hide the trunking in the false ceiling, then can afford to wait :P

2 years after wrote in? If they dare to say that to me...I will directly talk to their GM liao :rolleyes: !

2 years after wrote in? If they dare to say that to me...I will directly talk to their GM liao :rolleyes: !

haha the explanation is... our neigbhouring block will only be wired up in 2012. since we are writing in to appeal for free installation, we can't complain much, rite? :lol: