Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
seashell

Opennet Cable Installation

oh crap, my ceiling is already up too.. but at least i'm not doing feature wall yet. nevermind ba, i'll just ask my contractor to touchup a bit and paint up. see how it goes.

PM me for fibre ready infrastucture or call 97881177

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation
Called them when my electrical work is in progress, they told me that they will only do it again Feb 2011, and will cost me $220 :-(

that's not all.... yours is an ad-hoc case which they called fibre-reached but not commissioned.... so don't assume after fixing up u can immediately subscribe for fibre BB as they will need another few months for backend testing ( i tink after backend testing they will bill u) which cannot be expedited (as their backend schedule is longer than MRT line) :(

Problem for me is that my reno all done... did not think of this. Actually i dun mind a trunking from ceiling to suspend console but then if they have to go thru scv point(mine is hidden in console) then problem liao...don't tell me need to do a hole in console.. :(

Let me solve your problem, we could conceal the optic fiber cable up to the FTP Box. PM me or call 97881177

I made a call today. $235.40 coz previous owner did not opt for it. Estimated appointment date is March 2011. By then reno already completed..!

Mine lagi best... Told us within 6 mths, which was supposed to be in Nov 2010 (past liao).. End up when I e-mail them to ask in Oct, they gave me lame excuses and "apologise", say wait another 6 mths.. :curse: Told my hubby if by then still drag somemore, will juz tell them to go to **** wif the fiber optic.. :horse:

Hi,

I hv just had the installation done last saturday. The installation supervisor told us I can subscribe to brandband by early Jan 2011. But I just called up opennet and they said it takes 6 to 8 weeks.

Anyone who has already subscribed to optic fibre broadband? pls share your experience. I am moving into the new house and I cannot imagine without internet for 2 months!

thanks!

Hi,

I hv just had the installation done last saturday. The installation supervisor told us I can subscribe to brandband by early Jan 2011. But I just called up opennet and they said it takes 6 to 8 weeks.

Anyone who has already subscribed to optic fibre broadband? pls share your experience. I am moving into the new house and I cannot imagine without internet for 2 months!

thanks!

we already have the installation done but don't plan to take up optic fiber plan cos it's quite expensive.

you can still subscribe to normal home broadband... so you can get internet access immediately mah :) unless you really need the high speed from the new opennet~

we already have the installation done but don't plan to take up optic fiber plan cos it's quite expensive.

you can still subscribe to normal home broadband... so you can get internet access immediately mah :) unless you really need the high speed from the new opennet~

Thanks for the advice :-)

I will most likely take up a cheap non-frills plan in the interim. I jv just confirmed with M1 and starhub that it is possible to switch to a more expensive plan later on, but lock-in period starts from day of conversion.

hi guys,

wanna check about the opennet installation. As I am already in themidst of my reno.....where should i cater my opennet socket to be?

does it neccessarily have to be near the existing tv point?

or is it enuff to be simply near my existing lan socket?

future tv set top box have to be connected to this modem rather than the existing tel line or tv socket?

kindly advice thanks!

hi guys,

wanna check about the opennet installation. As I am already in themidst of my reno.....where should i cater my opennet socket to be?

does it neccessarily have to be near the existing tv point?

or is it enuff to be simply near my existing lan socket?

future tv set top box have to be connected to this modem rather than the existing tel line or tv socket?

kindly advice thanks!

OpenNet recommends the location of the fibre termination point (TP) to be located (1) near the CATV point and (2) near unused 13A power point.

What happens is once the TP is installed there, u will need a Optical Network Terminal (ONT) to be connected to this TP. This ONT requires power to operate. Also, some service providers will also provide a Residential Gateway (RG) which is essentially a wireless router with telephone point. RG will also require power to operate. So one of the connection is as follows:

OpenNet TP <----> ONT <----> RG <----> 4 x LAN outputs

or if u have your own wireless router and dun want the telephone point,

OpenNet TP <----> ONT <----> 4 x LAN outputs

As u can see, i dunno why OpenNet requires installation of the TP near CATV, since the 2 are entirely separate.

OpenNet recommends the location of the fibre termination point (TP) to be located (1) near the CATV point and (2) near unused 13A power point.

What happens is once the TP is installed there, u will need a Optical Network Terminal (ONT) to be connected to this TP. This ONT requires power to operate. Also, some service providers will also provide a Residential Gateway (RG) which is essentially a wireless router with telephone point. RG will also require power to operate. So one of the connection is as follows:

OpenNet TP <----> ONT <----> RG <----> 4 x LAN outputs

or if u have your own wireless router and dun want the telephone point,

OpenNet TP <----> ONT <----> 4 x LAN outputs

As u can see, i dunno why OpenNet requires installation of the TP near CATV, since the 2 are entirely separate.

just to share some experience, for discussion purpose (i dunno much about technical matters regarding opennet, all experts please feel free to contribute your opinion :)):

at parents' place back in my home town, they are having optic fiber connection for both internet and TV. even since they have this installed, the TV will hang when changing channels too fast... gotta switch off and on it again to get it to work :huh:

so my father checked with the provider. their explanation is that, the distance between the termination point to TV is far and with too many bends on the cable. therefore, data transmission to the TV is disrupted and hence it hangs. (we have ~6 to 7 bends from the termination point to the TV due to the layout of my parents' home, btw)

so maybe that's why Opennet recommends to place termination point near TV.... :P

just to share some experience, for discussion purpose (i dunno much about technical matters regarding opennet, all experts please feel free to contribute your opinion :)):

at parents' place back in my home town, they are having optic fiber connection for both internet and TV. even since they have this installed, the TV will hang when changing channels too fast... gotta switch off and on it again to get it to work :huh:

so my father checked with the provider. their explanation is that, the distance between the termination point to TV is far and with too many bends on the cable. therefore, data transmission to the TV is disrupted and hence it hangs. (we have ~6 to 7 bends from the termination point to the TV due to the layout of my parents' home, btw)

so maybe that's why Opennet recommends to place termination point near TV.... :P

hmmm, is ur parents' place TV provided by the fiber optic? as far as I know, mioTV is using telephone line and SCV are using their coax cable. if really due to multiple bends, even dun change channels, there will be intermittent freezing of images, so i tink the provider is pulling a fast one on u. it maybe the set-top box having some problems......anyway, if the connection point is provided by their authorized contractor, ask them to get it checked and rectified.

I made a call today. $235.40 coz previous owner did not opt for it. Estimated appointment date is March 2011. By then reno already completed..!

Sad, I got the same issus like you. Pervious owner did not opt for free installation and I write in to appeal but got rejected by them so no choice got to pay for the TP installation which cost me $235.40 including GST. It already been a few month since the installation but till now they still doing the so call "Backend check". :rolleyes: Wasted a trip to M1 and was told their system dun have my record :bangwall: Somemore I call 1627 and told that can apply for fibre plan already before going down. :deal: Few day ago just received Opennet billing letter and hopefully I can start to apply for fibre service from ISP after the payment. :unsure:

Edited by davidbslee

hmmm, is ur parents' place TV provided by the fiber optic? as far as I know, mioTV is using telephone line and SCV are using their coax cable. if really due to multiple bends, even dun change channels, there will be intermittent freezing of images, so i tink the provider is pulling a fast one on u. it maybe the set-top box having some problems......anyway, if the connection point is provided by their authorized contractor, ask them to get it checked and rectified.

as i mentioned, it's in my hometown... so it's not in Singapore :P our TV is provided via fiber optic, similar to Opennet's concept of having TV and internet from the same point.

nah, they came down to check and tried to rectify, but that's the final verdict they gave~ :o but i heard this from my father.. so it also could be that he couldn't understand their explanation fully :P

i'm trying to relate this experience to several Opennet guidelines like having big bending radius, install termination point near TV etc... but i m not sure of the technical background behind these recommendations.

Edited by marshmallow