Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
bigeyedfish

Second Time Lucky

Plucking up the courage to actually share my soon-to-commence renovation on our recently acquired house. An EA in Bukit Panjang. We took onto reading the forum to learn about renovation. Really love looking at all the lovely houses in t-blog. Reminded me of extreme makeover (home edition) where the homes were transformed.

Here's the layout. Floor area is 142sqm.

4130536195_706799e886.jpg

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation
Hello and welcome! :) Looking forward to your updates!

Thank you

Here's roughly what have been discussed between the project manager (nicer name for contractor) and us.

4131365642_890d3b99c3.jpg

We went to about 8 IDs for quotations before selecting this particular firm to do our renovation. As for today, reno works have not started because we have yet to sign on the dotted line. Hubby is meeting them tomorrow and we hope our reno permit and hacking works will be approved by the time we come back from our holiday.

The IDs that we went to

1) Kitchen Zone

2) Innerview

3) UHome

4) Chew

5) Plus Interior

6) Strategic Trends

7) Ideal House

8) B**** (the chosen one)

We're choosing not to disclose their name yet because honestly, I haven't found any post about them as yet and it was the 1st time I have heard of them. If our reno goes on smoothly, we will have no qualms recommending them. Just going with our gut feeling here. Actually it was a close shave between Chew and Strategic Trends before B**** came into the picture.

Roughly here's what we are going to do for this house

- Demolish half of kitchen wall

- Change door positions for storeroom and toilet 2

- Demolish door and lourve windows to service balcony

- Demolish kitchen cabinets

- Install new grilles for bedrooms, study, balcony and service balcony (no $$ to change whole house window :( )

- Repolish timber flooring

- New floor and wall tiles for toilets, kitchen and service balcony

- New toilet fittings and accessories

- Remove 4 aircons and compressor/ trunking

- Simple cornice to living/ study

- Wardrobe in masterbedroom

- Paint

Most IDs quoted us between 23k - 28k (mostly within our budget)

This one would be around 25k.

Hello everyone, thanks for the welcome.

The thing that attracted us (me especially) to the place is the spacious living room and the timber strip flooring.

Here are some pre-reno pics.

4126921854_7e43c2321f.jpg

Living/dining/balcony

4126150085_716729d494.jpg

The kitchen which has to go

4126153415_1484b1f8eb.jpg

Master bedroom toilet in very original condition

4126155143_9052c142a0.jpg

Common toilet

4126926618_f61c5b90ce.jpg

Master bedroom

The rest of the rooms are basically the same. No built-ins so pretty much plain walls and timber flooring.

Right now, based on the proposed layout, I'm wondering whether the kitchen cabinet will provide enough storage space. Appreciate inputs. Thanks :D

Hello everyone, thanks for the welcome.

The thing that attracted us (me especially) to the place is the spacious living room and the timber strip flooring.

Here are some pre-reno pics.

4126921854_7e43c2321f.jpg

Living/dining/balcony

4126150085_716729d494.jpg

The kitchen which has to go

4126153415_1484b1f8eb.jpg

Master bedroom toilet in very original condition

4126155143_9052c142a0.jpg

Common toilet

4126926618_f61c5b90ce.jpg

Master bedroom

The rest of the rooms are basically the same. No built-ins so pretty much plain walls and timber flooring.

Right now, based on the proposed layout, I'm wondering whether the kitchen cabinet will provide enough storage space. Appreciate inputs. Thanks :D

Hi bigeyedfish,

Welcome!

Wahaa....nice big place you've got here....uhmmm...planning for simple reno, since the condition is tsill very good(except maybe the tiolets)...?

Cheers!

:yamseng:

Wow and welcome. Your EA is as big as my EM :D

I think whether enough storage space will depends on how much junk you are going to keep. From my experience only about 50% is actively being used. Most active and these will be cluster around your sink and stove are:

- storage for pots and pans

- cutleries and crockeries

- condiments

- dry goods

The rest is just to keep items that you use occasionally. Bearing that in mind you can keep them elsewhere if you run out of space. Example is that i have a 3ft double door section of the cabinet is used just to store milk powder for my son. I put it there cause there is space, else store room is ok.

Happy Planning :)

Hi bigeyedfish,

Welcome!

Wahaa....nice big place you've got here....uhmmm...planning for simple reno, since the condition is tsill very good(except maybe the tiolets)...?

Cheers!

:yamseng:

Thanks CJREDDEVIL.

Yup, simple reno. Basically it's just the toilets, kitchen and service balcony. But add here and there amounts to nearly 27k and I didn't even get to change all my windows :(

Bo pian if not overbudget already.

Wow and welcome. Your EA is as big as my EM :D

I think whether enough storage space will depends on how much junk you are going to keep. From my experience only about 50% is actively being used. Most active and these will be cluster around your sink and stove are:

- storage for pots and pans

- cutleries and crockeries

- condiments

- dry goods

The rest is just to keep items that you use occasionally. Bearing that in mind you can keep them elsewhere if you run out of space. Example is that i have a 3ft double door section of the cabinet is used just to store milk powder for my son. I put it there cause there is space, else store room is ok.

Happy Planning :)

I love EMs. However DH doesn't like because he is afraid his boys will tumble down the stairs. We viewed 1 EM but location was not very good.

We don't really store much things actually. Only that, at first I thought it would be a waste of space not extending the kitchen cabinet to L shape.