Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
wj888

Dakota Crescent

Just checked BCA and the developer just requested for site inspection, which means TOP is not far away , possibly in a month?

So, I will be starting my renoblog to journal the process and get inputs from the season pros here.

Here's my proposed layout to maximize space.. Too much bay windows and useless household shelter, though the balconies are great! :)

MyLayout.jpg

Things to do currently :-

1) Get Fengshui Master - Currently Master Chang(of fengshuiyinyang.com) seems to get good reviews. But downside is he gives funny and impractical layout from the reviews I read. Also, need to have fengshui done before I can asked ID to design the layout. BUT... Master Chang only do on-site planning. So, means I will need to delay looking for an ID till my apartment TOP.

2) Get ID - This needs to be done after Fengshui audit. Also, have to get exact measurements since my floorplan do not have any measurements.

Question Time :

1) Can ID do design without input from fengshui master and also with a floorplan without measurements (Apart from the fact the apt is 1830sqft).

2) Any other good Fengshui master? Seems like only good reviews here are for Master Chang, the rest cannot make it.

3) Am I too eager in the planning process since the key to the apt might be handed to me only in July/Aug this year.

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request
Just checked BCA and the developer just requested for site inspection, which means TOP is not far away , possibly in a month?

So, I will be starting my renoblog to journal the process and get inputs from the season pros here.

Here's my proposed layout to maximize space.. Too much bay windows and useless household shelter, though the balconies are great! :)

MyLayout.jpg

Things to do currently :-

1) Get Fengshui Master - Currently Master Chang(of fengshuiyinyang.com) seems to get good reviews. But downside is he gives funny and impractical layout from the reviews I read. Also, need to have fengshui done before I can asked ID to design the layout. BUT... Master Chang only do on-site planning. So, means I will need to delay looking for an ID till my apartment TOP.

2) Get ID - This needs to be done after Fengshui audit. Also, have to get exact measurements since my floorplan do not have any measurements.

Question Time :

1) Can ID do design without input from fengshui master and also with a floorplan without measurements (Apart from the fact the apt is 1830sqft).

2) Any other good Fengshui master? Seems like only good reviews here are for Master Chang, the rest cannot make it.

3) Am I too eager in the planning process since the key to the apt might be handed to me only in July/Aug this year.

Congrats!, BK88=WJ888? U are referring to Dakota Residences. Waterbank@ Dakota is just beside under construction.

- A good start already won half the battle. Do not let yr enthu die down.

- Did commented something about the Geylang River, especially the sharp turn at waterbank.

- Both also good location. Area also allow high-rise.

Edited by bepgof

i got my design out before my fengshui audit. This is done after i called master long and he told me to go ahead with the planning. When he came to audit. I asked my id along and they sort things out among themselves. But almost everything that was planned does not affect my house's fengshui

The developers usually only give you the detailed unit floor plans on keys handover. Also, there may also be rectifications you want the developer to fix eg leaking sink, damaged tiles, chipped glass etc

But from the preliminary floor plans, you can still estimate the measurements from there and can already get preliminary quotations from the IDs. You can also start doing your lighting plans. Any plans to do any ceiling works ? Laminate or cushions to your bay windows or having study tables over the bay window ?

Once you get the detailed floor plans, study the electrical, water pipe and gas plans carefully and see where they are concealed. The contractors sometimes drill at places they shouldnt.

You apartment is big and i like the attached bathrooms for the other bedroom too ...

Edited by blueocean

Bepgof,

Yup, it's a Dakota Residences 4 bedder. Who's BK888?

What's up with the sharp turn? :) I understand fengshui should be alright for those facing parallel to the river.

Oh? You mean there might be high-rise opposite Dakota Residences and Waterbank? Well, hard to escape in singapore, every 5 yrs, you will get blocked by someone taller and bigger :) .. that's why only those at Meyer Road and Tanjong Rhu facing the sea is commanding higher psf. But at the expense of road noise and traffic pollution. Anyway, when the time comes, it may be a good time to "upgrade" (subject to affordability :P) - My dream of a 3000-4000sqft penthouse in the sky with seaview.

wolflet,

Oh ok. I haven't called master long yet as Master chang review's here tempt me much. :) Machiam all done by him also live good life..

Hmm, Bringing the fengshui master and ID together sounds like a good idea. I will see whether Master chang agree to this or not. Just afraid the ID will be **** pek-chek with Master Chang if he starts giving weird placement instructions ..haha

blueocean,

ok, probably I will start with selecting the ID and finalising the design. The questions about the design, uh.. I haven't thought of it that much, I was just interested to see how much I can squeezed in with my layout :). The ID should be "inspired" to do the design without much input from me right? :) Can i just tell her/him I want feel something like this...

Toilet%20Lightning%20and%20Feel.jpg

Ok, noted about preventing the contractors from having the "got wall , i will drill" mentality... It would be terrible if they drilled into concealed pipes and wirings! >:(

New apartments are smaller even if the sqft stated is bigger. Imo, we are actually paying for useless floorspace. I believe 10-15% is allocated to useless baywindows and planters. So if 1830sqft, it is actually around 1555sqf of useable space. If I were to compare, nothing beats the olden days HDB which looks big and feels big when they are having only 1200-1400sqft. :) Solid walls all round too! :) New condos all cut corners one... got those cheapo walls in between bedrooms. Anyway, I like the area for its convenience, even if it's Geylang district. The MRT, hawker center, ntuc, etc etc is just 200-300meters away. Probably can get a HDB there but..keke.. I'm a HDB upgrader mah.

366ded1439692_1_V550.jpg

Edited by wj888

Hey ...

It is nice to be able to get the keys to a brand new condo soon ! How's the car parking there like ? The other condo being build next to yours has 10% less parking spaces compared to the number of apartment.

It depends on what sort of ID you are talking about. There are some who are "pseudo-ID" which is generally those that you see commonly. These are actually general contractors with a retail storefront and they offer "design" and "build" contracts. The bigger ones have a in-house ID that will do the 2D drawings whilst some will outsource the 3D perspective to 3rd party. Some "recycle" the 3D perspectives and just change the colour/laminates ...

The real ID usually charge a design fee of a few thousand dollars (for the good ones). And they can also help you to co-ordinate and "build" if required. These IDs would be able to come up with an original design ...

It depends on how much your budget is. For me, i like to explore and do up my own designs - look through magazines, internet etc and do my own 3Ds. And so i usually tell the general contractor what i want. Generally, it is important to do your own preparation studies else you will get "smoked" by the contractors ;)

The reason why i mention about the "drilling" part is my contractor drilled into the water pipe although i gave him all the plans. In retrospect, i should have labeled with a red tape all the hidden pipes !

Yup. Bay windows will be a thing of the past nowadays as it no longer is excluded from the developers' GFA.

ok, probably I will start with selecting the ID and finalising the design. The questions about the design, uh.. I haven't thought of it that much, I was just interested to see how much I can squeezed in with my layout :). The ID should be "inspired" to do the design without much input from me right? :) Can i just tell her/him I want feel something like this...

Ok, noted about preventing the contractors from having the "got wall , i will drill" mentality... It would be terrible if they drilled into concealed pipes and wirings! >:(

New apartments are smaller even if the sqft stated is bigger. Imo, we are actually paying for useless floorspace. I believe 10-15% is allocated to useless baywindows and planters. So if 1830sqft, it is actually around 1555sqf of useable space. If I were to compare, nothing beats the olden days HDB which looks big and feels big when they are having only 1200-1400sqft. :) Solid walls all round too! :) New condos all cut corners one... got those cheapo walls in between bedrooms. Anyway, I like the area for its convenience, even if it's Geylang district. The MRT, hawker center, ntuc, etc etc is just 200-300meters away. Probably can get a HDB there but..keke.. I'm a HDB upgrader mah.

Hey ...

It is nice to be able to get the keys to a brand new condo soon ! How's the car parking there like ? The other condo being build next to yours has 10% less parking spaces compared to the number of apartment.

It depends on what sort of ID you are talking about. There are some who are "pseudo-ID" which is generally those that you see commonly. These are actually general contractors with a retail storefront and they offer "design" and "build" contracts. The bigger ones have a in-house ID that will do the 2D drawings whilst some will outsource the 3D perspective to 3rd party. Some "recycle" the 3D perspectives and just change the colour/laminates ...

The real ID usually charge a design fee of a few thousand dollars (for the good ones). And they can also help you to co-ordinate and "build" if required. These IDs would be able to come up with an original design ...

It depends on how much your budget is. For me, i like to explore and do up my own designs - look through magazines, internet etc and do my own 3Ds. And so i usually tell the general contractor what i want. Generally, it is important to do your own preparation studies else you will get "smoked" by the contractors ;)

The reason why i mention about the "drilling" part is my contractor drilled into the water pipe although i gave him all the plans. In retrospect, i should have labeled with a red tape all the hidden pipes !

Yup. Bay windows will be a thing of the past nowadays as it no longer is excluded from the developers' GFA.

Congrats! I was at their launch - was itching to commit to a 2 bedder but din!

Cheers

Hey ...

Yes, it is a 1:1 allocation for carpark. But I guess I there will be empty slots since i doubt alot of the residents will be driving with the MRT 300meters away. So, additional slots might be up for grabs! :) I need another 2.

Ya, I just went to the Design expo and I roughly have a feel of who is a sales, who is a designer, who is a contractor after talking to them. But I don't like to pay a designer a huge fee just to design when I don't even know whether he is good or not.

Congrats! I was at their launch - was itching to commit to a 2 bedder but din!

Cheers

So where did you finally found your dream home? :) Waterbank next to it?

Anyway, this condo is good for those HDB upgraders who still want HDB amenities (like Hawker,7-11,NTUC, Neighbourhood GP) and MRT.

If not, I think you will like those around East Coast park/MArine Parade area as it is all condos and not much HDB around. More "Atas"..

Thanks for sharing !

I have been to the Expo and explored the various "ID"s in the past and it is so **** tiring repeating the same thing over and over again.

Each company has various sales and design co-ordinators but the problem is that you can only speak to one of them at each time. So if you happen to get a newbie or rogue design co-ordinators, i wonder whether can change the "person" ?

Just went to Design Expo at Singapore Expo yesterday.. The following are the encounters with the ID/Contractors/Sales.

I think it's not reflective of the whole team in the firm but rather it is more of what I feel of the person handling my account.

Will only reveal the designer name once i elected one.

For all the ones who respond and I am interested, I will start asking to visit one of their completed projects.

Thanks for sharing !

I have been to the Expo and explored the various "ID"s in the past and it is so **** tiring repeating the same thing over and over again.

Each company has various sales and design co-ordinators but the problem is that you can only speak to one of them at each time. So if you happen to get a newbie or rogue design co-ordinators, i wonder whether can change the "person" ?

Yup. I understand it is not the firm that is bad but rather the person you speak too. Since your renovation contract is done by the person , not the firm. :) So, I would also want the few IDs I select to give me actual project references with site visit.

Like buddhist saying, I treat it as an affinity to the person. So, just find 10 and maybe only 1-2 will come back with design and quotation? So, that one more affinity.. :P

Have you done your reno as well? You seem to be very familiar with all the renovation process.

Yup. My renovation has been completed a few months back ...

These "ID"s at the expo are general contractors anyway.

Looking back, i wondered whether i should have just engaged individual sub-contractors myself for ceiling works, painting, carpenter etc cos it is very hard to find a good general contractor who will supervise the project properly. In the end, still got to supervise yourself - right down to where they put the nails. My concealed water pipe was punctured by the carpenter.

Affinity ? My wife liked this particular ID that we chosen but turned out to be a nightware. 3D drawings were not to scale (i think they are "recycled" 3D drawings). I had to do up my own 3D perspectives eventually. Commencement of renovation was delayed. Completion of renovation was delayed. Painting was bad. Ceiling works were done wrongly. Flooring was scratched. They only saving grace was that the carpentry work was OK. Thankfully, i didnt have to do any wet works ....

Yup. I understand it is not the firm that is bad but rather the person you speak too. Since your renovation contract is done by the person , not the firm. :) So, I would also want the few IDs I select to give me actual project references with site visit.

Like buddhist saying, I treat it as an affinity to the person. So, just find 10 and maybe only 1-2 will come back with design and quotation? So, that one more affinity.. :P

Have you done your reno as well? You seem to be very familiar with all the renovation process.

Yup. My renovation has been completed a few months back ...

These "ID"s at the expo are general contractors anyway.

Looking back, i wondered whether i should have just engaged individual sub-contractors myself for ceiling works, painting, carpenter etc cos it is very hard to find a good general contractor who will supervise the project properly. In the end, still got to supervise yourself - right down to where they put the nails. My concealed water pipe was punctured by the carpenter.

Affinity ? My wife liked this particular ID that we chosen but turned out to be a nightware. 3D drawings were not to scale (i think they are "recycled" 3D drawings). I had to do up my own 3D perspectives eventually. Commencement of renovation was delayed. Completion of renovation was delayed. Painting was bad. Ceiling works were done wrongly. Flooring was scratched. They only saving grace was that the carpentry work was OK. Thankfully, i didnt have to do any wet works ....

Oh, but I'm very sure of the ID who do 2D Drawing is ID. Anyway, yes, sometimes what seems like a good partnership might turn out otherwise after the contract is signed. Hopefully, I will get one without much of your problems :P

You got any renoblog to share? Quite interested to see yours :)

Edited by wj888

Wow Piang, why bother to look for so many IDs. I just "use" back the ID 3 years ago who did my condo. "Know you, know me" is the key. The trust & rapport already there, just tell your ideas, some specific materials, then come with some graphic sketches, colors matching is important. Materials kept changing, good IDs must catch up with time & new systems.

Dakato Residence pretty ex, just downloaded the price with unit numbers:

dakotaresidencepage1.jpg

dakotaresidencepage2.jpg

dakotaresidencepage3.jpg

Edited by bepgof

Wow Piang, why bother to look for so many IDs. I just "use" back the ID 3 years ago who did my condo. "Know you, know me" is the key. The trust & rapport already there, just tell your ideas, some specific materials, then come with some graphic sketches, colors matching is important. Materials kept changing, good IDs must catch up with time & new systems.

hehe.. the problem is my ID is 10yrs ago.. Also donno whether he is dead or alive.

Anyway, I convey requirements to the various IDs within 3 hours I was at the Expo.

As you can see, after that 3 hours, I have only identify 3 potential IDs.

So I will work with these 3 IDs.

Plush Living ID is **** proactive. Today, she already secured a viewing at one of her completed project.

Unimax Creative ID responded with email on her timeline for completing the layout and 3D.

"Image""Creative" Design ID sms me on his timeline for completing the layout and 2D too.

Edited by wj888