Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
treeOfLife

Non Payment Tenant

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation
I guess what I said here all very theoretical. In reality what happen if the tenants has nothing to pay, no furniture, no money. Do you still want to sue him? What to do then, you go really lock up the door?

Now you understand what I meant for "school leaver". Time = $.

Sue them for 5K, 10K? Forget it. Aks them pay up and go, get new tenant.

Edited by bepgof

Can try the Small Claim Courts which hears disputes for contracts of residential premises that do not exceed 2 years.

Now you understand what I meant for "school leaver". Time = $.

Sue them for 5K, 10K? Forget it. Aks them pay up and go, get new tenant.

I have rented my house to a local family who are doing business. They told me that they cannot make full payment this month. They drive Mercedes and with very posh furniture.

I accepted the partial payment. More than half month past. The other part of payment of the month is due and they didn't answer my SMS for the rental.

What should I do? Do you think will they be a good tenant in future?

I have been once bitten, twice shy. Lost money because of such a tenant and they killed my plants in the process coz they didn't bother to look after them! My previous tenant was a local family of 3 (husband, wife & daughter) , said that they ran businesses in Brunei blah blah blah and travel a lot, hardly at home. The guy can sign cheque but cheque never cleared! Keep saying that it's a problem with the bank. BS.

Just curious - how long have your tenants been staying there? And is this the first time that they cannot pay the rent?

If they just moved in and cannot pay rent, I would be very suspicious.

1) I would call my lawyers to send them a registered letter (Notice of eviction) if they do not pay by a certain date. I would give them another 2 weeks max if I were you. You still have the 1mth or 1/2 mth deposit money?

2) If you have the name of the company that they own, get your lawyer to do a search to see if the tenants are running a bogus company and if the individuals / company they own also owes money to other people. (Happened in my case!)

3) If the tenants still do not pay up by the stated date, you have the right to enter the house and kick them out (I had to literally do that!) Would help if you have some rusty faced people with you :P Hope that you don't have to resort to that though.

If they have been staying at your place for over a year and now this happens, I would give them chance, but still send them lawyers letter to inform them of interest owed and that they would be evicted if they do not pay up (with interest) by a certain date.

Hi TreeOfLife,

my hse also has bn rented to a local malay/indian mixed family. they nvr pay on time from 2nd mths onwrds.

so far they still respond to my prompting. i hv went to my hse once and met them together with their agent and mine. that's in the 7th mth when the delay has become a challenge.

what my tenant always did was he promise a date for payment, say 5th of the mth. by that day, he nvr pay. com up with alot of excuses.

To cut the story short, som how or rather, he manages to pay, but not without much prompting from me & my agent.

I hv aso learn to know my rights within the agreement. i always serve him notice/warning with a deadline & followingup action. i specifically tell him that once no paym is recvd on the deadline, notice of termination will commence, say 2weeks. i try not to 'eat' into the 1mth advance paym that i n holding onto, as he may need to compensate on any damages to my property. once times up, they shall be evacuated regardless with furniture or not.

so far, my tenant knows my limit and he has yet to cross them.

If it's female tenant, I will hang lizards and cockroaches at her doorstep. :D

u stay away from me.

lizard heeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

:P

Do u give tenant grace period to pay rental? Delay 2days?

hi Dean,

as stated in the tenancy agreement, grace period is 7days (from 1st day of the mth). from 7th day onwards, will be up to your leniency on them.

my tenant almos mostly pay by mid month. i try not to let them delay beyond mid mth. so at least i can hv a 2weeks termination period for them to mov out & for me to find new tenant.

I have been once bitten, twice shy. Lost money because of such a tenant and they killed my plants in the process coz they didn't bother to look after them! My previous tenant was a local family of 3 (husband, wife & daughter) , said that they ran businesses in Brunei blah blah blah and travel a lot, hardly at home. The guy can sign cheque but cheque never cleared! Keep saying that it's a problem with the bank. BS.

Just curious - how long have your tenants been staying there? And is this the first time that they cannot pay the rent?

If they just moved in and cannot pay rent, I would be very suspicious.

1) I would call my lawyers to send them a registered letter (Notice of eviction) if they do not pay by a certain date. I would give them another 2 weeks max if I were you. You still have the 1mth or 1/2 mth deposit money?

2) If you have the name of the company that they own, get your lawyer to do a search to see if the tenants are running a bogus company and if the individuals / company they own also owes money to other people. (Happened in my case!)

3) If the tenants still do not pay up by the stated date, you have the right to enter the house and kick them out (I had to literally do that!) Would help if you have some rusty faced people with you :P Hope that you don't have to resort to that though.

If they have been staying at your place for over a year and now this happens, I would give them chance, but still send them lawyers letter to inform them of interest owed and that they would be evicted if they do not pay up (with interest) by a certain date.

Your case sounds familiar. My uncle had a tenant like that some years back and it is also a family of 3. As they claim most of time travelling, so a nos. of time my uncle went to collect rent always not around ....only the daugther was around. But when things in the house were damage or spolit very fast to call.

After a non-payment of rent for 3 months, my uncle asked me and elder bro to go to the apartment with him. Didn't know my uncle was so pissed that he asked the daugther to contact her parents and come back now or she is going to sleep outside. (the couple claimed to be overseas, but when told of this showed up in 45mins)

Couple explained that the reasons they didn't pay rent b'cos there were items in the apartment were not working and they will only pay if the items were rectified. (claiming that the items in the house were all very old) That pissed my uncle even more. He immediately ask me go to his car, take the renovation document + all the electrical appliances that were purchased before the family moved in. Effectively the family had a brand new apartment. Couple than change tune and says business bad .....says will pay be end of the week. Uncle told the tenant, it is by 23:59 or evict.

LL the couple issued a cheque immediately, but uncle didn't want to take it and asked the family to go en-cash it immediately. Then badminton game start again..... even offer to leave his Rolex watch. Uncle was determine to get the rental payment or evict. Eventually, the tenant says they don't have money to pay and ask for 2 weeks for them to move out.