Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
csingeu

Our Lil Paradise

Updates! (Day 62 - 04 Jun 2011) [Part 2]

Kitchen track lights

Kitchen%20track%20light%201.JPG

lightings.com.sg finally sent the replacements for the track lights...

the previous ones were square... the ones I ordered were round...

anyway, my wife is super pissed with one of their staffs' attitude... (he's a PRC guy)...

we changed our downlights over the phone, after viewing other downlights on their website...

however, when they sent the downlights over... it was supposed to be 2x13W... somehow, the 13W tube seems too big to fit in...

and our electrician has no idea to how to fix it...

when after lunch, we went to Chelsea lightings to look at their downlights... we realised that, most of them have a small "trapdoor" to allow the tubes to slide in slightly, before being plugged in...

BUT the downlights we gotten from lightings.com.sg do not have this feature, and we have no idea how to fit the 13W tube inside...

and the stupid PRC guy on the phone kept insisting that it can be done, and it's because we don't know how to fix, without even bothering to find out, whether they sent the wrong downlight (as in the wrong size)... or the tubes are wrong... i would put it... he's totally unhelpful... he wanted us to go down with the downlight and the tubes, and show us how it's done...

when the deliveryman came, we told him to take a look, even without trying, he knew it's quite impossible to fit in... and that the size is probably wrong... so we called back lightings.com.sg again... and with their own staff explaining it... they finally agreed to send down their own contractor on Tue, which i'll be taking PM leave to oversee the installation of the fancoil units, the laundry system too...

Kitchen%20track%20light%202.JPG

Kitchen%20track%20light%203.JPG

i totally love the effect created by the track lights... :D

3x4W LED track lights... each piece is abt $50+ (due to LED lights)... but at least it's very energy-efficient and not too hot (compared to the generic halogen ones)... though the warmness of the halogen lights look better...

initially, i was tracking of using them more like surface mounted downlights... and i realised that having them reflecting the wall (esp a white glossy one) will have a greater lighting effect...

Level 2 walkway

Level%202%20track%20light%201.JPG

Level%202%20track%20light%202.JPG

like i've mentioned earlier, the track lights were meant to be surface mounted downlights initially, hence i told the electrician to install them at the middle of the walking path...

but just now, when i was adjusting it by reflecting off the wall, i should have gotten the track light further out (as suggested by the electrician), so that there's greater angle to reflect off the walls...

i like the lighting effect by the track lights - the lighted areas and the shadows... makes the not-so-interesting place more interesting... instead of being totally white-washed out (which my super bright staircase wall light does a "superb" job)...

I'm tempted to add more track lights to the Level 2 walkway... to direct spotlight at the dark corners to create some interesting shadows and visuals... :P

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation

Updates! (Day 62 - 04 Jun 2011)

Some work-in-progress shots...

MBR bathroom

MBR%20bathroom.JPG

it's kind of squeezy; but still not too bad, after the glass shower screen and the glass bathroom doors are up...

need to tell the contractor to paint the box-up in grey... to fit in the grey theme...

Common bathroom

i really prefer the common bathroom layout... but somehow, due to the box-up of the waste pipes (which includes an overhang portion above the vanity counter), it sort of blocked the only bathroom light... u can see the angle from the shadow on the white box-up...

and i really should tell them to paint the box-up grey... it's kind of a sore...

i like your wardrobe doors and happy for you on the progress of your reno, please try not to stress out and be depress about it as best as you can. i totally get how it doesnt help with your parents being in the picture as well :(

and i finally see what you mean by the odd layout of your MBR bathroom, that day when we went , i was clueless as to what you were referring to rolleyes.gif

swimming.gif

Updates! (Day 62 - 04 Jun 2011)

Some work-in-progress shots...

MBR wardobe

The frosted glass doors look kind of transparent ah?

The MBR is the only bedroom that's different in colour scheme... the 2 common rooms are having more warm neutral kind...

The MBR is more cool neutral... snowfield, mosaic grey...

Common room wardrobe

The only common room with built-in wardrobe, as it has a recessed area, just suitable for it, and also to cut some costs...

This will double up as the guest room for the time being...

The other room will be empty for now... might use it as an activity room, for my wife, when she has mahjong with her kakis...

Or, i might convert it into an "activity" room...

the colour scheme is chalk with natural linen...

MBR bathroom

it's kind of squeezy; but still not too bad, after the glass shower screen and the glass bathroom doors are up...

need to tell the contractor to paint the box-up in grey... to fit in the grey theme...

Common bathroom

i really prefer the common bathroom layout... but somehow, due to the box-up of the waste pipes (which includes an overhang portion above the vanity counter), it sort of blocked the only bathroom light... u can see the angle from the shadow on the white box-up...

and i really should tell them to paint the box-up grey... it's kind of a sore...

oh saw ur wardrobes!! they are nice but frosted glass tends to admit light so that it is a bit translucent. so better tidy up!! hee

will also be doing wardrobe like yours in common bedroom 3 since there is a recess too!

yeah i think our MBR bathroom is more smaller than common one. the common one seems bigger and more comfy too! yeah i agree the box up seems very 'white'! think i will not box up the pipes!

i like your wardrobe doors and happy for you on the progress of your reno, please try not to stress out and be depress about it as best as you can. i totally get how it doesnt help with your parents being in the picture as well :(

and i finally see what you mean by the odd layout of your MBR bathroom, that day when we went , i was clueless as to what you were referring to rolleyes.gif

swimming.gif

Thanks.

We topped up a little for the frosted glass doors... coz i'm lazy to choose what laminate for the wardrobe...

and such doors seem to be the "in" thing now... and might actually lasy longer...

so yes... now with the shower screen, and the vanity counter up... you can actually visualize how the end-product is... and the "narrow" path between the entrance to the wash basin or WC...

anyway, we were expecting much worse; so in a way, we actually quite happy with this...

but, if only i've read boyblunder's post abt altering the sewage pipes to switch position of the WC and wash basins, etc... i might have averted more headaches... and have better layout for my kitchen and 2 bathrooms...

oh well...

oh saw ur wardrobes!! they are nice but frosted glass tends to admit light so that it is a bit translucent. so better tidy up!! hee

will also be doing wardrobe like yours in common bedroom 3 since there is a recess too!

yeah i think our MBR bathroom is more smaller than common one. the common one seems bigger and more comfy too! yeah i agree the box up seems very 'white'! think i will not box up the pipes!

yah... maybe i should have opted for dark glass instead... oh well...

yes... our MBR bathroom quite odd layout and unless we do like lady_r, which is to really hack and rebuild the 2 bathrooms... it's hard to achieve a gd layout for the MBR bathroom... the common one seems more "sensible" in terms of layout, and if i knew abt the possibility to switch WC and wash basin, i wouldn't have my WC for the common bathroom, in front of the frosted glass door... LOL...

yes... i want to paint the "white" box-up grey... argh...

this is something very new..the tracklights..the downlight can move about one?

yes... actually... the beam is pretty narrow to be a proper downlight... think they act more like spotlights...

you need to actually install the track first... which is sold in abt $10-$12 per metre...

i only gotten 2 x 1-m tracks for the kitchen breakfast counter area and also the level 2 walkway...

the track lights have the flexibility to be placed anywhere along the track, and they can be directed at different spots... so quite a lot of versatility...

it's more commonly used to direct light to wall features, especially paintings, or some display... but i think when used in a certain manner, it can help create shadows and lighted areas... which makes the areas more visually interesting, rather than a complete white-wash, due to overwhelming lights...

i'll be switching on my LED track lights quite frequently, since they emit less heat and use less energy....

I like your wardrobes.... Things are shaping up ..... :) and your toilets are fabulous.

Our solution to the tight MBR washroom was to cleave a corner off the shower stall but that brought its own problems because the door hinge didn't really like the angle it met the shower stall glass. We had quite a bit of leakage to the outside of the stall until the contractor came back to fix things up. Its better now, but we still have to take care not to spray water against the door.

IMG_3353.jpg

Hi,

Unfortunately cannot see the pics you have posted from work so will have to wait until I get home.

If you are worried about the HDMI cable then just plug a dvd/bluray player in at the projector end (get someone to hold it just to test) and plug a TV at the other end. This should give you a fair idea if there is an issue with the cable and hopefully put your mind at ease, at least on that subject.

RB.

Edited by RimBlock

the color scheme for your rooms looks comforting.

Nice shades indeed.

The kitchen cabinets really has woody feel.

For sure, after 10yrs, wont 过时.

Nice tone, i like!

its matt feel hor.

too bad my hub prefer glossy laminates. else i will go for urs. :)

overall your reno coming up nice and great!

hmm.. though abit not energy-saving la. 2x26w = 52.. but think that light wont switch on so often hor.

I'm surprised track light for kitchen looks good. as in, the lights looks sufficient.

Yes, the light from led can make the place so different when diffused against the wall/items. :)

Kitchen%20track%20light%203.JPG

is that a drop on the flooring where the barstools will be? Might be a little hard to sit, considering that u practically have to lean forward onto the island top to rest your elbows?

is that a drop on the flooring where the barstools will be? Might be a little hard to sit, considering that u practically have to lean forward onto the island top to rest your elbows?

Oh... That's true...

I did consider the issue of the chairs not able to shift it fully...

I should have insisted to increase the extend the floor underneath the breakfast counter, by at least another 30cm...

Argh...

I think for sitting, it's maybe still ok, depending on the base of the chairs I'm getting. But definitely won't be able to tuck the chairs in properly, when not in used...

:bangwall: it's potentially a safety hazard

Oh... That's true...

I did consider the issue of the chairs not able to shift it fully...

I should have insisted to increase the extend the floor underneath the breakfast counter, by at least another 30cm...

Argh...

I think for sitting, it's maybe still ok, depending on the base of the chairs I'm getting. But definitely won't be able to tuck the chairs in properly, when not in used...

:bangwall: it's potentially a safety hazard

Your contractor can rise the floor just underneath the counter same level as the living area, you might want to check with him :)

Your bathroom is nicely done up. Even your door to the bathroom is glass .... Looks very classy. :)

Our solution to the tight MBR washroom was to cleave a corner off the shower stall but that brought its own problems because the door hinge didn't really like the angle it met the shower stall glass. We had quite a bit of leakage to the outside of the stall until the contractor came back to fix things up. Its better now, but we still have to take care not to spray water against the door.

IMG_3353.jpg

Hey cleong,

your MBR bathroom's really pretty... :)

actually, some of the other IDs we had met earlier on, did mentioned it's possible to do what you are doing... but we didn't quite give it much thought, as we thought it might reduce the shower stall space...

i like the warm white light... and also the ventilation fan... i should have insisted on it... argh...